collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which method of carying your side arm do you like best??  (Read 114128 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Which method of carying your side arm do you like best??
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
Had some moron try to tag a deer of mine.  When encountered he jacked a round in his rifle and pointed it at me.  I would have walked away had he not realized that half the local Oregon State police officers were hunting with me.  Guess he didn't like being in the crosshairs of that many trained marksmen :chuckle:.

Shot a spike elk in the old Abernathy unit years ago.  I laid my bow on him and hiked to the truck to get my pack.  When I got back some JoeBob had stuck another arrow in him and said it was his.  He wanted a fight, but I just said, "If it makes you feel more like a man, it's yours."  Later that day I killed a real nice 5X5.  Wish I had gotten that guys address so I could have sent him a picture and a Thank You card!  Was a good day for me :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:55 PM »
Leg holster for my 1911

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
GUIDES CHOICE, CHEST HOLSTER by Diamond D  $155.00

Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline wraithen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 02:20:21 PM »
As far as comfort when doing a good amount of walking I like a snug fitting shoulder rig as my secondary. My favorite is a serpa rig on a gun belt on my strong side hip. My least favorite is the leg rig. I can never seem to get one with a good lower strap. It's either too tight and rubs the crap outta my knee area or its too loose and bangs on my leg which after a few days starts a dull ache in my hip. I'm a young guy and its just my  :twocents: but leg holsters are only a good idea in movies or when you can't possibly put it anywhere else.
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline chef bama

• Tracker
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/    check out the kit bag

also check out the kifaru koala

Offline Elkarcher

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
Didn't read all of the replies but, I carry on the thigh, strong side with a strap to keep the weapon in place and not have it come out when crawling around in the thick stuff.
I wear a pack and am an archer so this keeps the Glock out of the way but very accessable.

Offline Mountainwalker

• Pilgrim
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »
Search for: Wilderness Safepacker and Diamond D Custom Leather.  The Safepacker goes on the waistbelt of a backpack and Diamond D makes a chest holster.  I prefer the chest holster for heavier side arms and the Safepacker for lighter ones.

The chest holster can be adjusted so you'll be able to draw your bow.

Offline Stick em

• Hunter
  • Fortune favors the prepared!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
I use the old style, under arm holster. I hate extra stuff on my hip and I can draw it very quickly. Once I have my pack on it just hooks onto my shoulder straps. I like to keep it hidden because it does freak out some of the other hikers.

Offline whack em

• Hunter
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
To chime in on thigh holsters, the Safariland 6004 has worked well for me.  When properly adjusted, it's very comfortable, and extremely quick and easy to draw from.  Just my  :twocents:

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6004
"Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting." --Bertrand Russell

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
I carry a .357 1873 sa on a gun belt just below my belt line that should clear a waist strap I don't have a waist pack so I can't say for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline paulf919

• Hunter
  • Groups: WTF
Which method of carying your side arm do you like best??
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »
Strong side IWB Alessi holster for the ppk/s.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
for my hunting holsters i like something with a good strap on it like uncle mikes sidekick holsters. when crawling threw brush and crap i don't want tot have to worry about back tracking a few miles to find my handgun. i always carry on my strong side which is my right side. since when i draw my bow it will be out of the way. don't like shoulder holsters for bowhunting myself. my inside the pants holsters are a little to easy to get my gun out of. i carried my xdm last year some and used a serpa holster and liked that but its to open and a bunch of dust and crap can get into your gun way to easy. hope this helps :IBCOOL:

I've carried with the XD Gear holster in the woods for a few years and never thought about it falling out. It's pretty snug but it sounds like a strap is a great idea. New holster needed, for sure.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Slowdraw

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, MULE DEER FOUNDATION, RMEF.
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2013, 04:35:41 PM »
I like shoulder holster, galco, I will carry my 45acp, with nolser 185 grain hollow points, with two mags on the other shoulder, that a total of 24 rounds 3mags,I do like my 357sig, sig sauer229, each mag carrys 12 rounds, Which means 36 round 3 mags, but I feel the 45 has more take down, with wolves I will carry just in case or if I get hurt, most people know 3 shoot one after each other mean someone need help,  :twocents:

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
I like shoulder holster, galco, I will carry my 45acp, with nolser 185 grain hollow points, with two mags on the other shoulder, that a total of 24 rounds 3mags,I do like my 357sig, sig sauer229, each mag carrys 12 rounds, Which means 36 round 3 mags, but I feel the 45 has more take down, with wolves I will carry just in case or if I get hurt, most people know 3 shoot one after each other mean someone need help,  :twocents:

I've never thought about being hurt and immobile. But otherwise I don't see a reason to carry a sidearm while archery hunting. Until I see a grizz where I hunt, the extra weight is the last thing to go in my pack (or on me).

Offline aorams

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
I don't carry one, to much extra weight

+1

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal