collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: whats a shooter to you??  (Read 6295 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
whats a shooter to you??
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:18:57 PM »
kind of slow around here, so maybe this will get things  going. in this state, whats a shooter buck for you? lets say you're NOT hunting the entiat/desert/etc. where normally our "giants" come from...what does it take for you to pull the trigger.
inquiring minds want to know.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: whats a shooter to you??
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »
A legal buck with an ethical shot. Thats bout it for me. Of course, it depends. I dont know if I would take a smaller buck opening day, as I like to hunt as long as I can...but on the other hand...;)

My first deer I shot with a bow, was a black tail 2X3. Arrow went through him, double lung, he pounced a few yards and laid down. I waited for him to bleed out for about 5 minutes or so. Walked over to where I shot him and a 5 point was bedded down in the brush right by him...I was happy with the 2X3 for sure (it was the biggest deer I had got at the time and my first with a bow) but it would have been great to bag that 5 pointer.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 04:29:52 PM »
I guess i'd like to get a crack at a nice 4x4 muley...a big 3 would do just fine, i'm certainly not picky, but i have gotten enough smallish 3x3 muleys. if i see a whitetail, it's gonna have to be at least a 4x4. late in the season, my priorities would change to put meat in the freezer. i ate my tag last year looking for a bigger than normal deer and i really miss the venison in the freezer.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
I'm kinda picky.  Since I started raising my own beef I hunt for bone now.  For blacktail it has to have at least a solid 3 on one side.  A 2x3 is ok if it has width or mass but anything snaller will walk.  Whitetails have to be a solid 3x3+, outside their ears and be no less than around 125-130+"  Mulies have to be outside their ears or have a ton of mass.  Elk have to be a solid 4+ and decent points.  I broke my own "no raghorn" rule last year with a small 4 pt. but it was for a good cause.  I gave up shooting spikes, 2 pts and little basket bucks years ago.  I figure that with a couple of freezers full of beef and elk that it was better to leave them for folks who need them more than I do.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
Since I hunt archery, anything legal is what I'm after, but honestly I just want a MATURE buck, doesn't have to be huge, but I would love to shoot a 150" deer with my bow.  But you know darnwell if I have a decent 3 point in my sights I'm gonna pull the trigger... lol if I draw a late hunt then I'm going for a 4 point or a BIG 3.

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
Michael, we have to get you a 150" whitie!!!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 08:29:22 AM »
Generally its a mature animal that I have beaten in his own backyard using all my skills to do so.  Either whitie or muley.

Offline pacyew

• Hunter
  • Baggins
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »
Dream-wise, a nice  mature 4x4 Washington Muley, 145+ would be nice. If it's late in the season and my freezer contains no vension, any healthy cooperative deer is greatfully appreciated! :tup:
It's a great life if you don't weaken

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 10:54:49 AM »
It is a legal deer or elk with my bow. I do want to get a nice wall hanger. For me I like the meat so usually I motivated to shoots a legal animal so I can make summer sausage, Jerky and have grill some back straps...hmm  sounds good!

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 12:03:26 PM »
I'm with boneaddict, a mature animal that I have beaten on his own turf.  A 180+ buck is the ultimate goal though.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »
 I don't eat horns, indegestion  :puke:

I've primarily hunted blackies on the west side, so not quite as much opportunity for big racks there, which is OK by me. I agree a hard earned buck always makes it better. I always feel a little let down if I drop one two minutes in to opening day, I like to get out and hunt. I have missed a couple nice muleys in the 24-28" range and would like to have one nice muley for the wall some day, other than that, in Washington if it's legal, it will be on the BBQ -except for a special season tag. I will hold out for something mature when I draw a permit.

D

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 01:54:48 PM »
If it is legal it is in the freezer.  Ya can't realy be to picky like you can in the south.  If you want deer in the freezer than you take what you are given. 

Online Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 06:10:53 PM »
I also want a mature animal but will take any Elk I can get with my bow, I just love the meat. Mature bucks only, although I love deer vinison I just can't pull the trigger on my release if there are bigger bucks around.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]