collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what is this duck?  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
what is this duck?
« on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »
went out today around the Columbia with Ellensburg and his trusty browning cynergy. We ended up with a gw teal, bufflehead and we cant seem to id one of the ducks he shot, I think its a gadwall but maybe pintail hen? thanks!
Coastal Perspective.

Offline fishermanjoe

• Longhunter
Re: what is this duck?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »
Juv gadwall hen?

Offline duckaholic

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
pin tail hen. the small blue marks on the bill give it away and it should have dark/black feet.
gun control means use two hands

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
pin tail hen. the small blue marks on the bill give it away and it should have dark/black feet.

X2

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
Hen Pintail.
There are no juveniles this time of year plumage wise.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

sisu

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
Thanks guys for helping a fellow hunter. This is how folks learn getting good advice and help. Thank you for helping!

Offline Ellensburg

• Official Cynergy Club Member
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:20 PM »
What a flattering post.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
Hen Pintail.
Sako is right on the money, hen pintail
 :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »
What a flattering post.
drake would have been better :chuckle:
Coastal Perspective.

Offline chester

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Hen Pintail.
Sako is right on the money, hen pintail
 :twocents:

:yeah:
Dilligaf

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think a pintail is a pretty rare duck for that part of he columbia.

Offline blacklab-123

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
hey stickerbush, I think it might be a columbia river swan? :chuckle:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
Pintail hen.  100%  Did you shoot a limit of them?
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Ellensburg

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
Pintail hen.  100%  Did you shoot a limit of them?

Yep 14. Yum

Offline bush_beater

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »
another vote for hen pintail
dude! I am a PROFESSIONAL!

Offline Ellensburg

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
And I was just kidding. Only 1 pinny

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
hey stickerbush, I think it might be a columbia river swan? :chuckle:
oh I was thinking snowgoose  :P
Coastal Perspective.

Offline ridge line

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
                 And this is what the drake looks like

Offline Ratdog68

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:49 PM »
In other words... a "Gutaguk" (sp?).  In my dad's language (Inupiat), the pintail was named for the sound it made "Goo-ta-guk"   :hello:
Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves with eat you.-Benjamin Franklin
NRA Life Member
Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
Pray for all politicians... Psalm 109:8

Offline Nimrod

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
14 that's alot of pennies for two guys  :chuckle:

Offline jordano

• Sourdough
  • Cupped and Comin'!
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=593729282&sk=info
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
Ozzie

Do what you like. Like what you do.

<><

Gettin' their feet on my face!

Offline goober

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
You really should learn to identify those ducks BEFORE you shoot them, especially since you are only allowed two. Being new is no excuse, it is the responsibilty of the hunter to know what he is shooting. Game wardens love guys like you.

Offline ducks55

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
You really should learn to identify those ducks BEFORE you shoot them, especially since you are only allowed two. Being new is no excuse, it is the responsibilty of the hunter to know what he is shooting. Game wardens love guys like you.

True but a hen pin on the river is a wtf? duck. They are veryy rare down there. Good chance it bounced there after the hard freeze up of the smaller water around the area. Oh well youre perfectly legal and next time youll know. Nice job.  :hello:

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »
well its not like it would have been illegal to shoot one of these anyway. We know the regs and that you can only shoot 2 per day, obviously the hen looks a lot different from the drake and hens are sort of generic looking when flying at you with the sun in your face. But yea if we thought it was a gadwall or something then we might be in a bad spot if we shot seven of them. I been at it for a few years now shot pintail but never a hen
Coastal Perspective.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »

JESUS CHRISTO!!! why is that the waterfowl thread always turns into Jerry Springer? I will look dead into the eyes of any waterfowl hunter and call him a bald face liar if he tried to say he has NEVER shot a duck that he was not 100% what it was before he shot. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it happens. In the early morning light many of the smaller ducks look similar I.E. hen pintail, hen shoveler, gadwals. I quit posting and following the waterfowl thread because of all the drama. It takes time and experience to be able to identify birds in the air and even the best make a mistake once in a while. In order to get to that place people sometimes need to make their OWN mistakes. If it is a habitual thing then the law will find them in due time. Don't bust a guys balls for asking a question about shooting a duck. If you cant ask fellow hunters who else is there. If it was a picture of 7 hen pintails and the question was " Hey what do you think these are?" I could see how that would warrant a little bashing. Give a guy a break and lighten up this waterfowl section is like going back to 7th. grade.

150% Hen Pintail and you will find they are more common to the Columbia river and it's drainages than some may tell you. I have shot them from Thorp to Clarkston and everywhere in between.  Look for the long necks and pointy curved wings when they are in flight it's a dead giveaway. Go get em and have fun it's a learning curve and the only way to do it is to just get out and hunt.       
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:22:47 PM by CoryTDF »
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »

True but a hen pin on the river is a wtf? duck. They are veryy rare down there. Good chance it bounced there after the hard freeze up of the smaller water around the area. Oh well youre perfectly legal and next time youll know. Nice job.  :hello:

Not if you know where to go.  They congregate with the mallards this time of year to hit the corn.  Find where the corn eatin mallards are and you will find pinnies.  Pinnies are big water birds primarily.  I know of a bar on the Columbia where they sit in the early season, it's very hard to hunt though.

Offline ducks55

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10:58 PM »
Yeahh well they are no where near as common as mallards so dont give me the if you know where to go they arent because yeah you can go to specific little spots and target one species all the time but the main stream of birds on the columbia does not consist of pintail. It consists of mainly divers and to someone who is targeting divers and a pinnie comes in I promise you they will say what the !@#$

Offline woodywsu

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Pintails on the Columbia are not rare with these conditions. Nice bird and good luck in your future outings.

Offline DUCKDOWNER

• Pilgrim
  • HOOK EM AND HOSE EM
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »

JESUS CHRISTO!!! why is that the waterfowl thread always turns into Jerry Springer? I will look dead into the eyes of any waterfowl hunter and call him a bald face liar if he tried to say he has NEVER shot a duck that he was not 100% what it was before he shot. I'm not saying this is a good thing but it happens. In the early morning light many of the smaller ducks look similar I.E. hen pintail, hen shoveler, gadwals. I quit posting and following the waterfowl thread because of all the drama. It takes time and experience to be able to identify birds in the air and even the best make a mistake once in a while. In order to get to that place people sometimes need to make their OWN mistakes. If it is a habitual thing then the law will find them in due time. Don't bust a guys balls for asking a question about shooting a duck. If you cant ask fellow hunters who else is there. If it was a picture of 7 hen pintails and the question was " Hey what do you think these are?" I could see how that would warrant a little bashing. Give a guy a break and lighten up this waterfowl section is like going back to 7th. grade.

150% Hen Pintail and you will find they are more common to the Columbia river and it's drainages than some may tell you. I have shot them from Thorp to Clarkston and everywhere in between.  Look for the long necks and pointy curved wings when they are in flight it's a dead giveaway. Go get em and have fun it's a learning curve and the only way to do it is to just get out and hunt.       
:yeah:

Offline goober

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
Go ahead, fire away, weinies! Sure, we all mistake a bird in the air once in awhile, but at least we know what it is once it gets to our hand. Its my belief that you shouldn't be in the field until you can identify what you're shooting at. If you're not sure, don't shoot. Jeez, no wonder this sport sucks these days. Hey, I got it....if you're not sure if a bird is in range, just shoot at it. If you don't knock it down, it probably wasn't. I'm sure all the whiners about skyscraping will love that mentality. :bash:

Offline jordano

• Sourdough
  • Cupped and Comin'!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 11:57:09 PM »

well said Cory!!
Ozzie

<><

Offline jordano

• Sourdough
  • Cupped and Comin'!
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
Go ahead, fire away, weinies! Sure, we all mistake a bird in the air once in awhile, but at least we know what it is once it gets to our hand. Its my belief that you shouldn't be in the field until you can identify what you're shooting at. If you're not sure, don't shoot. Jeez, no wonder this sport sucks these days. Hey, I got it....if you're not sure if a bird is in range, just shoot at it. If you don't knock it down, it probably wasn't. I'm sure all the whiners about skyscraping will love that mentality. :bash:
What the heck is your problem? you should help out beginning hunters not blow up on them like you are. you are right that they should no what it is, but don't throw a pissing fit like you are.. tell them what the bird is and say hey maybe study up on your birds so you know what it is next time... don't be an a$$hole about it..
Ozzie

<><

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »
Goober huh? Well, that's fitting.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:57:40 AM »
You need to tone down the attitude, you come across like an IRS auditor.  There are everyone from young kids to some of the most experienced hunters in the state on here.  These guys didn't do a thing wrong, they are trying to ID what they shot, how the heck else do you learn?  They got it down to one of two species, and are seeking confirmation.  Talk to anyone in enforcement who works waterfowl hunters, they have ALL come across harvested ducks that required a consult to figure out what they are.  At least twice I've pulled the trigger on a gadwall, that turned into a hen pintail in the hand. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
goober, dont be rude. This post started filled with posative comments and you just come in here and crap all over everything. Thanks to everyone who offered help, and fyi pintail was within the top two that we thought it was. We had just never seen a hen before. Either way when we shot it we knew it was a legal bird, so overall it was a good shoot and learning experience
Coastal Perspective.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

Not if you know where to go.  They congregate with the mallards this time of year to hit the corn.  Find where the corn eatin mallards are and you will find pinnies.  Pinnies are big water birds primarily.  I know of a bar on the Columbia where they sit in the early season, it's very hard to hunt though.

The spot we were hunting was actually a smaller body of water  maybe a half mile or mile from the Columbia. Most of the birds we were seeing were buffleheads, but yea I always thought of pintails as big water birds but I guess a few come around still
Coastal Perspective.

Offline whiteeyes

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
How about "dead duck".  lol

Offline Black Plague

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »

Wow, so you are one of those...(everyone here can fill in that blank for themselves) .... so I suppose everyone should study in the field without a gun, and just try to match up pictures and birds for a couple of years... and i would also then suppose that most of the fathers that took their kids on the youth hunt were bad guys because lets face it many younger kids can't positively identify every duck every time... geez...

Offline Ellensburg

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 12:15:33 PM »
Goober, I shot that duck. We looked at it. Said it was either a gadwall or a pintail hen... Knew the limit was 2 on the pintail... Seems pretty informed to me. I'm no beginner hunter. This is my 12th year hunting. I've shot a lot of of ducks but I am not a pro at identifying them. Saw the duck. Looked like a big teal or a hen mallard when it was flying in. Slayed the duck and realized it was a gadwall or pintail. Nothin u need to jump on my balls about. Every hunter that spends a lot of time in the field makes mistakes. Weather it be crossing over some land boundry, injuring game, or what not. I don't even know what I could have mistaken this bird for that would have been illegal? Didn't look like a bald Eagle or a comerant... lol

You people gotta be nice to others on this website. Arrogant people should go to another forum.

Offline teal101

• Team Kramer Farms
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Yeahh well they are no where near as common as mallards so dont give me the if you know where to go they arent because yeah you can go to specific little spots and target one species all the time but the main stream of birds on the columbia does not consist of pintail. It consists of mainly divers and to someone who is targeting divers and a pinnie comes in I promise you they will say what the !@#$

And mallards arent anywhere near as common as bills, ringers, wigeon, or even redheads for that matter unless you're on the reserve.  Location location location :chuckle:

I know I've seen pintails in my diver spots and gone what the hell.  Same with mallards.  That river is a tricky little spot to hunt.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »
Goober, I shot that duck. We looked at it. Said it was either a gadwall or a pintail hen... Knew the limit was 2 on the pintail... Seems pretty informed to me. I'm no beginner hunter. This is my 12th year hunting. I've shot a lot of of ducks but I am not a pro at identifying them. Saw the duck. Looked like a big teal or a hen mallard when it was flying in. Slayed the duck and realized it was a gadwall or pintail. Nothin u need to jump on my balls about. Every hunter that spends a lot of time in the field makes mistakes. Weather it be crossing over some land boundry, injuring game, or what not. I don't even know what I could have mistaken this bird for that would have been illegal? Didn't look like a bald Eagle or a comerant... lol

You people gotta be nice to others on this website. Arrogant people should go to another forum.
Yeah dude those eagles will get ya, they just like a duck coming into the spread :chuckle:

Offline money794

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:58 PM »
hen pintail we got a couple today :IBCOOL:

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
A Quacker.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Ratdog68

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
"Dinner"   :drool:
Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves with eat you.-Benjamin Franklin
NRA Life Member
Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
Pray for all politicians... Psalm 109:8

Offline ducks55

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »

And mallards arent anywhere near as common as bills, ringers, wigeon, or even redheads for that matter unless you're on the reserve.  Location location location :chuckle:

I know I've seen pintails in my diver spots and gone what the hell.  Same with mallards.  That river is a tricky little spot to hunt.

Exactly what Im sayin, and Im also sayin damn where are all the ducks. Id shoot just about anything out there right now. Its been pretty sad the last few weeks.

Offline DUCKDOWNER

• Pilgrim
  • HOOK EM AND HOSE EM
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »

Yeah dude those eagles will get ya, they just like a duck coming into the spread :chuckle:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
I always have a hard time with the North Columbian Emu. In the right light it can look just like a Purple Headed Red Wing Teal, which as we all know bares a striking resemblance to the Chilean Widgeon. However, the most troublesome duck, to me, is the Circum Navigator Diving Snow Faced Zebra Legged Blue Bill. On the other hand, those Goober Ducks will tend to mess up a hunt as well. They always swoop in and when everything seems to be going good they let out that anything quack and mess everything up. Once they start it seems like they never shut up. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:   
CoryTDF

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »
I always have a hard time with the North Columbian Emu. In the right light it can look just like a Purple Headed Red Wing Teal, which as we all know bares a striking resemblance to the Chilean Widgeon. However, the most troublesome duck, to me, is the Circum Navigator Diving Snow Faced Zebra Legged Blue Bill. On the other hand, those Goober Ducks will tend to mess up a hunt as well. They always swoop in and when everything seems to be going good they let out that anything quack and mess everything up. Once they start it seems like they never shut up. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:   
:chuckle: Ok that was good  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter