collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New coyote HUnters ((help wanted!!))  (Read 6656 times)

Offline d-rock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New coyote HUnters ((help wanted!!))
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »
So I am a new coyote hunter, but have hunted deer and elk for well over 10 years.  I have been out a few times and would like to tag along with a more experienced coyote guy for a couple trips to see how someone who knows what they are doing does it.  I would be glad to talk $$ but would prefer to just pay for gas and lunch.  Are any of you "Old Dogs hunters" up to showing a newbie how its done?  I would be stoked if you just took me out to scout new ground, it doesn't have to be prime territory, I'm just looking to save myself the learning curve that I experienced Deer and Elk hunting. 

If anyone is interested in paying it forward I would appreciate it.

Hunting and fishing season lasts all year.

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
Re: New coyote HUnters ((help wanted!!))
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »
Where are you located?

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:11:21 PM »
I think your going to find it difficult to get a seasoned caller to assist you . Seasoned callers have spent endless hours and big money to learn the tricks of the trade . time and money spent on fuel to get to available land , and to get permission to hunt private ground . a seasoned caller has spent years on stands and years of being educated by the coyotes he persues , I have in the past shared stands with people i have met only to find said persons coming back to hunt the ground i took them to . BIG no no , there is a creed among callers , if i take you to some of my ground you do not go there without me and a invite to do so .Most seasoned callers dont even like to hunt with another person , and most only have one or perhaps two close friends that they will even consider setting a stand with . Coyote callers as a rule are pretty much loners and take calling  very seriously.You would have better luck asking if you could borrow their wife for a weekend.( gives them more time to go calling )  In the last five years i have had hundreds of people ask me to take them calling and teach them what i know ,  i had to learn the hard way , hours and hours in the field and asking permission to hunt on private ground, tons of money spent on fuel  .The reason i posted this is so you might have a better understanding of what you are asking from a total stranger . Maybe youll get lucky and find someone gracious enough to take you along , and assist you as you fumble thru the learning process , missing called in coyotes and educating them, and generaly messing up the calling spots they frequent . If indeed you do you will have found a good friend with a kind heart. I was hesitating typing this post but thought it would be important that you understand what you are asking somone to do . I might suggest you find some good coyote country and then ask somone to come to your ground and help you learn . 
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
I think your going to find it difficult to get a seasoned caller to assist you . Seasoned callers have spent endless hours and big money to learn the tricks of the trade . time and money spent on fuel to get to available land , and to get permission to hunt private ground . a seasoned caller has spent years on stands and years of being educated by the coyotes he persues , I have in the past shared stands with people i have met only to find said persons coming back to hunt the ground i took them to . BIG no no , there is a creed among callers , if i take you to some of my ground you do not go there without me and a invite to do so .Most seasoned callers dont even like to hunt with another person , and most only have one or perhaps two close friends that they will even consider setting a stand with . Coyote callers as a rule are pretty much loners and take calling  very seriously.You would have better luck asking if you could borrow their wife for a weekend.( gives them more time to go calling )  In the last five years i have had hundreds of people ask me to take them calling and teach them what i know ,  i had to learn the hard way , hours and hours in the field and asking permission to hunt on private ground, tons of money spent on fuel  .The reason i posted this is so you might have a better understanding of what you are asking from a total stranger . Maybe youll get lucky and find someone gracious enough to take you along , and assist you as you fumble thru the learning process , missing called in coyotes and educating them, and generaly messing up the calling spots they frequent . If indeed you do you will have found a good friend with a kind heart. I was hesitating typing this post but thought it would be important that you understand what you are asking somone to do . I might suggest you find some good coyote country and then ask somone to come to your ground and help you learn . 
Good post
Dilligaf

Offline d-rock

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:16 AM »
Thanks For the posts.  I kinda figured it would go one of two ways with the responses.  That is a very nice way to explain it and I appreciate confirming what I thought some of the issues might be. 

I totally understand all this. 

But the most someone can do is say no, and the only stupid question is an unasked question.

I am asking for a general lesson.   Even if no coyotes show it would be nice to know what supposed to work.

If anyone is interested, I know of a lot of ground that I have heard or seen coyote signs on in the past.  I have a hunting range that regularly goes from the Cle Elum/Ellensburg area (own small camp membership) to the Shelton where I currently live.  I hunt all the area and all areas in between that I can find. 

Offline d-rock

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
And I can see how it looks like I'm asking just to know your hunting ground.  Sorry about that.   I know all too well the ethics involved here.   

I'm just looking to learn a few tricks and the basics. 

Offline Lowedog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »
This is one of the best resources you will find on the web.  http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

I have been calling for coyotes for several years now and very much still a rookie.  Seams like I learn something new with every stand I make.

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal."
— Aldo Leopold

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm still new to this, just started about a year or so ago and been out a dozen times or so and have gotten 6-7 dogs. But I have found a few guys here who are willing to share info, hunting spots, and even take me out - and I very grateful to them for that as well. (and no I dont go back to their spots unless they say its OK)  Am i in the Woodinville area and lately I have been fairly sucessful getting yotes here on the west side on smaller properties I got permission to hunt by providing free coyote control for the landowners. If you have areas to hunt that you are seeing good signs I'd be happy to head out with you and share my limited knowledge with you. Its not much but its been working for me! Shoot me a PM or something if you want to talk more.
I aint superstitious - cuz its bad luck!
Global Warming: The #1 threat to Unicorns!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »
To those that are new and looking for help...

Try posting a bit more about yourself. Age, experience, location, equipment, etc. I am sure that someone would go look over new country if you were willing to pay gas and they had an idea who they were taking out in the woods.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
 :)These are some very good posts. While you need to understand that you are hunting the hunter, it really is not that much different. You have been hunting a long time, now you need "finese" an extra sense.
1. Go hunting. Get off the road, get off the road!!!!!!~! :bash:
2.Watch the wind from when you are driving, to where you park, to where you hunt, a set up dont work if the approach dont!
 :rolleyes:3 There are no perfect stands  :dunno:
4 once you start calling stop moving. move your eyes, see #3, you can never see it all, dont move to try, or move slowwwwwww!
5. make sure you kill them when they come in, you aint a teacher.
other than that its purty simple. :chuckle:
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 05:50:04 AM »
I'm still new to this, just started about a year or so ago and been out a dozen times or so and have gotten 6-7 dogs. But I have found a few guys here who are willing to share info, hunting spots, and even take me out - and I very grateful to them for that as well. (and no I dont go back to their spots unless they say its OK)  Am i in the Woodinville area and lately I have been fairly sucessful getting yotes here on the west side on smaller properties I got permission to hunt by providing free coyote control for the landowners. If you have areas to hunt that you are seeing good signs I'd be happy to head out with you and share my limited knowledge with you. Its not much but its been working for me! Shoot me a PM or something if you want to talk more.
  ;) your doing sompthing right, thats a 50% call in ratio , thats awsome . Jerry .
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:10:18 AM »
I thought d-rock did a good job in asking for some insight into coyote hunting - respectful, understands what he's asking, etc.  He has a few posts already (not like this is the first one) and might stick around. 

A good piece of advice from Jerry: "I might suggest you find some good coyote country and then ask somone to come to your ground and help you learn."  As mentioned, most people aren't going to give up their spots.

I'm not a coyote hunter or I'd take you out and show you around...

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
i'm getting Ready for calling.  right now i have alot of call orders. but i'll be calling cougar and bobcat soon as the weather is nice. i'll be going by shelton at times to skokomish. i know a little about calling. Rick ;)
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
...You would have better luck asking if you could borrow their wife for a weekend.( gives them more time to go calling... ) 
Now that's funny!  OK, and likely true...

It may sound lame, and only 'partially helpful', but I draw much encouragement for calling from two sources: first, the feedback I get on this site, and secondly coyote hunting DVDs.  OK, DVD's do not replace time in the field, and some DVDs are better about showing you the setup than others. I get more info out of Randy Anderson DVDs than Les Johnson (Predator Quest) for example.

I am making friends of similar "novice-ivity" and we learn from each other that way. (I went out with Sidewinder this morning, until the freezing rain shut us down. Had one coyote move to our calling site, but he busted us before we got to see him.  All we saw were the tracks in the fresh snow.  Some stands are like that.)
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Great post Jerry, that pretty much sums it up.
I might add there are several coyote hunters here in Wa that can teach all of us a few things but they are pretty much closed mouth and probably rightly so.
[smg id=6490]

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw