collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: western washington blacktail hunting  (Read 25336 times)

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
western washington blacktail hunting
« on: January 22, 2011, 02:31:13 PM »
I have been hunting blacktails for 6 years now and have harvested a few smaller bucks. I have always dreamed of killing a monster BT and i've never had the chance to. I generally hunt the archery season just because of the longer season it allows. Also the amount of people who hunt the modern season is insane! Does anyone know of any good area to go for big bucks where I would be able to avoid the insane amount of people? Even if I have to walk in all day I would be willing to do it. If anyone has any tips or advice please let me know!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: western washington blacktail hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
Your best bet at a bt would be anywhere open during late October and November.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »
Are you talking sticking with archery? Or trying MF?

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
I am not sure right now to be honest. I got a buck this year with my bow ( small 2 pt ) but i would like to just get a chance at a big buck would my chances be better to hunt MF in the rut? or longer season with archery?

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
Instead of going way out in the deep woods what about concentrating your efforts closer to home on small parcels that people overlook or asking permission on private. If you are hunting with a bow you can hunt some areas that rifle hunters cannot go and find more bucks.

x2
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:35:20 PM »
I am not sure right now to be honest. I got a buck this year with my bow ( small 2 pt ) but i would like to just get a chance at a big buck would my chances be better to hunt MF in the rut? or longer season with archery?

Well it depends. With anything theres alot of variables. If you have limited time off, and average access to properties. I would say MF is your best bet. My experience is that, for the amount of time spent in the field per mature buck sightings; MF has it all over bow season. The last week in October, and late buck I would spend in the field. If you find areas closed to MF that hold good bucks you can hunt with archery tackle during a bucks most vulnerable time. If you decide to, their are some decent permits that give you alot more time in early november rut.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
What area of western washington are you hunting?
Here is this years little Blacktail Non Typical  6 x 3  :

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:18:24 PM »
I usually hunt the capital peak unit. or winston unit during elk season. I live 10 minutes from vail tree farm but hard to access in archery season

Offline Harold

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
ive only got one buck that wasst out of vail, think im gonna keep a close eye on this thread ;)
Life's a garden. Dig it.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
I usually hunt the capital peak unit. or winston unit during elk season. I live 10 minutes from vail tree farm but hard to access in archery season

Very hard to pull a monster out of the CF, but as I stated before, your best opportunity would be during October/November regardless of what weapon you choose. It also depends on your definition of a monster.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »
To get a mature blacktail buck during the washington archery seasons is dam near impossible IMO and to the few guys out there that have my hat is off to you (theres a few of you on here). Its extremely hard to get a big bt when hes not runnin around during the rut. And when the big ones arnt running around during the rut there laid back in there core area that theyve know there entire life, usually in the real thick stuff. Trying to sneak up on one of them and get an ethical shot with a bow in these areas is so hard because theres so many different variables when it comes to archery hunting. If you want to have a good chance at getting a nice bt on public ground hunt every day from oct. 24th through the 31st and every day during late buck of the firearm season.

Offline Dmanmastertracker

• Frontiersman
    • Flickr Photo Album
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
 If you have the willpower and means to get meat out from at least 3-4 miles behind gates, you shouldn't have any problem. The trick is getting a big deer out from that far back solo. It can be done, but to me it's the equivalent of many high buck hunts to get a bigger blacktail during modern season, unless you get lucky, which can happen as some have said to a higher percentage, hunting every day from mid-to late-season. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
I honestly find that modern firearm has the fewest numbers of people in the woods.  By far the most on the roads or even the edge of the road, but getting back in there aways get you in with the critters.

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:52:01 PM »
It is impossible to know every deer in the area you hunt out here, as said a couple times in this thread big bucks stay in the deepest thickest brush and they only appear out of there hiding spots when there hormones drive them out. If you hunt MF try calling and hunt were you seen does during your scouting trips. If your going to stay with archery set up food plots with good minerals, set up a couple trail cameras so you can see what kind of deer are in the area.Make sure you hunt every day you can even if it is nasty as hell out

And most importantly You cannot shoot a big buck if you shoot a small buck!!

Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:07:47 AM »
First and foremost:

You cannot shoot a big buck if you shoot a small buck!!

:yeah:

I've battled that for my entire hunting career to this point.  I've gotten to the point where I've taken enough BT's that next year will be the year I hold for a 3 point+. . . Could have this year, but I only had extended buck to hunt so I went 2 point minimum and got a 2xnontypical on Friday. I get so damn excited though when I see bucks I struggle with passing.

If you want to get out and get a one in the woods, spend all day glassing 10-15 year old reprod with openings in it.  That's where the big boys are at.  Of course during the rut they'll be anywhere there's a good number of does.  I've seen some great bucks during the first weeks of late archery but have always been on foot and couldn't close the distance.  I've always wanted to try treestands during late archery, but have just never had the time.  The time that I do have I feel like I need to press the issue a bit with limited days in the field.

I do know a few guys who shoot nice bucks every year on their back 40 coming into their orchards though, so if you want to go the private land and small parcel route that'd be the way to do it. 

Depends on what kind of a hunt you want. . . In their country, on their terms, in their habitat, 'wild' experience or back 40's, yard grown/fed deer, etc. The latter just isn't my thing.  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]