collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toyota Tundra Timing Belt  (Read 32909 times)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Toyota Tundra Timing Belt
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
Any pros at the first generation Toyota Tundra? The 2UZ-FE 4.7L V8 is reputed to be a good engine but I can't get a single darned answer as to whether its an interference engine or not? Opinions are like a-holes on the internet and there's plenty of 'monster truck' forums where people have debated this very question.

I went so far as to call several dealerships and got mixed answers.  FWIW, I got a "YES, YES IT IS" type answer from some Toyota Service Advisors and the ones who said "No" were able to say that they've seen plenty of Tundras who have thrown the belt but there was no other damage to the engine head. To take it a step further I called Toyota Corporate and they wouldn't give me a definitive answer--only to say "we can't guarantee there wont be engine damage if the timing belt breaks."  :dunno:

Anybody had a timing belt in this engine break and can share their experience?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:08:50 PM by Bean Counter »

Offline Wa hunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Toyota Tundra (1st Gen) Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:15:25 PM »
I will be watching this one I have the same question.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
Yes, it is an interference motor. http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598 Look to the right of the parts listing there and you will see where it mentions it.

Did you break yours?
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:21:50 PM »
Toyota
TOYOTA

1.5L {53}
1.6L {53}
1.8L Diesel Replace Every 60,000 Miles
1.8L Gasoline {53}
2.0L {53}
2.2L Diesel Replace Every 60,000 Miles
2.2L Gasoline {53}
2.4L Diesel Replace Every 100,000 Miles
2.5L {37}
2.8L {37}
3.0L Inline 6 {53}
3.0L V6 {53}
3.3L Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 108 Months
3.4L {53}
4.7L (1998-2003) Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 72 Months
4.7L (2004-09) Replace Every 90,000 Miles Or 108 Months

Interference/non-interference

1.5L (1A-C, 3A-C & 3E) Interference
1.5L (3E-E & 5E-FE) Free-Wheeling
1.6L DOHC (4A-F & 4A-FE) Interference
1.6L DOHC (4A-GE & 4A-GZE) Free-Wheeling
1.6L SOHC Free-Wheeling
1.8L Diesel Interference
1.8L DOHC Gasoline Interference
2.0L Free-Wheeling
2.2L Diesel Interference
2.2L Gasoline Free-Wheeling
2.4L Diesel Interference
2.5L Free-Wheeling
2.8L Free-Wheeling
3.0L Inline 6 (Except 1998 2JZ-GE) Free-Wheeling
3.0L Inline 6 VVT-i (1998 2JZ-GE) Interference
3.0L V6 Free-Wheeling
3.3L V6 Free-Wheeling
3.4L Free-Wheeling
4.7L Interference

VVT-i - Variable Valve Timing With Intelligence

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »
Did you break yours?

Nope. Got a steller deal on an '03.  8)  $3K+ below book value. Has high high miles. Even if I replace the timing belt now it was still an awesome deal.

The problem is I don't know the maintenance history.  It was in great shape overall. The serpentine belt looks good, even the fluids in the differentials and transfer case are very fresh. Doesn't seem fitting that it wouldn't have had timing belts done. If I were told or convinced the belt had 90K+ miles on it, I'd go ahead and do it, but I dont' want to throw money away especially if I all I'd have to do is call AAA for a tow and there wouldn't be any engine damage.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
Did you break yours?

Nope. Got a steller deal on an '03.  8)  $3K+ below book value. Has high high miles. Even if I replace the timing belt now it was still an awesome deal.

The problem is I don't know the maintenance history.  It was in great shape overall. The serpentine belt looks good, even the fluids in the differentials and transfer case are very fresh. Doesn't seem fitting that it wouldn't have had timing belts done. If I were told or convinced the belt had 90K+ miles on it, I'd go ahead and do it, but I dont' want to throw money away especially if I all I'd have to do is call AAA for a tow and there wouldn't be any engine damage.

Supposely if the timing belt has been replaced they put a sticker somewhere next to the belt showing that it has been replaced.  May want to check there.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »

The problem is I don't know the maintenance history. 

I just picked up a used tacoma with over 90k on it, I did a full service on the truck, diffs, T-case, transmission fluid, timing belt, water pump, T-stat, idler and tensioner bearings and spark plugs.

The belt and water pump appeared to have been changed on mine but I did the whole job anyway, from the looks of things it was done prior to 90k and the truck now has 130k. The rear diff looked to have had it's fluid changed but the rest were nasty, the coolant was nasty and the spark plugs were heavily worn although the wires had been changed, the idler and tensioner bearings had NOT been changed, the idler bearing felt like it was full of sand too it was so bad.

That "maintenance" makes no sense to me but it's back on track now and I KNOW when it will be due for anything else, I would advise you to follow suit. I would hate to be out and about in the woods hunting or scouting and have the belt break and be stranded, no cell service in most places too. Toyota's are well known for their reliability but if you stop taking care of them they stop taking care of you.  :twocents:

Kudos on getting a Toyota truck for under book, most of the time you are lucky to get one for 3k over book.

FWIW I have changed many timing belts and I only stickered a few, if the shop had no stickers then the car/truck didn't get one, shop owners are notoriously cheap.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
I was also told its a zero clearance engine
I'm not the gambling type so I just had mine replaced about a week ago, better safe than sorry  :chuckle:. I felt like a was driving a bomb
and didn't know when it was going to blow   :yike:
I asked the Toyota technician that did my belt how many he has seen break? he said none on the 4.7l, he said the belts eventually
break down from wear and oils, and on start up the crank gear will spin inside the belt and smooth off the grooves.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 06:22:39 PM by Jason »

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
It's nearly always on start-up that a timing belt fails.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
I'm not the gambling type so I just had mine replaced about a week ago, better safe than sorry  :chuckle:. I felt like a was driving a bomb
I asked the Toyota technician that did my belt how many he has seen break? he said none on the 4.7l, he said the belts eventually
break down from wear and oils, and on start up the crank gear will spin inside the belt and smooth off the grooves.

How much was it to replace yours?  I have a 2000 with 79000 miles on it and getting ready to sell it and trying to determine if I should replace it before selling it or take some off the price for it not being replaced..  I know according to years it should have been replaced a couple years ago but oh well..

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 07:46:26 PM »
Did you break yours?

Supposely if the timing belt has been replaced they put a sticker somewhere next to the belt showing that it has been replaced.  May want to check there.

Yep, no sticker. As FC pointed out, I've heard this is often skipped.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

The problem is I don't know the maintenance history. 

I just picked up a used tacoma with over 90k on it, I did a full service on the truck, diffs, T-case, transmission fluid, timing belt, water pump, T-stat, idler and tensioner bearings and spark plugs.

The belt and water pump appeared to have been changed on mine but I did the whole job anyway, from the looks of things it was done prior to 90k and the truck now has 130k. The rear diff looked to have had it's fluid changed but the rest were nasty, the coolant was nasty and the spark plugs were heavily worn although the wires had been changed, the idler and tensioner bearings had NOT been changed, the idler bearing felt like it was full of sand too it was so bad.

That "maintenance" makes no sense to me but it's back on track now and I KNOW when it will be due for anything else, I would advise you to follow suit. I would hate to be out and about in the woods hunting or scouting and have the belt break and be stranded, no cell service in most places too. Toyota's are well known for their reliability but if you stop taking care of them they stop taking care of you.  :twocents:

Kudos on getting a Toyota truck for under book, most of the time you are lucky to get one for 3k over book.

I am 100% with this maintenance philosophy. The phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" wasn't necessarily coined for vehicles.

I would have been prepared to pay up to asking price ($1.5K more) but without any maintenance history, getting the kick @$$ deal I got was the only way to close the sale. I usually get at or above book value for my used vehicles I sell off because I always have a receipt folder documenting all scheduled maintenance.   ;)

I was thinking of having the belts/water pump done at the dealership but since they don't seem to have a straight answer AND they're more expensive I suppose I'll go back to the indie, Bob's Auto Repair type place. After I first bought it I took it into the shop with cash in hand to have several fluids flushed and the front brakes replaced. They showed me that 2/3 of the work I was about to pay them for didn't need to be done so I kinda feel they're more trust worthy than the Stealership. No offense to you honest Yoda cervix advisors. A belt doesn't seem like the most technical job that requires a dealers expertise, anyway.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »

How much was it to replace yours? 

I wanna know, too ???  thanks

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
Figure at $100 per hour...
Timing Belt
   Replace B 2.2 3.5
      NOTE
         To R&R Crankshaft Gear, Add B 0.3 0.4
         With AC, Add B 0.3 0.4
         To R&R Timing Belt Idler Pulley No.1, Add B 0.2 0.3
         To R&R Timing Belt Idler Pulley No.2, Add B 0.2 0.3
         To R&R Crankshaft Front Oil Seal, Add B 0.4 0.5

Use the 2nd labor time...the 1st one is supposed to be warranty time.
Timing belt shows to be about $55 from Toyota, put a water pump, tensioners, coolant and stuff. Probably another couple hundred bucks. I'd hit you at about $800-850+tax I bet.
I've never sold one so I have -0- experience but thats probably pretty close if you figure $100/hour by the labor time guide.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »

How much was it to replace yours?  I have a 2000 with 79000 miles on it and getting ready to sell it and trying to determine if I should replace it before selling it or take some off the price for it not being replaced..  I know according to years it should have been replaced a couple years ago but oh well..
$751 including tax, they replaced timing belt, drive belt, crank seals, water pump, coolant, I think thats it, also they used genuine Toyota parts.
They usually don't replace the tensioners on the first belt, they inspect them and replace if needed, they replace tensioners at 180k.
parts were $350, water pump $150, drive belt $85, Timing belt $56 and I can't remember the rest.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:29:40 PM by Jason »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter