collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Gobbler  (Read 15613 times)

Offline yelp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Spring Gobbler
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
I can't believe how worked up you all are getting over turkeys. I used to be, but not so much these days. I quit hunting them with a shotgun several years ago. Now I bowhunt for them. Anybody else archery hunting those crazy birds.

I've shot a ton of turkeys in my life, and the day I don't get excited about them is the day I'll be six feet under.  The only thing that gets me more excited is when I get the opportunity to call in a bird for a friend.  Helped my best friend John get his first ever Turkey, a nice Jake, last spring and it was one of the happiest moments I'd had in a long time.  Can't wait to get back over there in a couple months!

A ton of turkeys is about 100-120 birds..  WOW   :o  In this state?  LOL   :chuckle:

Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »
I use my standard whitetail/elk hunting bow for turkeys, its a martin. Maybe drop a few pounds off the draw weight. I prefer to use expandable broadheads because they fly straight and have a large cutting diameter. Another unique tactic I often use is treestands for turkeys. Oh Dahm, I am getting excited! Check out this Gobbler I got a few years back.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
HornHoarder,

Oh my word.  That looks like a beast.  I really want to get my son next to a bird of any size with a beard for the youth opener.  He has a bow and has been practicing a lot and I think if he gets the chance for a reasonable shot then he has a good chance at having success. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 08:53:53 AM »
HornHoarder, very nice bird!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
Niice looking bird and picture hornhoarder.....
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
I'd say the right bird to get mounted is one that means something to you. But, other then that, a bird with a 10" beard, one inch + spurs and a full fan is a darn good bird. My buddy had a hen mounted because it was so unique and it was money well spent.
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline TwoFeet

• Tracker
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 06:46:37 PM »
Holy Monster Gobbler!  Great pic HornHoarder!!  Never have taken one with my bow, but this could be the year.  Kudos to you man, I know how tough it must be to get to full draw on one of the eagle-eye buggers.

Yelp- I think I'd have to put myself in handcuffs and roll my sorry butt into the local law enforcement office if I'd literally shot 2000+ pounds of Gobbler.  Before I did that I'd post my location so every hunter could come open hand slap me across the face.   :)

Nice reading all your guys' posts.  I get pretty sick of all the rhetoric I hear during my daily travels throughout the Seattle area.  Nice to know there's still a bunch of good sportsmen out there.
Fair Chase and Clean Shots

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
I just measured five turkey fans on my wall and the biggest was 30". Sounds like you should have mounted that 31 incher.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:10 PM »

My spring plan is beginning to emerge.  I'm taking my son for the youth opener.  We'll get up early early Thursday morning in the dark and do a lot of driving so that we have most of Thursday and all Friday to scout.  Hunt on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm out to find a blind tomorrow and maybe even a couple of decoys.  I've been trying to go running every evening to start getting in shape this year.   I was pretty tired last year after doing just a small amount of hiking.  Pathetic.  Totally distracted these days with the hope of trying to get close enough to a spring gobbler.  I'm even considering blowing a week at one shot of my vacation to spend trying to get a bird this year.   

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
I have a local flock of 80-100 birds that frequent my property. Today I heard them Gobbling!! Its coming.... :IBCOOL:

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
I have a local flock of 80-100 birds that frequent my property. Today I heard them Gobbling!! Its coming.... :IBCOOL:

Since your name is HornHoarder..Is there any chance you don't hoard turkeys??  When we going?  LOL  Need any help..keeping them thinned down PM me.   :chuckle:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
There is some sort of formula for scoring turkeys. I don't remember what it is now. Seems like it involved, live weight, spur length and beard length. Some measurements were multiplied by a factor. Perhaps some one has it. The best bird to have mounted is the one that is special in meaning to you.

I shot one that I never weighted, but if I ever shot a 20 pound bird it was him (most weight 16-18 pounds). He had a 9.5 inch beard but had 1 3/16 inch long spurs. Old and tough. Meat ground and made into patties was very good.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
Operation Spring Gobbler has begun.  My blind was ordered yesterday.  Now a few more misc items and I'll be set.  I can't wait to hear those early morning gobbles.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
You can find the info for scoring birds @ www.nwtf.org website.

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
So my first bird had 9.5" beard, however the spurs were nubs.  My second bird had a 1.5" -2" beard, full fan (no jake feathers) and nubs for spurs.  Third bird was definitely a jake, but it to had a 2-3" beard and nubs for spurs. 

Do the spurs wear down in rocky areas?  Will beard hairs break if they freeze? 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]