collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How Far Turkeys Will Travel from Their Roost the First Hour After Daylight  (Read 23741 times)

Offline Gobble Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Last season my son and I heard some birds and called them down to us but we missed our opportunity . My plan this year is to return to the same area and locate their roosting tree . I am curious how far they would have traveled ( a guess ) from that tree in the first hour or hour and a half of daylight when we first heard them which was about two hundred yards from us . This would help me determine a starting point to find their roost . Thanks for anyones help .

Offline Everett

• Tracker
I think if you google Turkey Habitat/Roosting you should be able to find out exactly how far.  I know there is tons of information on it online.  From what I recall reading I don't think they wander off too far.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
I don't think there is any one answer to that.  I've had birds roost up right on the edge of the field  and fly down directely into at daylight.  I've also seen birds roost on a high ridge and literally sail down hundreds of yards before landing down.  If the year is very dry, it's not unusual for them to fly down and head for water before starting to feed.  It's also important t0 remember that merimams don't always roost in the same trees.  the area I hunt in Stevens country, in fact, it's kind of uncommon for the birds around me to roost in the same tree 2 nights in a row.  A couple of years ago I had a nice tom fly down just out of range from me and start off, about 20 minutes later he walked into my brother who was at the bottom of the canyon nearly a mile away.  I would warn that calling to the birds while still on the roost is very, very tricky business-fun to get them going crazy gobbling, but not often succsessful.  Best to try to roost them the night before and observe how they went to the roost, usually they'll come back off the same way. (Usually, but not always)  I've had better luck watching them go up and then being at the launch spot well before daylight, then just sitting quietly.  You can get surprisinly close in the dark.  I've known hunters who've actually gotten under them and shot them off the roost.  (I consider this the same as shooting one out a car window!) On your prehunt scouting trips, try to follow some in the evening watch how they go up and then observe them the next morning when they come down.  I'm pretty confident that they easily cover 4-5 miles a day in their rambles.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
As far as they want too.  Location of roost..(private, public land)  natural habits, man caused habits (feeding), mating pressure, pecking order disturbances, nesting area distance, food and water sources, predators and hunting pressure can all cause differences in distance a turkey may travel from roost..you ask specifically the first hour however..in my opinion less than a 1/2 mile.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
I have an Eastern that I have been after for 3 years now...
He flies down (actually across) to a bald hill about 75 yards out in a clear-cut, then he gobbles and struts out there for anywhere from an hour to 3, then disappears into .....???  :bash:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
As far as they want too.  Location of roost..(private, public land)  natural habits, man caused habits (feeding), mating pressure, pecking order disturbances, nesting area distance, food and water sources, predators and hunting pressure can all cause differences in distance a turkey may travel from roost..you ask specifically the first hour however..in my opinion less than a 1/2 mile.

That's pretty much a perfect answer in my opinion.  I'd change the 1/2 mile to 1/4 mile though.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
As far as movement it depends on the subspecies, hunting pressure, water, food, etc.  Yelp is right, they will travel as much as they need too ... seen them go just a few hundred yards to miles.

I will note that if you overcall while they are on the roost, they will smell a rat, flydown, and move away from you.  Biggest mistake anyone can make ...
 :bdid:

If you call once and they reply, then they recognized you as a real hen ... shut up until you know they are on the ground.  Use their curiosity ... let them come look for you ... call sparingly and only as loud as needed. You may find them in your lap and not 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, and be giving them a piggy back ride to your truck and cooler.
 :drool:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Heck if they ain't bumped by anything in the first hour. I agree with the others, I don't think they would travel more then 1/2 probably closer to 1/4 if that. A lot of the toms in this country, when it gets later in the season. Will go to there strut zone and mess around there all day. Until they go to roost.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
As far as they want too.  Location of roost..(private, public land)  natural habits, man caused habits (feeding), mating pressure, pecking order disturbances, nesting area distance, food and water sources, predators and hunting pressure can all cause differences in distance a turkey may travel from roost..you ask specifically the first hour however..in my opinion less than a 1/2 mile.

That's pretty much a perfect answer in my opinion.  I'd change the 1/2 mile to 1/4 mile though.

I agree them Okanogan Co. Wild Turkeys have to climb them mountains..LOL  One legs usually shorter than other from sidehilling..so they can't go too far...LOL
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
He flies down (actually across) to a bald hill about 75 yards out in a clear-cut, then he gobbles and struts out there for anywhere from an hour to 3, then disappears into .....???  :bash:

If it happens again this year I want to come over and I will sit where you are and film you coming out of a fresh dug bald hill pitblind and smashing that badboy!   :chuckle: Or you can film me.. :dunno:  :chuckle:   I say you nickname him "Casper"  LOL

Born to Yelp!

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: How Far Turkeys Will Travel from Their Roost the First Hour After Daylight
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:46 PM »
Well, one thing about these posts-just goes to show what makes them so damn fun to hunt-bout the time you think you have them figured out, they make you look stupid by doing something else!!!  And they say Turkey's are stupid, wonder sometimes where that puts me!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:22 PM »
Well, one thing about these posts-just goes to show what makes them so damn fun to hunt-bout the time you think you have them figured out, they make you look stupid by doing something else!!!  And they say Turkey's are stupid, wonder sometimes where that puts me!

No Comment..LOL  Your right..it is fun..especially tracking turkeys with a squealer or crow call.  Cah Cah SQUUEELLL SQUEELL  TAKE"EM!!    :chuckle: :chuckle:

Born to Yelp!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
He flies down (actually across) to a bald hill about 75 yards out in a clear-cut, then he gobbles and struts out there for anywhere from an hour to 3, then disappears into .....???  :bash:

If it happens again this year I want to come over and I will sit where you are and film you coming out of a fresh dug bald hill pitblind and smashing that badboy!   :chuckle: Or you can film me.. :dunno:  :chuckle:   I say you nickname him "Casper"  LOL

I actually am thinking of borrowing a shotgun... I have had him in range, he just spooked when I tried to draw my bow,
 If I get drawn for Spring Bear again, maybe I will show you where he hangs.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Gobble Man

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments about this post .

Antlerking

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
I have  witnessed when they fly out of the roast they head for water and then wonder around aimlessly for hours on end and I have seen them walk 1-2 mile circles around and end up back to were they started

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]