collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear rug care from another state, how to  (Read 8261 times)

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Bear rug care from another state, how to
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:13:12 PM »
Wanting to know any advice about killing a black bear in alaska this may and how to get it back to washington and to be able to have the head rug made without ruining it.

Would this be ok
Skinning the bear with head and feet attached.  Curing with salt. Freezing. Then shipping down back home,  Continuing to freeze until im ready to have it done

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
Re: Bear rug care from another state, how to
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Its not a cervid (spell?) but I dont know if this state makes that determination...

may have to dig them head contents out??

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
At one time my grandma was going to send me to alaska for a ebar hunt but then I think she went stingy on me hahah j/k, but she was saying about someway of carrying it on the plane but I cant remember all the stuff she had said

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
I have been to Canada twice, drove both times.  Both times I took two bears with my bow.  I returned through customs with the bears hide, head still inside and feet still in paws.  All on ice.  I had import papers from my outfitter.  I had no issues at the border or at the taxidermist.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
P.S.  My taxidermist would beat you if you salted it.  :)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Why not have it taxidermied there and sent to ya?

Offline washingtonmuley

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 05:32:17 PM »
In Alaska you must remove the skull and take it to fish and game to have it sealed.Then you could freeze it and it would be fine. Where are you going in Alaska?

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
I will be up in Petersburg Alaska.  Then from there, A remote island for 5-7 days.  Just a buddy and me.  So we are hoping that we have to care to two bear. 
So once the skin is off, what do i do during the rest of the week and the trip home?

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »
I did a self guided black bear hunt on a remote island in SE AK back in May of 2004 with a buddy. We both took 10 year old boars. Mine had a 19 9/16" skull and my buddies was 19 5/16". His was rubbed pretty bad so he just wanted the back and sides (basically a squarish rug) but I wanted to do a bust mount. The problem with mine was that I foolishly skinned out the bear like I had done in the past for a full rug. On top of that we had rock salt instead of fine salt. On top of that it was sunny and hot- like in the 80s. So my bear's hide had the hair slip. I worked for hours trying to get the fat off and then salted it but just did not do a good enough job.

If you only want a bust mount then only take that amount of hide off of the bear so that you focus only on the hide necessary. Secondly make sure you use fine salt, not rock salt. Finally hope for cooler weather. Best of luck on your hunt and care of your cape, Rufous.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 08:38:14 PM »
Idabooner brought back a grizz, salted, rolled and I believe on the plane.  I'll get him to put up some details.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
My buddy killed a nice colored bear in central Wa a few years ago, temp in the 90's We folded it up thru it in the back of the truck and headed for home, by the next afternoon the hair slipped. I was sick cause it was my idea to fold it up.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »
Thats tough.  Bear in 90 degree heat, you better shoot it in a walk in freezer practically.  They are so greasy they will slip in the feild with those temps. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:34:04 PM by boneaddict »

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
Wanting to know any advice about killing a black bear in Alaska this may and how to get it back to washington and to be able to have the head rug made without ruining it.

Would this be ok
Skinning the bear with head and feet attached.  Curing with salt. Freezing. Then shipping down back home,  Continuing to freeze until I'm ready to have it done

Will you have access to a freezer up their is AK?

Get the hide off the bear ASAP after killing it.  Bear and large game animals hold their heat.  Get the hide cooled down.  Keep the hide cool and dry.  Heat and moisture promote bacteria growth.  Which causes hair to start slipping.  Once the hair starts slipping that's it.  It will continue til all the hair has fallen out of the infected area.  If you have access to a freezer get it into the freezer ASAP!  When putting the hide in the freezer FOLD the hide don't roll it.  And don't fold the skull in the middle.  Depending on the hide it can take a couple days for the head to freeze buried under all that hide.

Folded hides freezer and thaw quicker than ones that are wadded up and thrown in the freezer.  During the thawing and freezing process bacteria is still working on the cape so the quicker it freezes and thaws the better.  

I wouldn't suggest salting the hide unless you are prepared to skin out the paws and the head.  Split and turn the ears, lips, nose, eyes and flesh the entire hide.  I mean if you leave the skull and paws inside the hide what good is the salt going to do?  You can't get it down inside the feet and head area with the paws and skull left in.   :dunno:  Do you understand where I am going with this?

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 09:32:01 PM »
The only way to properly salt a bear hide :
You must remove the head , turn the lips eye lids , nose and ears. You have to skin out the feet to the claws and remove all the fat in the pads . Skin out the tail. And then you have to remove ALL of the meat and ALL of the fat and then use 50 pounds of salt or more depending on how big and rub the salt in really good. Then on the second day dump the salt off and re-salt . Then let it dry. That is the only way to properly salt a bear. You CAN NOT put a salted hide in the freezer.It will never freeze and will slip.
Your best option is to freeze the hide if you cant salt it properly.
What I usualy tell my customers going on long hunting trips is to find a local Taxidermist pay him to properly skin , cape and turn everything and have them salt it for you, Pay them what ever they charge , get a receipt and show it to me and I will take it off the bill . I would say it should be ion the ballpark of $100.00 to $150.00 to have that done.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »
OOps sory Michelle I must have posted right on top of you. I didnt see yours.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal