collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana in 08!  (Read 9005 times)

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Montana in 08!
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 08:44:39 AM »
huntphool theres no deer inregion7 only antelopes ;) lots of public land and block management but im telling you its not worth the drive :bdid:wish i was going back there did not get drawn for 2nd year in a row  :'(     kram

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
Huntnphool, Are you on BLM, Block Managment or someones ranch?

Both. I am fortunate enough to have 24000 acres of some of the best deer hunting in the state to hunt, owned by a friend, but we do hunt public land around there as well, in fact 2 of those bucks we took last year were on public land and several of those bucks in the pics we passed on were on public land. I was really hoping to drag M-Ray, kicking and screaming, over there this year to help cull the numbers :chuckle: but the guy just needs some better Karma or something, he couldn't draw a tag if he took a art class :yike: Sorry Mark couldn't resist, love ya brotha ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
Come on now do have to kick a guy when he's down?  :nono:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »
Come on now do have to kick a guy when he's down?  :nono:

Well your still invited, I can always use a good strong spotter to help pack out my animal :chuckle:

Lets hope you draw next year, after all what are the chances I draw again :rolleyes:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline wf70gonehunting

• scout
  • Hunter
  • bad day hunting,beats the best day at work
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
I think thats a trick question. :chuckle: :chuckle:    after all what are my changes of drawing again next year.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
Huntnphool, Are you on BLM, Block Managment or someones ranch?

:chuckle: but the guy just needs some better Karma or something, he couldn't draw a tag if he took a art class :yike: Sorry Mark couldn't resist, love ya brotha ;)

I don't know....he does pretty good drawing tags in this state.  ;)

I'm with ya though M_ray.....I couldn't even draw this year and I put in for a landowner tag. 

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
I'm going to hold off for at least a decent 4-pt.  I hunt way over in unit 7 where a 130 is a nice buck for us. 

Are you kidding me? I hunt region 7 and wont even look at 170 class buck until the last day. Try the block management system, or talk to the biologists, the deer are there NRA, take a look at these, all from region 7. Maybe your talking whitetail?

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,2785.0.html
Region 7 must be a hell of a lot different than the central areas. I did not see harvested by anyone, including our group any muleys over 170", though we did see maybe 1-2 on private land pushing that big. The average muley buck in the central is 3-4 point 18-22". I think we saw a higher percentage of large whitetails in the cental area (Region 4-5). Our largest was 150-155". We were somewhat plagued by weather last year, quite a few deer we saw, we just couldn't evaluate well with blowing snow and low clouds over 1/2 the trip.

Criminy Huntinphool, your not old enough to have a personal pack-mule!! :chuckle:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
Well the areas we hunt are the same Guy Eastman hunts, if you ever watch the show or look at the magazine. Have you ever seen him or his dad tag anything over there less than 170? Probably happens every once in a while but not too often. I think most of you know I'm generally pretty close when scoring animals and if anything tend to estimate on the lower side. Being primarily private land does help the animals grow to older ages and the minerals they need for large antlers is not lacking either. Combine those 2 and you have the making for some pretty good hunting. My friends lease their property to a outfitter and he charges $5,500/person for deer, there is a reason he can charge that and its because the hunter has a realistic chance of seeing a 170+ buck. Now all that being said, your right, it is a very long drive and not worth the ga$, so please continue to concentrate in the central units :chuckle:

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
  :chuckle: I did see that area on the Eastman show. Think Zumbo hunted there a couple times too.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Thanks for having my back  Muleyslyr I don't know :dunno: what he's talking about I drew Elk last year, the desert archery a few years ago, and 2 LE tags in Oregon as well  :dunno: he just likes to give me $hi+!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »
Sh.t M_ray.....If I could hunt 170" class bucks 8 out of 11 years, I think I'd be givin' you sh.t too.  :chuckle:  Just make sure he keeps that invite of his open for when you do draw.  ;)

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 01:14:33 PM »
I will pretend to M-Ray if you take me :chuckle:

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »
Just make sure he keeps that invite of his open for when you do draw. 

Oh yeah I'm sure he will ... and I'm going anyways this year I'm putting in for Antelope and if I have to I'll get a Doe tag and shoot it with my Bow!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 04:54:33 PM by M_ray »

MB

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »
I will pretend to M-Ray if you take me

Good luck with that rougheye thems big shoes to fill!  :chuckle: But it looks like if anyone could do it I think you could pull it off  :chuckle: ... But be careful of the part where huntnphool trys to tell you I like to rest my head on his lap during the long trip ... that part is :bs:

MB

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
I will pretend to M-Ray if you take me
... But be careful of the part where huntnphool trys to tell you I like to rest my head on his lap during the long trip ... that part is :bs:

Now thats some funny $#it right there. Actually Rougheye you would have to be built like that gal shooting her bow someone posted a while back, and a "purty mouth" only works for Mossback91 :lol4: If I dont draw next year and you do I may take you up on that though, it would give me the excuse to go all the way over there again, I can live with just taking pics and guiding. To be honest thats all I had planned this year.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:31:09 PM by huntnphool »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]