collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 50 cal. deer hunting......WTF!!!  (Read 16617 times)

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
Re: 50 cal. deer hunting......WTF!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »
WTF, not my cup of tea, and the other thing bad other than using live deer as targets is they also blew up the car and contaminated the fricken water system. Idiots like that should be the one at a mile running back and forth.

But having fired alot of tracers in my life time, a lot is to be learned also from this video, it does not have to be a 50 cal for your bullet to go out of control. They all do, so always be aware of the suroundings when you are shooting. You miss and there is no telling where that bullet will go. I have been on KD ranges before and had the bulles go skipping down the line.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
These guys are not bad shots and the tracers are not any more innaccurate than a normal round.  Everyone thinks that the .50cal BMG is so accurate.  It's not true.  M-24 7.62mm (.308) sniper rifle is FAR more accurate than the M-107 .50cal sniper rifle.  The .308 round has a sub 1" MOA where the .50cal has a 3.5" MOA.  You are not going to get a good group at 1,000 meters with the .50cal compared to the .308 no matter how hard you try.   So its not so much that these guys suck its just they are shooting a weapon and a round that was not meant or designed for long range precision shooting. 

i watched it with the sound off... they're shooting an M-107?  the rifle shown at the end of the video appeared to me (in the 1 second i saw it) to be more along the lines of a custom job.  i was under the impression the .50BMG was a fairly accurate round when fired from a reliable platform.  and I for one am aware of the trajectory of the .50, as even though it's an awesome piece, it's not immune to the forces of gravity! Unlike my beloved .300 win MAG!  flat out to 600!   :yike: :chuckle: )  thanks for weighing in with more real world experience than i have.  closest i've been to a .50 is ogling them when i was young and dumb!   ;)

and i was always told that tracers were less accurate than standard rounds.  again, i've not had any real experience with them, just secondhand 'knowledge.'

heath

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
724,  the .50 BMG is an accurate round when using the proper ammuntion.  Military ammo for automatic rifles is not made to the same tolerances as match ammo, especially the old ball ammo.  If I remember correctly the 7.62mm light machine gun had an expected hit rate of 2%...yeah, 4 rounds out of each 200 rd belt would actually hit.  You can get .50 BMG match bullets with BC close to 1.2 now.  Higher? 
Most people that attempt to shoot long range have one common enemy----wind drift.  The variance in accuracy due to that factor alone tends to be the biggest obstacle.  The .50 BMG is still prone to wind drift, but less than the lighter calibers...even the calibers with flatter trajectories.  The ability to compensate for wind is one of the main things making the rifle so popular.  Ammunition and the rifle determine the accuracy, so yes there are 1 MOA .50 BMGs.  It is basically a scaled up .30-06.  The AR-50 is sold as a 1 MOA, but is capable of smaller groups.
Another misconception is that it will 'vaporize' things when it hits.  It usually just passes through with little damage.  When shooting pumpkins, I have to cut a small hole and fill them with water, then plug the hole....to get them to explode.  The .223 puts on a better show with pumpkins.

Offline canyelk48

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »
Idiots!  That kind of crap should be illegal!!!!!!!!!!   I'd like to see one of them standing out there dodging tracers! 

Offline robescc

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 06:17:38 AM »
That looks like Winthrop on opening morning  :bash:
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline Thenewguy

• Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
the only good thing about this video, is those jerks spent about 8 rounds (60 bucks ish?) to miss a doe 8 times...

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:46 AM »
The only item that interested me was how much bullet ricochet there really is.  When they were shooting off the water it was really skipping.  I have never shot tracers or shot on water.  But it was interesting to actually see it in a video.  You learn this but you never get to see it.

275 down 2

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 08:52:41 AM »
*censored*bags!  >:( >:(

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
I am not gonna beat on them for shooting at deer, some areas have problems and need to cull deer, to each his own, the first shooter did better then a lot of guys at 200yds......but to publish such a video is in extremly poor taste and to shoot at water is beyond stupid.......let alone blow a car up in water. I can't count the bad effects of that move, aside from errant rounds down range.....lead left in the water, oil, gas, antifreeze, misc garbage....etc.

took a true *censored* to put that one on the net.

Offline 6.5swede

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
I couldn't even make it through the whole video.....pretty pathetic and uncalled for

Offline chrisb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 09:43:54 AM »
Did they shoot deer... yes
Is it hunting...NO
would blowing up cars with a rifle be fun.... hell yeah

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 10:03:02 AM »
In a river? or any other body of water? seems like a bad idea to me  :dunno:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:45 AM »
724,  the .50 BMG is an accurate round when using the proper ammuntion.  Military ammo for automatic rifles is not made to the same tolerances as match ammo, especially the old ball ammo.  If I remember correctly the 7.62mm light machine gun had an expected hit rate of 2%...yeah, 4 rounds out of each 200 rd belt would actually hit.  You can get .50 BMG match bullets with BC close to 1.2 now.  Higher? 
Most people that attempt to shoot long range have one common enemy----wind drift.  The variance in accuracy due to that factor alone tends to be the biggest obstacle.  The .50 BMG is still prone to wind drift, but less than the lighter calibers...even the calibers with flatter trajectories.  The ability to compensate for wind is one of the main things making the rifle so popular.  Ammunition and the rifle determine the accuracy, so yes there are 1 MOA .50 BMGs.  It is basically a scaled up .30-06.  The AR-50 is sold as a 1 MOA, but is capable of smaller groups.
Another misconception is that it will 'vaporize' things when it hits.  It usually just passes through with little damage.  When shooting pumpkins, I have to cut a small hole and fill them with water, then plug the hole....to get them to explode.  The .223 puts on a better show with pumpkins.

very good post and 100% correct. some 50bmg rounds have even higher bc's then 1.2 i think i have seen a few in load books around 1.4 mark. The 50bmg can be very accurate round. Like said the military rounds like the m33 are way less accurate down range then then hornady amax and barnes bore riders. 2 of the most common long range ammo shot by today's match shooters. It all depends on the shooters and what they can do. The round has plenty of killing power. The problem with the 50bmg is getting the bullet to expand. the military rounds like the m33 are steel core bullets. the amax will open up a little bit more. But not much. more often then not, it will just Punch a big hole. if you hit real solid bone, then its going to get nasty.

These guys are just flat out stupid! They give everyone a bad name. From long range shooters to hunters. I have no prob with anyone shooting long range or shooting any cal that is legal to use. I have a problem with people that lob shots for fun, wound animals, and don't know there equipment to make clean kills.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
whats sad is a whole hella lot people think its really cool..the whole video industry is destroying hunting tradition,everyone has to get that 10 minutes of fame,or sell something..

YEP
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
I think I witnessed that in the Manastash.   :chuckle:

Screwed up entertainment right thar.  Except for the car that was cool, maybe it was a private lake, whatever you know you would want to do that.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal