collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods  (Read 18306 times)

Offline jeepster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
i have seem too many *censored*s "limit" out on one hole, and say they are going to go home, only to walk down the river (after taking thier "daily limit" to the cooler sitting in thier truck) and seeing them "limit out" on the next hole, i am FED UP with that CRAP and i WILL call the warden in on you..... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...it bugs me to hell  knowing that there are those who simply have a blatent diseregard for the rules... i can understand taking more fish than the allowed limit if you are depending on it to feed your family for the year because its either fish/hunt or go hungry...i i have been there in the past so i know the mentality.... if its eat or go hungry, take all you want... but if its just fill the freezer "just 'cuz" and "lets see how many we can catch..."  thats eats me to the bone...
"
when i get my limit, i go home, myself being a FRIM believer in ethical salmon fishing (even more-so than hunting) it would be nice to get the thoughts of other fisherman out there....

like i said, take as many as you NEED, if its survival,

but for all others that take over thier limit, I HOPE YOU GET BUSTED....

the only way we will ever have good salmon returns is etihical fishing..............

like i said, it would be nice to get the oppinions of others....

-Jeep
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline Stomper

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
RE: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »
I also have a hard time watching people break the laws.I live about 4 blocks from the Wallace river,I don't fish it much because of this.People snagging fish and keeping them,mostly Chinooks. >:(I don't mind people flossing as long as they only take thier limit on legal fish.There is one group of people who are originally from south of the border that just f.%$@ing piss me off!I call our local game warden almost once a week on these idiots.Snagging fish,keeping chinooks,and throwing thier f*&%^$# trash everywhere.So if any of you that are reading this and don't like to abide by the laws,remember some people care about keeping the rivers in thier backyards clean and full of fish!I have the gamey on speed dial on my phone,why you ask?Because I have 5 kids who would like to grow up enjoying the same things that I have on the Skykomish Valley river sytems! >:( :bash: :bash: :bdid:
Right is Right even if no one else is doing it,Wrong is Wrong even if everyone is doing it.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »
Catch and release here.   

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »
I haven't kept a fish in a realllly long time.
Some of the boot salmon people keep about make me barf just looking at them and they're still in the river.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 08:27:23 AM »
Jeepster no offense but that does not make any sense to me.

1. How do you know their feeding their family? Do you go up and ask them??

2. Well if that is ok with fish must be ok with the deer, elk and bear population.

3. Breaking the rules no matter how you look at it or what scenerio the person is in it is still breaking the rules and takes away from the honest outdoorsman.

4. If they can afford the gas, license, gear and such to go fishing then they can dang sure afford to buy some top ramen and hotdogs.

5. I  myself do not agree with any that you mentioned, the main problem is a lot of people do not confront individuals like that, and it just continues to happen. If you see it dont be the judge to determine that they are feeding their family. Let the game wardens do it. One of the best things you can have to get *censored*s like that off the water is a video camera. You see them fishing one hole, then they go to their truck and then to another hole. Take a break from fishing go up grab the video and go down and do an interview with them. Trust me they leave the water quick.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: oppinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
I have mentioned this before on this forum..We will see an incress in the amount of paoching, until this economy gets better..Be it taking too many fish, or killing a deer or elk, to feed the family, or go to the food bank and beg..In a position like that,,,well my dad raised me with a rifle in one hane and a fishing pole in the other..Saturday,Sunday, feed the family, Monday -Friday, look for work..

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Re: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
I can't believe there's guys on here voting in the poll admitting that they would keep a foul-hooked salmon.
Maybe I should provide a link to this thread from earlier this week?
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,58482.0.html

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
Re: RE: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
Jeepster no offense but that does not make any sense to me.

1. How do you know their feeding their family? Do you go up and ask them??

2. Well if that is ok with fish must be ok with the deer, elk and bear population.

3. Breaking the rules no matter how you look at it or what scenerio the person is in it is still breaking the rules and takes away from the honest outdoorsman.

4. If they can afford the gas, license, gear and such to go fishing then they can dang sure afford to buy some top ramen and hotdogs.

5. I  myself do not agree with any that you mentioned, the main problem is a lot of people do not confront individuals like that, and it just continues to happen. If you see it dont be the judge to determine that they are feeding their family. Let the game wardens do it. One of the best things you can have to get *censored*s like that off the water is a video camera. You see them fishing one hole, then they go to their truck and then to another hole. Take a break from fishing go up grab the video and go down and do an interview with them. Trust me they leave the water quick.

Joe

Bring a camera and call it in. My feelings too. Can buy a lot of beans and rice and eat for less than $2.00 a day. That is how over 80% of world population eats and no grossly overweight people in those countries like here in the US. Every been to Walmart recently and see the size of the people buying food with food stamps? I grew up in a pretty poor family and we could have qualified for food stamps but parents were too proud. Had a big garden every year and ate cheap but nutritious food. Would never justify breaking the law. Almost every guy whom I have run across in my life who poaches claims to be too poor and has to poach. Everyone always seemed to have enough money for smokes, booze, lift kits for his truck, xbox,  i phone, cable tv, weed,  new rods, rifles etc etc

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37:12 AM »
Seems it's always been the norm for people to catch and keep as many any way they can on the river. But it really does piss the one guy out of ten that actually does play by the rules. People are greedy by nature and will always take more than they need. But the worst part about law breakers on the river is if the game dept. can't control it they just shut it down for everyone.
So please people only keep your limit and play by the rules if you and your kids want to catch fish in the future.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
I have a question what is flossing ???   :dunno:
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
The way the vote is set up is confusing, when i first read it i didnt think it really had anything to do with keeping foul hooked fish, i think it should be worded or formatted differently. I had selected i would keep either sex because they would die in a month anyways but i was not implying in any way shape or form that i would keep a foul hooked or illegal fish. Never have never will. 
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Offline fishcrazy

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
I keep fish if they are hooked IN THE MOUTH and legal to keep. Not sure why people think it's legal to keep one hooked in the gill plate or on the head. Sometimes I don't keep any fish and release them all. I might stay and hook and release 30 fish but for what ever reason take none home.

I don't see an option for a hooked in the mouth only.

Kris
This family supported by UNION wages. Proud member of UA Local 26

Is the taste of the bait worth the sting of the hook twice?

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 08:50:34 PM »
where is the option for LEGALLY HOOKED?  :yike:
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
I have a question what is flossing ???   :dunno:

flossing is...
Cast across the river in front of some fish, let the line drift into a fish's open mouth(salmons mouths are pretty much always open in the rivers) then jerk pulling the line/hook through the fish's mouth. Essentially it's snagging them in the face. I used to fish rivers in upstate New York for spawning Lk. Ontario salmon and it was legal as long as you lifted the rod up when you set the hook. No pulling sideways. We got really good at it. Back there it's called lifting.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
good to know. You must need some damn good visibility to pull that off.  So how would you rate the east coast salmon vs west coast?

Size
Taste
Run size
Difficulty to catch  all that good stuff.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]