collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 223 or 22-250  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Straight Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: 223 or 22-250
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
Although the .22-250 is undoubtedly a better performing cartridge, I still prefer the .223 (I own 5 of them).  The .223 is very accurate, cheap to shoot, ammo readily available and will kill anything (knowing its limits) that I'm shooting at within 300 yards.  If I want/need better performance, I'll move up to the .243 (a great dual predator/deer cartridge).
United States Air Force, Retired - Apr '85-Nov '05
Operation ENDURING FREEDOM & Operation IRAQI FREEDOM Veteran

Offline Slenk

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 02:28:58 PM »
I had a .223 , have a 22-250 now and like it a lot better.
I don't shoot a spray and pray gun though either.
Not much difference in cost of ammo if you reload.
Slenk

Offline DaveR

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
I have, and like both. I don't think you could go wrong with a 22-250 for the big vermin. If you plan on rodent's though. You better get a .223. 22-250's don't last when the shooting is good. Unless you have 4 or 5 of um on the tailgate. :twocents: I started out with a 22-250. Then I went to Idaho on a chuck shoot. That lead to pdogs, and gophers, n squirrels. Prepare yourself for the same thing happening to you. Either way you will NEED both I guess....It can turn out bad. The wife will end up using them on you. Cause as the wind picks up. Most of us need a bigger, and bigger gun. There is no end to it....Good Luck!

Offline hoosier85

• Tracker
  • If its brown its down!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
Is it just me or is this just us guys that cant make up our minds on calibers. everytime I take my wife to look at guns for her she is always dead set on what she wants and has tunnel vision. she will handle a few guns but go right back to the same one everytime. Myself on the other hand, it takes me months to figure out what caliber  and what kind of gun i want. I don't know were i am taking this reply but i guess what i am trying to say is am i the only one that notices this??   :twocents:

oh and both rounds are great, i guess what it would come down for me is what platform do i want to use and price and availability of the ammo.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 06:14:44 PM »
But as far as the 223 being cheaper to shoot, it's suppose to be one shot one kill, right.   :dunno:  Riiiiiiight!    :chuckle:
What if you want to make a couple thousand one-shot kills?  :chuckle:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline 700xcr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
If you want to do alot of high volume shooting I would get the 223rem. and with less barrel heat. :twocents:
Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr.

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »
Is it just me or is this just us guys that cant make up our minds on calibers. everytime I take my wife to look at guns for her she is always dead set on what she wants and has tunnel vision. she will handle a few guns but go right back to the same one everytime. Myself on the other hand, it takes me months to figure out what caliber  and what kind of gun i want. I don't know were i am taking this reply but i guess what i am trying to say is am i the only one that notices this??   :twocents:

I look at guns the same way as your wife. I have exactly what I want in mind and nothing anyone can show me will deter me from my original plan. Before setting foot in the store I already know what make, model, caliber, scope, and accessories I want on a particular weapon. Once I have that one I will start planning the next, usually a couple of years of planning a platform before I commit. That being said there have been a few instances where I have bought second hand guns on a whim just because the price was right, but I never find as much enjoyment out of the ones I just stumble upon. The second hand guns in no way sidetrack me from my original goal though. My wife calls it stubbornness. I call it determination.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal