collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Making us look bad  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: Making us look bad
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
I have to admit that the first time I went to a pheasant release site to hunt pheasants I knew the 8:00 hunting time rule, but I had no clue about having to stay in the parking area until 8:00.  I figured the 8:00 thing was a shooting time and as long as we didn't shoot until 8:00 I didn't see the point in everyone standing in the parking lot.

My wife and I and the dog started heading out past the fence about 5 minutes early to kind of get spread out away from the crowd of people at the parking lot.  Some guy yelled over at us and informed us of the rules......... I felt like an idiot, but I swear the signs just said shooting time was 8:00 and there was not anything that said no entry until 8:00.. :dunno:  I never hunted the site in the morning again, it was too much of a zoo with everyone running at 8:00.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline fethrduster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
I hunt scatter creek and everyone there waits until 8 to enter.  I don't why it's such a hard concept to understand. :rolleyes:

Offline SpringerFan

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
Just north of Duvall.

Nope. That is Cherry Valley. Stillwater is south of there and just before Carnation.
We don't blame cars for drunk drivers......Why blame guns for violent people...

NRA, Pheasants Forever, WWESSC.....tried to join Washington for Wildlife.org but my IP is banned??? 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
 :yeah:
Cherry Valley is just north of Duvall. Stillwater is the area made up of a couple parking spots a couple miles north of Carnation. There's also Crescent Lake just west of the prison farm out here in the valley.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline mjbskwim

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 12:01:06 AM »
I talked to a guy about this kind of thing.
He and his dad were out,with him having the only shotgun.ad was watching.
A duck flew over at ten minutes before shooting.Dad yells at the kid (30+yo) for not shooting it.

They get back to the parking and are commended by the game cop for not shooting the bird before shooting time.
The warden had been watching thru binos.

Never know

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:49:23 AM »
okay, i figured that was the stillwater you were talking about but since im from duvall it just seems like such a small place for people to go out too.
I hunt for peace of mind.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 07:02:07 AM »
There was 11 vehicles between the 2 parking lots at Cherry Valley on sunday. I don't see how that could possibly be enjoyable or safe for that matter, especially if you have to pay 90something bucks to do it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:26 AM »
It must not apply on the Samish unit.  Earlier in the season I was first in the parking lot.  I was going to wait until 8:00 to head out.  Then everyone started rolling in.  They would load up there gear, walk down the trail and stand at the head of a field with the bird dogs.  As soon as it was 8, everyone started walking in and shooting started.  It was nuts.  Not doing the west side phesant again.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 07:29:42 AM »
I think it's ok to stand behind the safety zone signs (before 8:00) surrounding the field,never heard of having to stay in the parking lot,seems that would cause more of a stampede at the 8 o'clock opening,lol.
They really do need to open a few more sites if they want the program to continue and be successful, by helping to distribute the hunters and make it more safe and enjoyable.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:09 AM »
It’s a very popular and self sustaining program.  In the WDFW eyes that makes it successful, and they have opened some new spots.  But let’s face it, it isn’t hunting and the birds are not wildlife.  It’s more like a live trap shoot.  I do it because it’s close and easy and good training for my young dog.  But it seems to get more crowded as the season goes and less of a positive learning experience for the dog.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 07:59:03 AM »
Most people are against it including most of the wdfw commission. I used to be against it too until I started training my labs on them, it became a kick in the pants,junior loved it too. No it's not what you call real hunting but some of those roosters got smart fast if they survived the first 10 minutes,lol. Atleast you could pretend you were hunting real pheasants,the dogs didn't care and where else can you find pheasants in the west side? Hunting eastern wash.was getting too expensive .
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline fast60eddie

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »
I wouldn't wait in line at the safety sign I would go to the corner of one of those barley patches and wait for the 0800 hour. Stillwater is a crapshoot knowmatter what. Try not to be to negitive around the kids. I have seen dads theaching their youngins how not to be.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal