collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dodge 1500's  (Read 7880 times)

Offline Jerbear

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
Dodge 1500's
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »
I read that the new Dodge 1500's are coming out with coil rear springs.  I don't like it.  Guess I will hang onto my 97.  What are your thoughts?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Dodge 1500's
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »
The last three trucks I have owned have been Dodge.  The first was a Dakota and I took that thing no one should ever go.  The second was a 1500.  Great truck.  I beat the living crap out of it.  WHAT a machine.  This one is more like a car.  I don't like the wider tires blah blah.  Just doesn't feel like a truck.  Its 2004 I think.  Anyhow, thinking about trying or going back to Ford.

Offline russ

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:22:51 PM »
coils are great for offroad, they flex out real good. i dont know much about towing or anything. cant imagine itd be that bad.

sisu

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »
After driving nearly 42 years and owning a pile of trucks, cars and vans I've made a rule of thumb. I'll never buy a truck unless its a minimum of 3/4 ton. As far as coils on the rear go, GMC did that in 1972 cause I owned one. Piece of C-R-A-P not carp but bovine scat with a capital B and S. There is my very humble opinion.  :rolleyes:

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:40:44 PM »
Anyhow, thinking about trying or going back to Ford.
Welcome home... :chuckle:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:48:06 PM »
Yes bone, now you are starting to come around.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »
"Anyhow, thinking about trying or going back to Ford."

Gotta love the Strokers!!!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »
... Anyhow, thinking about trying or going back to Ford.

Amen Brother!.....and....some of us never left!  :hello:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »
Uh, whats the saying.. I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin!! I had to say it. :chuckle:
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline quacker whacker

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 06:20:28 PM »
I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin. :chuckle:

Offline quacker whacker

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
 Whoops, just beat me MS. how bout quit Strokin and start Cummin. :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 06:26:08 PM »
any hemi jokes?  I'm very happy with the engine, jsut not the build of the truck. 

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »
that is the problem, the truck is not big enough for cummin. :chuckle:

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
Power stroke had some serious issues with the 6.0 right after they switched from the 7.3.  The 2004, 6.0 was a piece of crap also, had one, turbo went out, new turbo, it went out, same on three other 6.0's of friends in AK, all 2002-2005's.  Hopefully Ford fixed that with the new motor in 07 I believe.  This is the reason I went to the Duramax.  Ford wouldn't deal for trading in their 04's, period, the Store Manager even told me because of the Diesel issues with that particular motor.  Had Ford and like the Ford better for looks, but Chevy did it right with the Duramax and Allison mating and the ride is car like while hauling my camper that used to sway like a big dog in the higher sitting Ford.  Too bad Dodge sucks in the everything department except Cummins motor, wish Ford used the Cummins then I'd be back.  One day maybe, some one will make a Truck with the ride of a Chevy, Cummins motor power (Duramax still reigns for the time being, until Cummins torque's it up again) and drivetrain like a Ford for after market lift and interior space of the Ford crew cab with an Allison Tranny all, with of course an 8 foot bed.....   Oh the original statement, coils in the back, fine if you don't haul anything but a dead carcass or two..... or want to build a true four wheeler....  and don't put a camper on the back of it....  

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
i have a 2005 6.0 liter. never had a problem. i have hauled animals cross country many times now with it and love it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:07 PM »
after i drive the wheels off my 02 gas 1/2 ton silverado, i will buy a duramax/allison silverado. i will not buy another truck unless it is a 3/4 ton diesel. you can do anything you want with it.  i don't like the interiors of the dodge, but the powertrain is great...i have always been a chevy guy....and i currently work for chrysler if that says anything.
ford...no thanks, not for me.  they're great trucks i'm sure. if they weren't they wouldn't be in business.

hey, this is turning into a ford versus chevy versus dodge debate.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 06:07:35 AM »
 :o  Oh brother...here we go...

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:03 AM »
Much more enlightening than shooting a deer with a 22.
Everybody putting their personal preferences aside, are FOrd and Chevy doin gthe same thing with their trucks....making cars out of them......bigger tires, etc?  This bites.  I am not a brand fan I like the best trucks.  For awhile I thought Dodge had them, I'm sure thats not the case now.  It seems like Ford went wimpy about the mid 90's, but I am hoping they changed back.  I have never owned a Chevy.  Nothing bad, just have to make a choice.  I see some on the road now that sure look awesome.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 08:03:18 AM »
Bone, if your used to driving a Dodge, you'll hate a Chevy in the woods, especially if your buying a half ton.  The chevy has a K-mart parking lot turning radius, and nobody makes a pickup come closer to just being a car than chevy does with it's half tons.  The Ford half ton is not a bad truck, and is probably the best of the half tons.  Now if you step up to the 3/4 tons, the Fords are just way to proud of nothing in particular to even consider spending the money they want for'em.  The Chevy rides nice but still has the worst turning radius of them all, but a great tranny and the Dodge rides rough but drives and hauls like a truck.

Cohoho, not sure what your referring to when you say the Duramax has more torque than a cummins?  Every rating I've ever seen of the motors shows the Duramax about 30-50ft lbs of torque below the Cummins.  No doubt, the Duramax has plenty of power, and I do do like driving my friends '05, but is has not near the torque or horsepower my Cummins has in an '05, and we've compared them side by side while towing down the road.  Certainly the Allison tranny that Chevy has is very good.  But with the 8' bed, where do you possibly turn a crew cab chevy around that isn't paved? :chuckle:

Back to Bone's question, I would not want a truck with rear coils if I was going to haul much of anything, a rock crawler they would be fine, but not a hunting truck.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »
Thanks for the positive info Goldtip.  I sure miss my old truck.  That thing was Awesome.  I am whining a bit about this one.  SHe has done well for me, but I just feel I don't trust her like my old one.  I push my vehicles to their limits.  Hi-way to the mountain top.  I am NOT truck friendly.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »
My dad's 1993 F-350 regular cab long bed is still the toughest truck I have ever driven or seen I must say.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »
I think its time to throw some bee's into the topic.. I've been a Ford man from day one, but now I'm looking at the Toyota Tundra for our retirement truck. All we're going to do with it is drag the boat, or a travel trailer..I'm going to keep the old truck for a farm truck(hauling hay,and firewood and stuff like that)..I'm just not sure if I want the crew cab, or the extended cab :rolleyes:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »
I just got the new Auto edition of Consumer Report:

I was surprised to see the new V8 Tundra 4X4 rated right with the Nissan Titan on 'Reliability'

they are both rated "much worse than average"
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 10:47:48 AM »
Its a nice looking truck.  I don't like insulting peoples vehicles, but I never thought the tin can feel of them(Nissan, toyota) would stand up to the torture I put mine through.  The Tundra maybe different.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
I have a Toyota, and have used and abused it. But like you mentioned bone it does feel like a tin can. As soon as a can afford it I will be stepping up to a full size truck, another drawback to the toyota is the size.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »
This is not meant to be a Ford slam, my Dad and uncle both swore that Fords were the only way to go. Well I watched my Dad's 84 F150 literally rot in his drive way. I gave it to a friend with only 74k miles on it problems in that time included 3 different venturi carb systems, two trannys, two main seal leaks, paint falling off the truck. My Uncles 02 F250 with 6k miles caught fire get this 20 minutes after they parked it in a Kmart parking lot. Burnt to the ground. Replacement truck had 3 trannys and an intake manifold before 50k, yes he does tow a 25 ft 5th wheel. My 83 Chevy 1500 had paint issues within 30k miles. I drove that truck for 208k with the typical maintenance, no "major mechanical issues. My 94 Chevy 1500, had one instance of a circuit board go bad at 125k. Traded that for a 02 Dodge 1500 Quad cab. Not the toughest truck I have owned, but so far it has been totally dependable with 114k miles as of today. I do not tow anything heavier then my 15 ft boat so that really is not a factor for me.
I was looking at the new Fords and they look very tough, but every one I know that has a Ford between 01 and now has had "major malfunctions". I know Chevy and Dodge are not much better but I personally have had pretty good luck with both Cheys and Dodge. I will say there is obvious toughness difference between the 1500 Dodge and the 2500 Dodges and depending on cost difference I will buy a 2500 next time.
Just my 2 cents
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
i guess they are all good if you change the oil and take care of them, but still im in love with my 00 f-150. i like the 4.2 and teh four low is super tenacious. and its a good looking truck even with a long bed... i call my truck "clancy"... what is your trucks name?
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal