collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pistol help needed, any tips on a good revolver?  (Read 5504 times)

Offline edmondshunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
Pistol help needed, any tips on a good revolver?
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »
Im looking into a side arm pistol for 07 hunting season.  I need a revolver I can hunt with and also use as a side arm.

Ive looked at a few, Taurus 44mag titanium, Ruger Blackhawk in 41mag&44m,  and a few of the Smith/Wesson 44's.

Any one care to give there opinion?  Is 41mag big enough? Ive been told 44 and up, but Im curious about ballistics 44m vs 41m?

Funds are also a factor, Im cheap and not rich.  So for me a 454 cas. is out.

Thanks
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
Re: Pistol help needed, any tips on a good revolver?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 06:32:47 PM »
What are you planning to hunt with it? Is it going to be a main shooter or a backup?
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »
Hunt what? How often? what conditions? (range etc?)
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »
I Love my Super Blackhawk SS .44, but it does get heavy as a side arm during long days.  Have used it on Bear and Elk, did the trick nicely.
- Scott

Offline snohohunter

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:27:47 PM »
I pack a Ruger Vaquero 45, but i really want the 'Judge'.  Looks like one hell of a gun. 

Has anyone shot one?  45 LC/410.  Here's a link - pretty awesome gun.  410 for grouse, 45 if you need it...all in the same cylinder.  http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=41

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. It does about 95% of what a .44 mag will do with a smidge less recoil.

I'd have no problems dropping the hammer on a deer out to about 100yds. I'd whack an elk out to about 50yds.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »
Nothing wrong with a .41 , I would do anything with it I would with a .44

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:52:28 PM »
I want to hunt big game, deer, elk, bear.   Also weather that I hunt is usually raining.  Weight is an issue as well

Offline hangumhi

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
If I'm reading this right you're looking for a sidearm not a hunting revolver right? I carry a GP100 with a 3 inch barrel it's chambered in .357 phenomal accuracy out of the box no trigger work.  I bought mine used for 240 which is a steal but you can pick them up used for 300-350 used sometimes.  Remember that you can shoot corbons out of these because of the thick wall design.  That's makes for one heck of a hot powerful load. 

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag. It does about 95% of what a .44 mag will do with a smidge less recoil.

I'd have no problems dropping the hammer on a deer out to about 100yds. I'd whack an elk out to about 50yds.

Once you go over a 240gr bullet a .41 does little a .44 can.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 12:51:52 PM »
I have never owned or shot a .41 magnum but If I had to choose 3 calibers it would be in this order:

.45 Long Colt
.44 Mag

I currently have a 320 grain load for my Ruger Super blackhawk 44 that allows me to get really good shot groups with the 2x scope. It shoots really well with iron sights as well... I would have gotten a .45 LC if they made this model revolver I wanted in that caliber.. But the Super Redhawk I believe comes in .45 LC as probably does other versions of the BH which I was not interested in. In retrospect I am not convinced that a SRH is an all around more sturdy or better gun than the SBH. It's my understanding that the SRH doesn't handle the recoil as well as my pistol but does offer more options in the fancy grip arena and different calibers like the 454 or 480. If single or double action are  important to your needs then that might be a simple choice between these two models...

240 grain bullets are what I use for plinking loads in the .44 super blackhawk.. They'd probably do some good damage to most animals though...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:58:17 PM by huntwa »

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »
Im looking into a side arm pistol for 07 hunting season.  I need a revolver I can hunt with and also use as a side arm.

If I'm reading this right you're looking for a sidearm not a hunting revolver right? I carry a GP100 with a 3 inch barrel it's chambered in .357 phenomal accuracy out of the box no trigger work.   

To be legal for a hunting sidearm, or to hunt with, it must have a 4" barrel (minimum).
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »
just clear up any confusion, Im looking for a revolver that will do both, side arm and hunting.

anyone have or shot the Taurus 44m titanium?   I like that the 4in.barrel model weighs 20 oz.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
That small weight means it will probably kick a lot more and not handle as well. suggest you shoot it before you buy it if you can.

Offline Webfoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »
I would think that you will be giving up a lot things if you think that one gun will do both.

John

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »
Thanks for the advise everyone. 

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 06:27:08 PM »
44 mag would be a great caliber all around. But if you are looking for a gun that you can hunt with i would recommend getting something with a longer barrel. You will run into problems with accuracy out to medium to longer distances due to the amount of powder that gets wasted out the end of a shorter barrel and a longer barrel will reduce your recoil between shoots as well....A 4 inch would be ok for maybe 25 to 50 yards after that you will just be spraying bullets. But then you might want to look at wether you want to get a scope or if you are going to keep a open sight? Here are two styles.

or if you are looking at getting a regular scope....

if you are going to go with a scope i would recommend an open dot style because it Gives you less loss of your FOV as you are looking at the animal from when you are pulling up the pistol to sight in on it.....But a Regular scope would be just fine also......

Google hunting with a Pistol and you will get alot of searches for optimum calibers to use for hunting.

Ultimately Any Cartridge larger than .357Mag is going to have a good knock down power..44 being one of mu favorites.....My Grandma havbing both shoulder operated on and full arthritis through both arms hunted Arizona Elk with a .357 With i believe a 6inch barrel scoped and she had shoot several Elk with that upto about 75yrds and Was sucessful........

But really it all comes down to what feels good to you and what fits well in your hand.....

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »
I've never used that dot style.

The scope I have allows me to easily acquire my target swiftly; but yes you have tunnel vision to some degree. I am not too concerned with it as I can just look over the barrel and reacquire the target again if necessary. I was tempted to get a variable powered or stronger powered scope but I am now glad that I did not. 2x was just perfect for me. To each his own.

I agree with you that it is also important to have a longer and heavier barrel from an accuracy and handling standpoint.

If you ever want to come down to Kirkland and shoot my pistol we can arrange it. I am just looking for reasons to blast away. Plus the ammo cache keeps growing so that means I must start getting rid of it.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
HuntWa  Id be down to shoot with you.  Im not real far from ya either.  I got a old 1945 rem. .22 pump rifle that Ive been itching to shoot as well.

Thanks again for the advise

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 05:44:34 AM »
44 mag would be a great caliber all around. But if you are looking for a gun that you can hunt with i would recommend getting something with a longer barrel. You will run into problems with accuracy out to medium to longer distances due to the amount of powder that gets wasted out the end of a shorter barrel and a longer barrel will reduce your recoil between shoots as well....A 4 inch would be ok for maybe 25 to 50 yards after that you will just be spraying bullets. But then you might want to look at wether you want to get a scope or if you are going to keep a open sight? Here are two styles.

or if you are looking at getting a regular scope....

if you are going to go with a scope i would recommend an open dot style because it Gives you less loss of your FOV as you are looking at the animal from when you are pulling up the pistol to sight in on it.....But a Regular scope would be just fine also......

Google hunting with a Pistol and you will get alot of searches for optimum calibers to use for hunting.

Ultimately Any Cartridge larger than .357Mag is going to have a good knock down power..44 being one of mu favorites.....My Grandma havbing both shoulder operated on and full arthritis through both arms hunted Arizona Elk with a .357 With i believe a 6inch barrel scoped and she had shoot several Elk with that upto about 75yrds and Was sucessful........

But really it all comes down to what feels good to you and what fits well in your hand.....

lol
You can shoot a lot farther than 25 or 50 yards accurately with a four inch barrel.  I have seen my dad many, many, many, times shoot six shoot groups at 200 yards that you could cover with one hand.  And this is with a four inch open sight .44 anaconda.  All it takes is practice.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
If your looking for a revolver to pack and or hunt with, I wouldn't go with anything over 5.5". Personaly I won't pack a pistol longer than 4 5/8" if i'm packing anything else. Now if your just hunting with a pistol any barrel lenght is fine. 41 mag, 44 mag, or 45 colt, either of these will work.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 10:46:29 AM »
The Dan Wesson Revolvers
The most versatile, and accurate revolvers made
http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm

Take some time and go to this site and read about the Dan Wesson. I have owned two them and would not own any other Wheel Gun. While hunting in North Carolina, I have killed 6 bears, and countless deer with My Dan Wesson .44 mag with 10" barrel.
It is an opinion but it is backed by Workmanship and Quality. Just do some homework on them.

Added incentive: Hunt all day with 10"barrel, quick change to 4" barrel for Bar fights the same night.  :chuckle:

Just joking I don't even drink but I have been to some places where they check ya at the door for guns and or knives. If ya don't have one, they loan one.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
I don't think you'll find too many people shooting 4 to 6 inch groups utilizing a pistol with a 4 inch barrel with open sights out to 200 yards. That goes for off hand or even with a rest of some sort...

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »
Ray judging from my performance at the range with your 44mag, I think inside of a hundred is the way to go.

Thanks again for the invite

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]