collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: one more time...rifles narrowed down to 2  (Read 5727 times)

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
one more time...rifles narrowed down to 2
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
ok i narrowed it down to 2 rifles and one caliber...

weatherby mark v ultra lightwieght 280.

remington mountain LSS 280.

my buddie loads this round and it getting some blazing fast numbers out of this round

ive looked at the kimber's and browning mountain ti and they just didnt feel good at all imo.

so out of the two rifles i have listed...which would be the better gun. NO concern on cost.

my only concern about either rifle is that im not a huge synthetic fan, but the weatherby did feel really good to me. thats about it...for my concerns.

thanks for your opinions guys

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: one more time...rifles narrowed down to 2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Could you post or pm me the loads that are working good for them. 280 is my favorite gun also have you thought about having a custom gun made real close in price to the mark 5

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
Could you post or pm me the loads that are working good for them. 280 is my favorite gun also have you thought about having a custom gun made real close in price to the mark 5

when/if my buddie will give them to me i will let you know. he is very up tight about what he does. and im very suprized he even offered to load for me. he has told me for years i could use his loading equipment to let me laod for myself but has yet to do it.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:59:54 PM »
280 is awesome that weatehrby looks like a dream to carry and the remmy looks pretty so i dunno weatherby might be better for hunting highcountry involvign alot of hiking and such but i dunno. your choice.

Offline Red Dawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:23:26 AM »
That lss is one of the sweatest looking rifles on the market.  You wont find a more reliable rifle than a remington, I dont care what anyone says.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:32:14 AM »
I've never owned a Weatherby. I would go with that in this choice though. The weatherby's have got a fine reputation for shooting well out of the box.

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
another thing that I like about the weatherby is that it has little bit longer barrel.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »
Be a hard choice.....

I own both brands of rifles, use the Weatherby for deer/elk hunting, and the Remmy for "fun".

If I was to look at the "shortcommings", I'd have to list the Weatherby first.

First off, the Weatherby Mark V has one of the strongest actions made. Yes it can handle the 338-378 mag, and not many factory actions can do that,if any, although the design is VERY hard to "True" up with its multiple locking lugs, and ALL it entails, but if you can find a gunsmith with enough training, it CAN be done (I've always thought that if Weatherby was to be rid of all the individual lugs, and turn each ROW into ONE Large lug, they would not loose any strength ((hell, might even be stronger!)), and be much easier to true!). Weatherby also has a very low bolt-throw, which makes it very fast.
You don't need this strength with/for a .280, and I'm nost sure you can get the Mark V in this configuration.

The BIGGEST down fall of the Weatherby is the Free-bore. If you are going to hand-load, you will learn this in a very "Face-Slapping" sort of way.
Don't let anybody lie to you, ALL rifle manufactures use Free-Bore, but Weatherby took it to the next level. I've never seen so much free-bore in a rifle as compared to the Weatherby, and in hand loading this means BUNCHES of load work.
NOT ALL BULLETS LIKE TO "JUMP"!
Finding one that will shoot well can be a challenge, but when you find it (you usually have to use flat-based bullets) they perform well.

The confusing part to me, the two rifles you have in your choice are kind-a the opposite? Arn't they?
If you are going for a "Mountain-Type" rifle, it sounds like you are considering weight, but you list the Weatherby as you other choice, and I may be wrong here-it happens quite a bit ya know, and they can be a bit heavier.

The Weatherby is going to cost more also.

I DO love my Weatherby, it has a certain "Sex-appeal" and mystique that surrounds it from several generations. Maybe because I had read too much about the 300 Weatherby as a kid? Who knows.

The Remington? Its a simple action. Remington came out with it to compete with the Model 70 Winchester, which it has done quite well. Much cheaper to make, and surprisingly MUCH easier to true (its ROUND, like a tube, hell thats what its made from) so it can be put in a lathe and trued up much easier (hence the reason so many smiths like it!). Quality is never as high as the original 70's, it wasn't meant to be, but they could be massed produced and much cheaper to make, and I think it became much larger than anybody ever dreamed.

Its the Chevy 350 of the Gun World. Everybody makes replacement parts for them, and you can find them anywhere/everywhere.
I'm getting long winded here....guess its time to stop. Will this make it any easier for you?? don't know...

"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
Never owned a Weatherby.... I'm not a big fan of their firearms for the most part.  Nothing against em just personal choice more than anything.

That being said I do really like the Rem rifles. 

As a side note....  I rarely (trying to remember if I ever have) seen anyone I know build guns on Weatherby actions.  Seen lots of Rems, Sakos, Brownings.  For what that's worth.   

So, as ya might expect, I'd say go w/ the Rem.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
I vote for the weatherby ultra light. I've got one in 300 and love it. Both are nice though.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline mossback91

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
Well I want the remmy but I see many advantages tot he weatherby.

Offline FOsteology

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 09:59:11 AM »
Of the two, the LSS would be my pick as I'm simply not fond of Weatherby rifles....

I've had a handful of LSS rifles, and retain two in the stable. A nice attractive rifle for sure, but the balance is butt heavy due to the heavy laminate stock.

If it were me.... I'd get the LSS and either drop the barreled action in a McMillan Classic or Mountain Rifle EDGE stock. Or, if $$ was tight, drop it in a take off Ti stock. You'll cut 9-12 oz and have a better balanced and handling rifle. BTDT :twocents:

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
Id go with the Remmy myself. Cant offer anything on the 280, but the ballistics are impressive. The 700 is an easy asction to work with and have lots of after market accessories. I have nothing against Weatherby and own and have owned a few, I just feel that the 700 offers alot for the money, and later down the road is an excellent platform for a custom build. 280AI for instance. Just my .02.

Sage

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 01:39:17 PM »

The confusing part to me, the two rifles you have in your choice are kind-a the opposite? Arn't they?
If you are going for a "Mountain-Type" rifle, it sounds like you are considering weight, but you list the Weatherby as you other choice, and I may be wrong here-it happens quite a bit ya know, and they can be a bit heavier.

the weatherby ultra lightwieght is only 5 3/4lbs and the remington lss is 6 1/2lbs. approx...

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »
Of the two, the LSS would be my pick as I'm simply not fond of Weatherby rifles....

I've had a handful of LSS rifles, and retain two in the stable. A nice attractive rifle for sure, but the balance is butt heavy due to the heavy laminate stock.

If it were me.... I'd get the LSS and either drop the barreled action in a McMillan Classic or Mountain Rifle EDGE stock. Or, if $$ was tight, drop it in a take off Ti stock. You'll cut 9-12 oz and have a better balanced and handling rifle. BTDT :twocents:

thats what i planned on doing with the remington if i get it. im looking to get my new rifle as light as possible. i do alot of hiking when hunting and i just need a light wieght rifle.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »
My 3 year old Rem is a sub MOA out of the box, factory ammo. Love my Remington.

I dont know....flip a coin?  :dunno:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
I would go with Weatherby.
Longer barrel, better resale and less likely to get a lemon.
I have heard forever how the 700 action is the basis for this and that but I feel QC at Remington is alot more likely to let a turd slip thru and don't want to be the one to find it.
When I was shopping for a 7mm-08, I wanted a Rem LSS in the worst way but bought a Tikka instead for the reasons posted above and don't regret it.
Rem trigger will need work too, even if the barrel/action is spot on.
come to think of it, why not a S/SS Tikka 7MM magnum?
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline FOsteology

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
thats what i planned on doing with the remington if i get it. im looking to get my new rifle as light as possible. i do alot of hiking when hunting and i just need a light wieght rifle.

Another option for light weight is the 84M Kimber Montana. The .308Win or .338 Federal would be an ideal mountain rifle and weigh in 5lbs (+/- a couple ounces) sans scope and rings.

I went this route with a .338 Federal and mine weighs in under 6lbs all up.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Thinkingman-Don't know....I kinda feel Remington is busting butt to keep shooters happy. Look at all the new things they are doing, and I'm not just saying this because I'm a Remmy Man.
Just go to their website and order a new catalog. 
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
im fine with remington. i just wish they would lay off the thumbhole stocks.. how ugly
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 05:29:32 PM »

Another option for light weight is the 84M Kimber Montana. The .308Win or .338 Federal would be an ideal mountain rifle and weigh in 5lbs (+/- a couple ounces) sans scope and rings.

I went this route with a .338 Federal and mine weighs in under 6lbs all up.

lol how funny. i just actually looked those up last night. and im ordering one next week.

its got everything i need and am looking for.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]