collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: (UPDATED) APP Sticks chrono results...switched to T7  (Read 4627 times)

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
(UPDATED) APP Sticks chrono results...switched to T7
« on: September 07, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »
Shot over my chrono today and sad to say I am now an APP hater.   :)  I started shooting the APP sticks last year and didn't have any problems with hang fires and accuracy was good but I never chrono'd my shots.  I also believe this stuff has a short shelf life.

My first 4 shots ranged from 1400-1650fps.  Next shot was 1070fps and didn't even register on paper.  Next shot after that was 740fps and one of the sticks finished burning on the ground about 25yds in front of me.  Next shot was in the 1300's and then my last was in the 1500's and I quit.  I was shooting some 240gr Extreme HP all lead bullets with sabots.  

Guess I am gonna try some T7, maybe loose.  :dunno:

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:21:35 PM by Lowedog »
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: APP Sticks chrono results...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »
I've had nothing but good experiences with 777 loose.
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 02:59:45 PM »
one of the sticks finished burning on the ground about 25yds in front of me

Wow!  That's not good at all!

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »
I've had nothing but good experiences with 777 loose.
 :dunno:

Just bought a bottle of 777 FFG.  Heard nothing but good things.
"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Whitelightning

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Hey Yogi
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »
That is the same experience I had with the APP loose. It just reinforced my faith in T7 loose. Never ever have had a problem in many yeas of use. You will enjoy T7, keep your charges reasonable and the dreaded crud ring will leave alone too.
Smoke em when ya see em!

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
What are you guys using to measure your charges?  I bought a brass measurer, the kind you slide out to the marks.  Is that an accurate way to measure 777? 
— Aldo Leopold

Offline dawhunt

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:23:30 PM »
What are you guys using to measure your charges?  I bought a brass measurer, the kind you slide out to the marks.  Is that an accurate way to measure 777? 

Thats what I use ,haven't had any proplems,I like 777
Bob
Bob

Offline Whitelightning

• Longhunter
  • Hey Yogi
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
I have one brass measure and one clear plastic with a funnel nose cap that you swivel out of the way to fill and swivel back to pour down the barrel, no spillage. Well I should add getting older it makes things easier. Both work just fine I like five grain increments on the powder measure.
Smoke em when ya see em!

Offline ML_Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
I use the T/C clear powder measure.  I just like to see the powder even tho you really don't need to.  Fill your powder measure and tap the side of the measure to settle the powder down.  As your doing so you'll actually see your powder drop.  Then when you close the top it will scrape the extra off for constant loads.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »
I have one brass measure and one clear plastic with a funnel nose cap that you swivel out of the way to fill and swivel back to pour down the barrel, no spillage. Well I should add getting older it makes things easier. Both work just fine I like five grain increments on the powder measure.

x2 i have both as well i like the clear one better. one note is: when you measure the powder do it the same way each time and you will get good results. with a black powder messure you can gain about 10 grains if the powder is packed in the measure by tapping it and settling it. just repeat the same thing each time and you will do o.k. :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:29 PM »

What I use too. I pre-measure and put into speed loaders. Switched to loose a few years ago and happier with the results. Worked for over 200 years in the US and lots of game was taken with loose powder. Ask Daniel Boone ;)

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  Can't wait to get back out and see how this stuff works.  

Now I need to find a good use for the bottle and a half of APP sticks I have!  Maybe Jim Shockey would want them.  :chuckle:
— Aldo Leopold

Offline ML_Hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
when I'm going to the range i'll pre measure all my powder prior to going out.  You can go almost anywhere one can develop film for cameras and pick up those plastic film containers at no charge.  They work great for holding powder so your not wasting time at the range measuring powder.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:28 AM »
I'm guessing you will get 2200 fps +/- 150 with the 777 and 240g bullets. 

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
I'm guessing you will get 2200 fps +/- 150 with the 777 and 240g bullets. 

With what amount of charge?  The bottle says 1850 with a 250 gr Barnes and 100gr charge. 
— Aldo Leopold

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »
Cool!  I will report back after I get out again.  Damn work!!!!!
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lowedog

• Frontiersman
Re: (UPDATED) APP Sticks chrono results...switched to T7
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »
Finally made it out to shoot with T7 FFG.  Noticed a big difference over the APP sticks with the first shot.  Sound, quickness of firing, it just felt different. 

Anyway, I shot a bunch of all lead 240gr HP Extreme sabot-ed bullets just to see how things went then shot a 3 shot group with Barnes TMZ 250gr bullets.  Must say I am pleased with the results.  Couldn't get my chrono to read with how bright it was today but I think I will stick with what is working.

Shot @ 70yds, 100gr T7 ffg Barnes 250gr TMZ.  1st 2 shots right next to each other 3rd was high.  Shooting off a card table and using the Williams ghost ring aperture rear sight, I think it will do.

[smg id=9788]
— Aldo Leopold

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal