collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: hello washington, new around here and want to get into fishing  (Read 2238 times)

Offline datruthab123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Im not really a fly fishing fan, more familiar with some of the saltwater fishing I have done in md/ va area and I have a couple of bait casting combos and really would like to get into some heavy fishing while Im stationed up in Washington(fort lewis ,army) to be exact thanks for your help, I would mind learning how to fish the streams and lakes and rivers for the famed salmon that I hear about here, thanks

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
Re: hello washington, new around here and want to get into fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
 I'd recommend renting a boat out of Pt. Defiance boathouse for starter's, all you'll need is your safety gear, a rod and a dozen mooching leader's and crescent sinker's in 3-5 oz. weight. you can buy herring right there, which you can fish whole, or "cut plug", cut off the head at a .45 degree angle so it spins. Drop to the bottom and real up a few cranks and your in business. Salmon generally open's around the 1st of July, though some areas are open right now, check the regs.

Good luck

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:53:05 PM »
a rod and a dozen mooching leader's

That will get you about 20 good solid minutes of catching dog fish :chuckle:

Can you be a little more specific on the type of fishing your looking to do?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 6.5swede

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »
I'll give you my best advice, and that is to cut the learning curve way down and hire a guide for the type of fishing you would like to do.  There are a couple people who guide on the salt in the tacoma area for salmon, and guides on just about every river in the state that is worth fishing.  Go with them, ask lots of questions, and pay attention to every little detail they do.  Trust me, for a newbie around here it is money very well spent. 

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
I'll give you my best advice, and that is to cut the learning curve way down and hire a guide for the type of fishing you would like to do.  There are a couple people who guide on the salt in the tacoma area for salmon, and guides on just about every river in the state that is worth fishing.  Go with them, ask lots of questions, and pay attention to every little detail they do.  Trust me, for a newbie around here it is money very well spent. 

That is good advice, try Brad Shride (Onco Guide Service) out of Tacoma. He will catch you some salmon. Also check out the Salmon University web -site.

Huntinphool, if you stick around a school of bow-wow's that long, your more persistant than I!! :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
Huntinphool, if you stick around a school of bow-wow's that long, your more persistant than I!!

i didn't know it was possible to get away from a school of doggies. seems they are everywhere.
get a guide for a day. you'll learn so much it is well worth the money.
pick a river or area and throw it up on here, and you'll get a bunch of names of reputable guides.
there's also www.gamefishin.com and www.piscatorialpursuits.com for lots of local fishing info.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:18:28 PM »
Huntinphool, if you stick around a school of bow-wow's that long, your more persistant than I!!

i didn't know it was possible to get away from a school of doggies. seems they are everywhere.
get a guide for a day. you'll learn so much it is well worth the money.
pick a river or area and throw it up on here, and you'll get a bunch of names of reputable guides.
there's also www.gamefishin.com and www.piscatorialpursuits.com for lots of local fishing info.

I have a rule, I never give more than 6 leader's to the doggies. I don't like to mooch in general anyways. Troll, use a fast moving flasher and pick up your speed, use artificials and you'll maybe get one or two, but they won't take your leader generally. They are a schooling shark and you can mark them once your in them also and usually also tell them apart from salmon and bait. Not sure what kind of sounder you have.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]