collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2008 Blue Mountain Spring Bear  (Read 28871 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: 2008 Blue Mountain Spring Bear
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »
it was snowing at a pretty good clip at 5:00 tonight at 3400' in the blues...sorry to say.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Opportunist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51:58 PM »
I've got friends that drew Chesnimus/sled springs this year, I hope they can get a hunt out of it. At least on that hunt there is some lower elevation hunting.

Good luck to all of those that drew in WA/OR, I hope the weather allows you a productive hunt.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline Rhinoron247

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 10:08:03 PM »
2 for the price of a hike!

Here is a Pic of the Lick Creek Bear I shot in 2003 during the General Elk Season.  I shot a Spike Bull cross canyon, the Bull then proceeded to roll approx 300 yards down a steep hillside coming to rest in the thick brushy bottom.  As soon as I lost sight of the bull in the brush, out runs this Cinnamon bear straight back up the hill.  I racked another round and anchored him on the hillside less than 50' from where the Bull Landed.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:31 PM »
I love the bluesssssssss

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
I've got some property on Lewis Peak in  the Blue creek gmu it's at 4200' on top and there is still at least 4' of snow, here in the Tri-cities it is supposed to warm up over 70 so maybe it will heat up and melt some or all of the snow up  in the mountains that would be nice I'd like to get up there after some turkeys and my buddies got a dayton spring bear tag. good luck everyone on your bear tags
You old sailor you, you motor boatin' son of a bitch

Offline Rhinoron247

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »
Funny thing! It only took me 20 mins to get down the Hill the first time to claim my score.  From that point on it was and hour down and 2 hours up. Over and Over and Over and Over.   :puke: then I started on the Bear.  The hill side was so steep I had to tie the Bear and the Elk to a tree while I worked in order to keep the carcasses from rolling the rest of the way down the mtn. 

I learn a long standing lesson that day.  Choose your hunting partner based on their willingness to be there to the end, not on their camp fire humor.  That day turn what I thought was a man into a steaming pile of whimpering  :crap:

My partner ever so conveniently, came down with a tummy ache and was only able to make one trip down/up helping me to carry the hide.  A stranger I met on the road by my truck jumped in and invested the entire rest of his day to help me finish the job. 

Ya I'd do it all over again and again and again.   :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
you know where you might be able to find me if needed next weekend. come and get me, don't hesitate. i'll carry what i can till i tip over.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rhinoron247

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:39 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I wouldn't mind having that problem.  ;)

Here a shot of the last trip out and me a Boo Boo on the hillside.  Kind of Blurry

Offline alecvg

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 08:56:53 PM »
ouch, is there still alot of snow down there?  I just got back from flordia yesterday and when we flew over eastern wa, and the cascades, it looks like its starting to melt.  goodluck!
I would rather be a conservative nut job, than a liberal with no nuts, and no job!

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »
My buddy and I went out yesterday up the Umatilla Wilderness. We climbed up Grouse Mtn from the bottom. It turned out to be about an 1800 foot elevation gain in only about 1.2 miles distance. Then we wandered around up on top and back down. We saw lots of deer and elk and even some bear and cougar tracks up on the top of Grouse Mtn which was at about 4100' elevation but did not lay eyes on a bear.

I am really stoked though because I got permission to hunt a big chunk of prime private property not too far out of Walla Walla. So we will probably focus our efforts there over the next couple weeks anyway. The snow did indeed melt off quite a bit this weekend but there is still a bunch up high. Rufous.

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »
Did you talk to the Bar M ranch? That property would be good lower elevation bear country, if a guy could get permission. I know it's leased up by an outfitter in the fall but I'm not sure in the spring, I doubt it since the outfitters don't get guaranteed bear tags. Good luck and shoot straight!
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »
I drew the West Blue Mountains tag. I live in Walla Walla so plan to focus on the Walla Walla and Mt. Emily units as they are closer to home. Rufous. 

I have two points now for the West Blue Mtns.  Next year I'm sure I'll draw!!  I hope!  Have you talked with a biologist yet?  Hope that snow melts fast!!  Good luck my friend.......................
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 09:55:49 PM »
I have talked with a couple biologists and know that the areas I have been scouting and now hunting are good areas. I saw my first bear of the year yesterday evening on property I have permission to hunt. It was too far away though to get to but we may find him next weekend. We looked for it this evening but the weather was much colder and no bears were out. Rufous.

Offline Cord

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »
I hunted West Blue Mts last year, but didn't get a bear.  I did find where they had been digging onions in Lick Creek just east of Grouse Mt.  I camped at the end of the McDougal Camp Road off the Tollgate Road and hunted down, then climbed back up to camp. There was still too much snow to get to many of the areas I wanted to hunt last May, and I am sure it is worse this year.

I figured I couldn't draw West Blue 2 years in a row, so I put in for and drew Starkey this year.  That is the next unit south of Mt. Emily.  Now I am scrambling to find an area where I might have a chance of seeing a spring bear.  I have used Google Earth to find some possibilities, however there is too much snow to get in and see yet.  I plan to hunt the next to the last week of May, and I would sure appreciate any suggestions on areas that might be productive from anyone that has hunted spring bears in Starkey.

Cord at The Dalles

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »
Cord, thanks for your input. I too thought the Grouse Mtn area would be good and we did see some tracks in the snow on top. We may try it again once we can access it from McDougal Camp road. Good luck on your Starkey hunt. I have never been in that area. Rufous.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal