collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Know thy enemy  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
Know thy enemy
« on: March 06, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
Who is behind ammunition coding? According to CCRKBA it's one company looking for a monopoly and a means to use their technology to enforce it everywhere.. That company - http://www.ammocoding.com/

http://www.ccrkba.org/pub/rkba/press-releases/ammunition.stamping.htm

CCRKBA SUGGESTS INVESTIGATION OF AMMUNITION CODING CAMPAIGN
For Immediate Release: February 25, 2008

BELLEVUE, WA – The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms today is calling on lawmakers in the states of Washington, Arizona, New York, Illinois, Hawaii and several other states to scrutinize legislation that would require ammunition coding, because it mandates a sole-source monopoly for a Seattle-based company that owns the technology.

Based on a story in the new edition of Gun Week, and a look at virtually identical legislation that has been introduced in several states, CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb said there are serious questions that need to be addressed about these measures, and the effort to pass them into law.

“Sponsors of bills that would require coding of cartridge casings and bullets in their respective states have neglected to mention that there is only one company in the country with the technology, and that company has been working with a ‘hired-gun’ consulting firm that offers its help to lawmakers drafting the legislation,” Gottlieb said. “Essentially, you have state legislators working as promoters for a company called Ammunition Coding System, pushing measures in at least ten states that would mandate the use of this proprietary technology at the expense of gun owners.

“Even if the technology were licensed to various ammunition manufacturers,” he continued, “it still puts one company in a monopoly position. On its own website, the company even acknowledges that legislation would be required to implement what many gun owners believe is a back-door gun registry, by forcing dealers to keep records on who purchases ammunition.

“Creating a technology, and applying for a patent while hiring a consulting firm to push legislation that requires this technology is horribly self-serving,” Gottlieb added. “The fact that in every state these measures are being pushed, the sponsors are anti-gun lawmakers, simply adds to the suspicion.

“Giving one company a legislated monopoly in any other area would bring down a media firestorm,” Gottlieb stated. “The government would never allow it. State senators, representatives or assemblymen who get involved with this effort should ask themselves just what it’s worth to essentially be lobbyists for a monopoly.”

With more than 650,000 members and supporters nationwide, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is one of the nation’s premier gun rights organizations. As a non-profit organization, the Citizens Committee is dedicated to preserving firearms freedoms through active lobbying of elected officials and facilitating grass-roots organization of gun rights activists in local communities throughout the United States. The Citizens Committee can be reached by phone at               (425) 454-4911       , on the Internet at www.ccrkba.org or by email to InformationRequest@ccrkba.org.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
Re: Know thy enemy
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
Stock up now, and fight the proposal! I think we all need to get well versed in opposing this type of legislation. This type of crap is going to continue to confront us each year forever. Plan on it. Plan on fighting it.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline MuleySniper

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:06:37 PM »
No thanks. I think it's a waste of time and money. There is so much surplus ammo.  As for cutting down crime, even the stupid criminals wont use marked ammo. JMO.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline Jerbear

• Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 09:31:16 PM »
Muleysniper
You don't seem to get the picture.  Even stupid criminals will use what ever ammo is in the gun they steal.  You think they care.  this just another end run to get the law abiding citizen to fall in line.  If you don't think your gun rights are worth fighting for, I feel for you.  You have your guns today, because some of us have been on the front lines of the battle for a hell of long time.  Someone with your attitude tend to piss me off.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:05:16 AM »
Muleysniper
You don't seem to get the picture.  Even stupid criminals will use what ever ammo is in the gun they steal.  You think they care.  this just another end run to get the law abiding citizen to fall in line.  If you don't think your gun rights are worth fighting for, I feel for you.  You have your guns today, because some of us have been on the front lines of the battle for a hell of long time.  Someone with your attitude tend to piss me off.

+1

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 06:47:28 AM »
Muleysniper

No offense Jerbear, but you need to put on your glasses when you read these forums. I basically stated I dont agree with "coding" ammunition. This is a public forum where people express opinions. If I "pissed" you off with one of my reasons stated, either you cant read or you misunderstood my comment. There are many reasons why I wouldnt want encoded ammo. A "criminal" not caring what gun or bullets he/she uses comment you made is basically what I said in your words. Your bold for coming to a conclusion I dont care about my gun rights from a topic about bullet coding, maybe PM someone first before trying to make someone sound like they are an idiot.
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:25 AM »
In defense of Jerbear (unsolicited) I feel that we need to defend against any measure which attempts to regulate gun or ammo ownership. I think your first post, the "waste of time" is not clear. Are you saying fighting the legislation is a waste of time, or the legislation is a waste of time? A bit unclear. This is most probably where someone can get upset with the post. I think we are most all friends here. Especially on topics like this one.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:56:33 AM »
No thanks. I think it's a waste of time and money. There is so much surplus ammo. As for cutting down crime, even the stupid criminals wont use marked ammo. JMO.
MS

As I read it the Ammo isn't coded. The Firearm will have a device in it to stamp ammo as it is fired. Think about this very carefully! The next step is to require all Handguns to use this technology.

That puts the Outlawing of all current privately owned Handguns a pen stroke away.

This could be the most threatening piece of Legislation ever.

Think of the implications people. If only the Brass is stamped, what will that mean for Revolvers? They don't automatically eject brass, so if LE can't recover it will revolvers be banned? How would you stamp brass in a revolver?

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:05:08 AM by MikeWalking »

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:01:44 AM »
As I read it the Ammo isn't coded.

I think you're talking about microstamping. Where the firing pin stamps the ammo.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »
I think you're talking about microstamping. Where the firing pin stamps the ammo.

Hm? I might be on a differant page here. I saw the promo the other night but missed the story about a local company having new ammo related technology, assumed it was micro stamping. I've seen stories about brass & lead being marked by devices in the gun as it is fired.

I should probably do this before my morning coffee fix :rolleyes:  I make it strong enough to walk on it's own.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:16:55 AM by MikeWalking »

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 07:18:51 AM »
Here's the short version from their web page:

The key to ACS is the unique code that is micro-laser engraved on factory-produced ammunition. This laser engraving is etched on both the projectile and the inside of the cartridge casing. Each code will be common to a single box of cartridges and unique from all other ammunition sold. The unique ACS codes will be tracked and records maintained to identify individual ammunition purchases.

Offline Jerbear

• Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »
Muleysniper

Sorry if I took your statement wrong.  The first line kinda put a different spin on it.  Sorry if I offended you.
JERBEAR

Offline MuleySniper

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
No worries Jer :) I dabble a little in politics but thats about it. I was hoping you had just misunderstood my post. I guess I kind of worded it wrong too.
MS
Earl Ramsey

sisu

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:42:29 PM »
Muleysniper

Sorry if I took your statement wrong.  The first line kinda put a different spin on it.  Sorry if I offended you.
JERBEAR
No worries Jer :) I dabble a little in politics but thats about it. I was hoping you had just misunderstood my post. I guess I kind of worded it wrong too.
MS
I read the posts that both of you guys had put up and chuckled a lot to myself. The Internet is such a nice tool, but it is not like sitting and talking with someone. When I first started visiting the web and forums I got myself in so much hot water by not saying what I assumed was straight forward that it was not even funny. Long story but I'll give you the short version. A young man had died climbing a few years back and there was a discussion going on about the accident. Everyone has his and her ideas, anyway I blabbed back to this room temperature IQ woman from Ballard that my belief was: when your number is up the Fates have decided it's up and there is nothing you can do about it. The stupid B!^@) some how took it as a threat to her life and went off on the moderator. Needless to say I eventually left that site and only check it now and then to see what the liberals in Downtown Seattle are thinking.
Anyway it happens because it's not like sitting with someone talking and drinking coffee and all. I much prefer to sit down, suck on a good strong coffee and smoke a good quality cigar while my friends and I solve all the problems of the world. hahahahaha

Offline Cougfan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
MS

The one things I think you did get wrong in your original post was the statement about surplus ammo. I was at the Monroe gun show this weekend and one common theme there was how it's getting harder and harder to find ammo. Not to mention the price.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]