collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone hunt 328 Naneum? ?  (Read 15937 times)

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Anyone hunt 328 Naneum? ?
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:09:17 PM »
Hunted 328 pretty hard this last weekend. started up colockum pass and hunted cook canyon hiked from the powerlines all the way to the bottom and back up saw nothing cut no track till later in the evening all does and a few spikes no shooters. moved camp to schnibly canyon hunted it pretty hard saw a few deer no shooters. drove the big loop up schnibley to coleman rd up to jumpoff rd and down colockum pass saw 0 deer. anyone have any success? have been hunting 328 for 15yrs and been noticing a drastic decline in deer population.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Anyone hunt 328 Naneum? ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
Well I hear the Natives kill a lot of elk up there; I imagine they do the same with deer.

They're probably in there in December killing them on their winter range. :peep:

Not sure if hair loss has been much of a problem yet that far north.

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »
I heard the same about the natives. ihate bringing it up cuz its such a sore subject to alot of ppl.  i know for damn sure theyre in there killing the elk. went to the usual spot up colockum pass where we elk hunt to scout and couldnt believe it. it was a ghost town up there where we usually get into hundreds(for the last 15yrs) we only got into 4 cows. did see 3 huge bulls hunkerd down deep in cook canyon all together and very spooked. all in all wasnt too impressed with whats happening in 328 & 329 for both deer and elk. took a drive down little caribou to scout and saw a few deer not like it used to be.

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
oh man the last thing the naneum needs is publicity on the internet. That GMU is horrible. Farmers could make a killing around halloween as this has got to be the biggest pumpkin patch in WA. Maybe second only to the Omak-Conconully area for over hunted.

I went to the 328 for YEARS before giving up. There used to be a TON of game up there, but it got really bad like 5-7 years ago because an asian louse (tick) wiped out the local deer herd. game department says the herd has still not recovered fully I believe. I'll check for the review and post.

i used to see huge herds of elk up there too. been 5+ years though I think? roughly.

there used to be so many deer in 328. my brother drew a doe tag one year right when the hairslip first started. we thought "oh man easy pickins!" we were wrong, that next year we actually came close to not even filling a doe tag. we used to count 50-100 easy opening weekend while trying to find a boy deer.

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
here you go, they say that GENERAL area is still 30-50% down in deer population.
but this includes not just the nanuem, but a larger region that goes south of it. I know when I was in Yakima it was like a barren wasteland in one of the wdfw lands down there. no deer, birds or anything a month ago. (of course I know there is lots of wildlife in the general area, but there is also a decline in areas where it used to be great).

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/prospects/files/2010/district08.pdf

Offline Bigtine96

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
Not to many deer especially with all the indians opening fire up there. Your pretty hard pressed to see a shooter up there.

Offline pjmcbride

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »
not to bring up the subject but i have heard that the natives go up there all the time and shoot them up.the clockum and green can .a family member of mine told me that there was a bunch of spikes from elk and deer on fence post's at the bottom as you go in to green can.and this year they did that to the weanas area as well.

Offline Bigtine96

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:23 PM »
Yep they do all sorts of shooting up there, and hunters like us have to put in along with 1500+ people for one tag.

Offline whiteeyes

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 08:36:29 AM »
Heard theirs a bunch of elephants up there as well. You idiots and your hear say gets old.
Cougars and hair loss is pretty much whipping the deer population out in that area. Find a new deer kill every 4 days on the ranch that happens to be very close to the Naneum.   

Offline labguy

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »
We hunt this unit every year and this year was by far the worst we have seen in many years.  Typically our group gets 2-3 good bucks per year, but this year we didn't even see a legal buck.  I have heard from the ranchers that the cougar kills are starting to escalate, they have counted over 18 carcasses in the past year.  The coyotes have populated like mad as well and we saw more bear sign than ever this year.  Lots of predators that need to be controlled in this unit. We plan to take a year or two away from the area.

Offline littlemac

• Scout
  • Life Member NRA, Life RMEF, Life SCI
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 09:38:18 AM »
Heard theirs a bunch of elephants up there as well. You idiots and your hear say gets old.
Cougars and hair loss is pretty much whipping the deer population out in that area. Find a new deer kill every 4 days on the ranch that happens to be very close to the Naneum.   

That's my take for the past 5 to ten years.  I hunt mostly from the Deer Gulch side and consider it a family tradition and camping trip.  Great to be out there but little concern of getting bloody cleaning an animal.

In talking with the local miners and a few that live year round above Liberty the cats have been all over the place up there.  Easy to see in the snow of winter.  I have hunted with family there for the past forty years and we used to get deer annually, but that was a long time ago.

Occasionally the elk harvest rate goes up but usually the harvest is pretty low. 

I guess as the deer and elk die out the cats will move on, but it is a long and arduous process that isn't helped at all by the WDFW IMHO.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor even the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

-- Charles Darwin

Offline pjmcbride

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
shoot all the cats and yotyes. then well have fun agian i got my tag and so does my family. :mgun:

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
way way to many cougars in central washington...and all of washington for that matter.

but cle elum/ellensburg is over run with cougars. every year i see more and more cougar kills (around 15 on an average year for the 5 areas i hunt) i would say its 500% increase over the last 5-6 years in the areas i hunt. not to mention i have seen 5 in the last 6 years while elk hunting in that general area

unit 460 is also getting hit extremely hard by the cats

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »
I think I'm going cougar hunting over there in January or February.   :IBCOOL:

Offline bucknbulls

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:17 PM »
I have noticed a decline as well.  From 2005, thru 2007 I took a rifle deer, an archery deer and last one with my muzzleloader.  In 2008 and 2009, I took some time off from hunting due to our stellar economy.  This year spent a couple days and hunted it pretty hard and saw thirty or so deer.  One legal three point and a handfull of spikes and two points.  I know three people who have had success.  two during archery and one in rifle season.  I have seen the majority of deer down low and not much sign or deer up higher.  much of what I have seen has been on private land which is down low.  I did see no shortage of elk though.  I also have seen an increasing amount of cougars over the past five years.  In 2007, I had an encounter with two younger cougars while archery hunting off the wilson rd.  The cougars have been spotted from seven different people I hunt with and two of which were able to kill.  Every year the number of cougars have increased.  In the three years of success i had the multi-season tag and spent alot of time hunting and always saw abundance of game.  This year talking to friends who have hunted in there all have seen a decline of deer.  After my two days of hunting I was alittle discouraged by how little deer I saw.  Even though I only spent two days hunting, I covered a large amount of country and saw only a third of what i usually see.  The lack of sign on the miles of country indicates the truth that deer numbers are down.  I only hope that things will change.  As far as coyotes, this is the first year that I did not see one and normally will see a couple a day while out hunting.  here is My 2006, and 2007 deer from nanuem.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]