collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Hunters-Any Results??  (Read 6780 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Spring Bear Hunters-Any Results??
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 05:53:03 AM »
Thinking about a day trip to CF Sunday, scout and calling.  Next weekend, we're gonna plan on a 3 day weekend.  Hoping for some better weather :dunno:   BTKR, let me know what your plans are, might could use a veteran caller :chuckle:  

I am hoping that the weather will get better (too cold to sleep in my truck) and if it does I will probably hunt the coast. I may take a drive out today and if I see anything interesting I will let ya know.
Next weekend

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »
I am trying to figure out the politics behind Sierra wanting a depradation hunt on there property but not allowing access to there property. Go figure! Success will be pretty low if you can't access most of there property.

So I have two thoughts on this and depending on the amount of damage I am sure one of them is right.

1. Are they concentrating the hunters in the areas with the most timber damage?
    Is there alot of peeled / dead or dying trees? How much bear sign are you seeing? Since this is also     on DNR land I would try to contact someone within the agency to see where the most damage is.

2. Most likely this is the F&G giving an "opportunity" to hunt which allows them to sell more applications.  The unit I was drawn for is all private timber land and this year they are charging a small access fee. There is no major bear damage in this unit and they still run the dogs in there. Last year most of the gates were locked and I did get locked behind a gate during the spring bear season.

Online SuperDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
I am trying to figure out the politics behind Sierra wanting a depradation hunt on there property but not allowing access to there property. Go figure!  I have thought this all along and that this hunt is strictly a revenue for the WDFW.  Let people buy the tags and permit applications and give out a few a tags.  Bears aren't out in the open, they are in the timber this time of year.  Success rates will be pretty low.  I think the later the better.  When does the season close?

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 07:18:10 AM »
Bears aren't out in the open, they are in the timber this time of year.  Success rates will be pretty low

These (Westside) are supposed to be damage hunts and in the timber is where the damages occurs. The success rates aren't supposed to be high, but it would be nice to know there are a few critters around.
My beef is "why a damage hunt when there is no damage?".

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 08:39:02 AM »
Seems to me, damage hunts are preventative and responsive. Responsive because they can be used to help stop further damage. Preventative because if there isn't any damage there yet, it doesn't mean there won't be.

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »
There is suppose to be a lot of peeled trees in the unit, but so far I havent found any freshly peeled and very few that have been peeled in the past.  It just doesnt make alot of since to give out 20 damage tags and not give access into the areas that have been damaged.  From what I have heard is Sierra has went away from having the hound guys kill the bears for them, and gone to this spring boot hunt.  You want the problem bears taken care of, allow us the access!
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
You won't find any fresh peels for awhile yet, but you should be able to find some red flags or dead trees if they have been peeling there in the past.

I am not familiar with Serria, their practices or the general area for that matter so I must plead ignorance. My question is are they keeping you out or just not opening the gates? Have they given you a map of the area?

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
Sierra is a bunch of B/S...they allow the Indians to run wild on their land and keep the boot hunters out...I dont understand anything they are doing up there and it is getting really irritating just dealing with the idiots...And what you said bearhunter they are supposed to only allow boot hunters but for some reason hound hunters are running around all over in the surrounding units.....

Offline Rhinoron247

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
Rhino if your wanting good bears up in the Lick, follow the elk stay up high and get on the onions.  took a 6'5"  jet blonde out of there in 2005 on the spring hunt.  You got a chance to filter through a lot of bears take your time size em up.  Good luck!

Timber, got any pics of your blonde?  Would love to see them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal