collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 300 wsm  (Read 9630 times)

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
Re: 300 wsm
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »
I would go with the Tikka in the 300 wsm.  Light weight, nice action, and accurate.

The 300 wsm is an accurate round and if you handload, even better.  My nephew knocked a bull flat at 400 yds with his.  The bull dropped in  his tracks.   My brother has one in a Browning BAR.  We are getting 1/2 in. groups at 100 yds with it so far.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline Three_Oh_Eight

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »
To be super honest, I'd stay away from any Remington M700 in a WSM chambering.  I'll probably get flamed for that opinion, but I've noticed this on several of them chambered in 270 and 300 WSM.  The first issue is the lips on the magazine have to release the round perfectly during feeding to keep the shoulder of the cartridge from skipping off the feed ramp and going bullet-first into the top of the receiver ring, missing the chamber.  Seems to be a bigger issue when feeding quickly.  I also feel the M700 magazine box and action are too short for the WSM, especially if you reload.  As a reloader, I like a bit of room to fit my OAL to my chamber/throat.  I prefer a controlled-round feed action such as a Winchester M70 for the WSM because the timing of the release from the magazine doesn't matter as much. The rim snaps under the extractor and is "controlled" into the chamber.

I wouldn't touch a new Ruger M77 in any WSM case......Because they don't make them anymore! 

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
 :chuckle: i think some people need to learn how to read :rolleyes: WOULD NOT GET and everyone is telling him what gun to get :chuckle: funny stuff right there. and since this is my  :twocents: lets try to keep this from running away and getting off key with other people saying why they don't like my  :twocents: or others as well that always seems to happen  :chuckle:

1: i do not like savage rifles at all. i will not own one. and i have a hard time shooting one. the reaons why which you asked for are. i was shooting a 300 win mag sav that one of my friends had andthe accu trigger was not working right. he took it in and said it was fixxed so i went to shoot it again next time at the range first round out the gun was fine but tried the 2 round and no matter how hard i pulled it would not move re chambered a new round and the trigger creeped back but would not go farther back when i let off the trigger the gun went off and dropped the hammer how i do not know and never will. scared the $hit out of me bad so that was the first bad time i had with one and there will never be a second 2 many good guns for me to have to shoot one i don't like.

now remember lets keep this on subject and not jump all over the place why you think i am wrong and savages are great that is not what this topic is about :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • All good things come to those who shoot strait.
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
Thanks carpsniperg2, That's what I'm looking for. what model were you shooting when you had all those problems?. savage has been one I am/was interested in, I found many articles that rate the 110's w/ the accustock very high. In fact most have it ranked #1. July issue of Field and stream has it #1 and the Vanguard #3, My NRA American Hunter gave it the golden bullseye award. Now I understand they get free guns to use and advertising money. Just wondering you thoughts. And thanks for being one of the few who understood the question. Savage has moved down the list and gives me good questions to ask when I look at the guns Saturday, at cabela's.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
no prob bud, i do the same thing that you are doing when i am looking for new guns that i am intrested in like i said i would have to talk to him to know. i know a lot about many brands of guns but not savage so to be 100% sure on the model i am not sure but 99 or somethin like that sticks in my mind. they are not for me but i know others that love them to each there own vangaurd is a good one. but there is a few good ones if you are looking i would look at the vangaurd tikka sako remington side by side and get what fits you best and feels the best as well :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »
no prob bud, i do the same thing that you are doing when i am looking for new guns that i am intrested in like i said i would have to talk to him to know. i know a lot about many brands of guns but not savage so to be 100% sure on the model i am not sure but 99 or somethin like that sticks in my mind. they are not for me but i know others that love them to each there own vangaurd is a good one. but there is a few good ones if you are looking i would look at the vangaurd tikka sako remington side by side and get what fits you best and feels the best as well :tup:

Thanks again, I hope every one understands what I'm asking for now. I like the suggestions on what I should get, that's easy-same gun they hunt with_ but know the problems with a gun first helps a lot more.

Offline GooNiEs

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:10 PM »
hey bugman .. i own a savage .300wm and love it... no regrets never had a problem with my accutrigger.. my buddy ben has the savage in .300wsm but i think they only make that caliber in a bull barrel which weight would be a factor. I also own a howa mod. 1500 7mm mag and thats a tack driver too no problems there ... but i know 7mm isnt a .300wsm

Offline ML_Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 07:05:43 PM »
I don't like the Savage and here's why.  Next time Your looking at one, take a close look at the trigger.  If you pull the trigger anywere on the outside of it with out depressing the center "Accu" part you will hear a click and it only take about 1lb of pressure to do so.  The firing pin will not go off.  But now you cant even pull the trigger for its just been released!  The only way to now shoot is to work the bolt and and pull the trigger again.  This may never happen to you at the range, but can happen in the field.  Your hands are cold, wet, or your wearing gloves or simply get too excited.  You go to reach for the trigger and accidentally hit the outside of the trigger releasing the trigger but not the firing pin.  Opps you may not have a second shot, you may be shooting at moving game, or a cat may be chasing you and you don't have time to work the bolt and shoot again.  At other time you may have the time to do so.

Last season, a friend of mine and I were hunting the October rifle season.  I hunt muzzle loader and have been trying to get a bear with my muzzy so I did not have a modern rifle with me.  We saw a cat on the edge of a clear cut and told him to take the shot for it was WAY to far my the muzzy!  He got excited and as he was extending the legs of the bi-pod he touched the outside edge of the trigger and both heard the gun go click.  Thinking he had a hang fire he waited a few second just in case prior to working the bolt again.  I keep eye on the cat and it started to move so he tried getting back on it and was unable to get a second shot off.  When we picked up the round we noticed the firing pin never struck the primer.  We took the next day to go to the range and all seamed to work fine but why did that one round not go off.  Well after some playing around with his rifle and the trigger group we found out why.  And I've tested this on every gun with the Accutrigger and they all do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, The guns shoot great, there not that expensive, and they are great sellers, but that trigger I'm sure has cause several folks to lose animals.

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 08:30:18 PM »
I don't like the Savage and here's why.  Next time Your looking at one, take a close look at the trigger.  If you pull the trigger anywere on the outside of it with out depressing the center "Accu" part you will hear a click and it only take about 1lb of pressure to do so.  The firing pin will not go off.  But now you cant even pull the trigger for its just been released!  The only way to now shoot is to work the bolt and and pull the trigger again.  This may never happen to you at the range, but can happen in the field.  Your hands are cold, wet, or your wearing gloves or simply get too excited.  You go to reach for the trigger and accidentally hit the outside of the trigger releasing the trigger but not the firing pin.  Opps you may not have a second shot, you may be shooting at moving game, or a cat may be chasing you and you don't have time to work the bolt and shoot again.  At other time you may have the time to do so.

Last season, a friend of mine and I were hunting the October rifle season.  I hunt muzzle loader and have been trying to get a bear with my muzzy so I did not have a modern rifle with me.  We saw a cat on the edge of a clear cut and told him to take the shot for it was WAY to far my the muzzy!  He got excited and as he was extending the legs of the bi-pod he touched the outside edge of the trigger and both heard the gun go click.  Thinking he had a hang fire he waited a few second just in case prior to working the bolt again.  I keep eye on the cat and it started to move so he tried getting back on it and was unable to get a second shot off.  When we picked up the round we noticed the firing pin never struck the primer.  We took the next day to go to the range and all seamed to work fine but why did that one round not go off.  Well after some playing around with his rifle and the trigger group we found out why.  And I've tested this on every gun with the Accutrigger and they all do the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, The guns shoot great, there not that expensive, and they are great sellers, but that trigger I'm sure has cause several folks to lose animals.

Outstanding
Great info thanks, that will help in making my decision.

Offline Three_Oh_Eight

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »
I'm not into Savages because they look like they are made from used tractor parts.

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »
I'm not into Savages because they look like they are made from used tractor parts.

A good looking rifle and a good working rifle CAN be two different things, I'm buying this gun to be a useful, tool, if it looks good too great. but toughness, usability are the first things.

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:04 AM »
i'll be at  Cabela's picking out a rifle tomorrow, thanks for all the help everyone.

Offline BrettinWen

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
Pick out the Tikka! I've hunted with a T3 stainless in 300WSM for the past 3 years.  I drew the entiat A a few years back and drilled a 160 class at 438 yards.  Last year a 6 point bull in Idaho went down to the 165gr handload.  The Tikka has the best trigger and guaranteed 1 minute out of the box.  Mine's a tack driver and I wouldn't part with it for $10K!  I might take $11K if anyone is interested.

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
I've heard some good things about the tikkas. only one guy had trouble with his. but it seems each rifle has atleast one problem child. it should be fun shopping.

Offline ML_Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »
I've heard some good things about the tikkas. only one guy had trouble with his. but it seems each rifle has atleast one problem child. it should be fun shopping.

If you have any issues with the gun, you can take it to Cabelas within 30 days and they'll replace it.  They did that for my TCP.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal