collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear calling  (Read 7280 times)

Offline woodman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Bear calling
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
I am sure that this has been on here before, but I would like to know. I hear warnings about being careful while calling for bear. Has anyone heard of a caller actually being attacked while doing his bear calling?

Offline NataSS

• Hunter
Re: Bear calling
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Havent heard of anyone being attacked but its the fact that doing it can be VERY unnerving.  Especially when "cold calling" them into you without having your eyes on one.  You may not have a bear coming in on you as well, it could be a cougar.

With alot of the areas being so thick you cant see until something is darn near on top of you.  Black bears tend to spook very easily but if you get one that is hungry enough, you have no idea what you could be in for.

Worst hunter in Western Wa.

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Havent heard of anyone being attacked but its the fact that doing it can be VERY unnerving.  Especially when "cold calling" them into you without having your eyes on one.  You may not have a bear coming in on you as well, it could be a cougar.

With alot of the areas being so thick you cant see until something is darn near on top of you.  Black bears tend to spook very easily but if you get one that is hungry enough, you have no idea what you could be in for.

I find this very interesting, I was charged by a sow with two cubs earlier this year and it was hair-raising to say the least, she came within 20' of me and veered off at the last moment. I did kill a bear about 4 or 5 years ago that field dressed at #360 that came less than 20' from me. I believe that it did not know that I was there. Also I have taken a cougar that was #200 plus pounds at about 30' so I do know the experience of close encounters. I am just curious if anyone has heard of a caller being attacked.

Offline NataSS

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »

I find this very interesting, I was charged by a sow with two cubs earlier this year and it was hair-raising to say the least, she came within 20' of me and veered off at the last moment. I did kill a bear about 4 or 5 years ago that field dressed at #360 that came less than 20' from me. I believe that it did not know that I was there. Also I have taken a cougar that was #200 plus pounds at about 30' so I do know the experience of close encounters. I am just curious if anyone has heard of a caller being attacked.

Where do you hunt and can i hunt with you?  LOL! :drool:  360 is a good sized blackie!
Worst hunter in Western Wa.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 02:08:49 PM »
One of the first few times I called, i heard pine needles just behind me being stepped on, you know how close something has to be to hear pine needles being stepped on,  :yike:  I turned my head slowly and there about 20 feet away was a smaller bear, starring right into my eyes.  Spoke softly to it, I didn't want to scare it too bad in case another bear was coming in.  It just stood there.  I stood up and spoke softly again.  It pinned it's ears back and took a step forward.  It was a case of mistaken identity, but I didn't wait for another stop, I hit it square in the face with a blast of pepper spray.  I like to carry pepper spray on those rare occasions you call in something too small and don't want to kill it.  Most times, once you make your presence known they will hightail it out....but once in a while they get aggressive.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline mulehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »
Maybe I should name myself  "DEAFBAIT"   :chuckle:  Cuz I couldnt hear anything behind me!  :yike:  I supposed to feel Goosebumper whole the times.

Mulehunter  :rolleyes:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »
i have never been full on grabbed or hurt, but me and my buddy shot a bear in self defense but we did have bear tags and were calling bears but we did not want to shoot the sow that came in. but we had no other choice, i am not into shooting sows but don't care if others do but we try our hardest not to. she came into about 40 yards when we got a good look at her "me and my buddy about 10 yards apart" we knew it was a sow. the caller was shut off and she caught our wind and she came walking strait toward us which was weird. when she got to about 25 yards and locked eyes with us she stopped and looked at us for a min then she started walking towards us then we stood up and yelled at her. she kicked it into high gear with her ears laid back heading right for us. there was no choice she got to 11 steps from me and about 18 from my buddy and that was the end of that. i felt really bad but there was no choice she meant to do us harm and that was it. i was not going to wait the last few steps to see if she would pull off in my mind i know she was in the red zone and was not going to, so the end. point is that they are dangerous animals when in the wrong situation. we have had some pretty hot/mad bears with the cub distress as well but none had never pushed it like she did. we have been bluffed before as well. the call was our fave the fawn bawl so i have no idea why she was so pissed off for.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 03:23:42 PM »
I only have been calling since this spring, but had a bear come in across the opening I had my back to, and down wind of me, spooked at 15 feet away, startled the hell out of me !! :yike:
This fall I will be sitting on top of stumps instead of with my back to them...
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
Attacks while calling are something that has been on the back of my mind for quite a while.

Not so much due to bear...I feel as though I have a decent chance of detecting their presence before it's too late...but lately I've become VERY aware of the concentration of cougars in some of the areas I like to hunt. I've seen first hand how quietly they can move through brush, and how quickly they can cover ground that I wouldn't even have a chance in.

I've never heard of an attack while calling, but I did witness a coyote pup jump into the lap of a hunting partner. It must've seen his hand moving while mouth calling...I looked over at the last minute to see this young dog "pounce" on his lap. I'm not sure which one jumped higher or yelped louder.. :chuckle:
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
i was calling coyotes in some thick stuff and i had a bear come flying in. i couldn't see it until it was about 50 ft away and it was running full speed. i didn't even have time to think, just raised my gun and shot... i don't even remember aiming. drilled it right in the head (luck) it was running so hard that when i shot it, it did a summer sault before it came to a stop about 10 ft away. needless to say i always worry about this a little bit.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline stumprat

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
I havn't heard of any attacks while calling. 2 years ago I had a bear approach from the rear on a Bobcat stand. It came within 20-25 yards. When the wind shifted instead of leaving. It started popping it's teeth and blowing at me. Then proceeded to beat the hell out of a stump. Then just disappeared.
Now I carry a sidearm while calling.

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:39 AM »
I really appreciate the replies. They just support the fact that you better be on your game while doing this type of hunting.

Joe

Offline wabow

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
I learned the hard way not to try cub cries on the ground. Sows come in angry and fast if they lost sight of their cubs. Bores just think its a free meal and another chance at estrus.

Wabow

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
Never attacked, but as with everyone else, I am cautious about it. Something to your back or be at least higher up on a stump.

Had a color phase within 15 yards of me last year. I couldnt see it but my brother was watching it stalk me. It would only move when I called (hence why I couldnt hear it), and it was drooling heavily. ;)

Love calling.

Offline Earshot

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
Do any of you call alone or do you always have backup? I was going to head out alone, I usually see more animals when I'm alone.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
Im calling alone about 90% of the time. I carry a side arm always and am loaded before I begin calling.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »
Do any of you call alone or do you always have backup? I was going to head out alone, I usually see more animals when I'm alone.

I have very little idea what I am doing but am trying to learn  and call alone 98% of the time, for that matter I hunt alone about 98% of the time...

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:28 PM »
and am loaded before I begin calling

This could affect your calling, your point of aim and ability to out run the bruin that's about to take a bite out of your hind end.  Better think about that.   :chuckle:

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 12:57:08 PM »
i call alone alot. scare me more when i get up and had cougars and bocats behind me. have had alot of cool expierences. it's a Rush. have been very close to bears. will be using Hand call's only this year. have better action. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 01:09:24 PM »
and am loaded before I begin calling

This could affect your calling, your point of aim and ability to out run the bruin that's about to take a bite out of your hind end.  Better think about that.   :chuckle:

-Steve

I leave the vodka at home Steve. ;)

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
I will be calling by myself, but certainly not alone in the woods, next week. Like Saylean, I will have heavy hand-canon loaded and at the ready, but I don't expect to or actually hope not to shoot early in the season unless a really big one comes in. Pepper spray as posted earlier 'might' get added to my belt.. But if anything is that close.. I'll probably introduce it to some lead poisoning via 300gn Sierra LSP.  I will be scouting/calling a somewhat new area to me. With my near ridgetop vantage point, I hope not to 'educate' any bears and will be looking 360* for any signs of something that answers my call so that I may stop calling in time.

edit:  To answer the question of being attacked when calling, No. But I have only called for bears a few times.

-Steve
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 01:47:19 PM by JackOfAllTrades »

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
90% of the time I call alone. I like it better. It's definitely a rush!
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
have a WAYNE  :P Carlton Bear Hunting videotape(old i know  :rolleyes:) where he only uses his bear call......in one scene he tosses his cowboy hat at a bear then pepper sprays it. :o  Several clips where he calls bears into spray range(no firearm in possession), usually the hat toss scares them off.

We tried it once in the Tucannon bout 8 years ago, scared the sht out of us. We were sitting back to back  :chuckle: I think we should have chose a spot that had a better vantage point....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:27:32 PM by haus »
RMEF

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 03:11:20 PM »
......at one point he tags a bear in the head with his cowboy hat then pepper sprays it.

That's just stupid!  :stup:   :bdid:

-Steve

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 03:18:33 PM »
here we go.......  :rolleyes:
RMEF

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
Ive had a couple come in hard out of season,one I growled at when I saw him.He came in harder,my partner yelled at me for growling, so I then drew down on him and got big and yelled..he turned at just a few yrds,,,I dont like calling anymore outta season im afraid I might have to shoot one,then the bounty hunters will be after me..bears have personalities just like humans,most are all bark,its the one that bites to watch out for ;)

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
I have Carltons video, interesting. I was told at the Spokane sportsman show that he let one get to close and has the scars to prove it.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
I have Carltons video, interesting. I was told at the Spokane sportsman show that he let one get to close and has the scars to prove it.
thats the video that got me pumped,love the one where he was behind the tree just a few feet then sprayed..

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »
thats the video that got me pumped,love the one where he was behind the tree just a few feet then sprayed..
heck ya that one is huge too!! isn't that the scene where he does a little dance after the bear runs off?  :chuckle:
RMEF

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
heck ya that one is huge too!! isn't that the scene where he does a little dance after the bear runs off?  :chuckle:
yeah ,I laughed so hard I almost squirted,I still watch it from time to time,what a pig that bear was,,,kibbles and bits bear :chuckle:

Offline Arrowhead

• Tracker
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 04:27:03 PM »
Adding on to what others have stated, the Carlton video is a CLASSIC!  It got my blood flowing quickly, and I've been hooked ever since.  I've never had a problem with bears attacking, a few close bluffs though.  The major issue I have had are the cougars.  Almost every year, I've had cats come in and start to stalk.  I went from using only mouth calls to digitals, but still have had cats come in and either see movement or smell and come straight in for me.   :o  :yike:
As an added note, bear spray works well on large hungry TOMs also!   ;)
There's a place for all of God's creatures, right next to the taters.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 04:28:54 PM »
you guys are killing me im gonna go watch it :chuckle:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
Didn't BTKR have a "close encounter" a few years ago with a bruin youngin come right to his feet on video or pics?  :o
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
 :chuckle: those are some  cool vids i use to have it but a buddy barrowed it and let his buddy barrow it and now we don't know were it is >:(

Offline let.it.fly

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 12:40:58 PM »
theres a video on youtube where a guy is ground hunting a bait station  :bdid: a smaller bear walks in and walks past the bait. strait to the guy, and sniffs his hat (on his head) turns and walks to the bait.  talk about a *censored* your pants situation. i bet that guy felt the bears wiskers. i'd crap my pants and through it at emm.  :chuckle:

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Sourdough
RMEF

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:55 AM »
When calling, do you usually just start calling right away or sit for a while then start calling. I am asking if you are in thicker areas where you think bears are, but have limited visibility.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »
most times if the bear is close enough to be spooked by you when you walk in, then you will not call him in. and they will leave the area. we get into the area and get setup and then start calling most the times i figure about 10mins before the caller turns on.

Offline woodman

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »
most times if the bear is close enough to be spooked by you when you walk in, then you will not call him in. and they will leave the area. we get into the area and get setup and then start calling most the times i figure about 10mins before the caller turns on.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal