collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2008 Regs are out!  (Read 13848 times)

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2008 Regs are out!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
Before this state went to points the number of applications was WAY less than what it is now for ALL species.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 08:37:27 AM »
 :yeah:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 08:46:01 AM »
Before this state went to points the number of applications was WAY less than what it is now for ALL species.
Before this state went to points less people in general were interested in putting in for the big 3.  Putting in for tags and collecting points has become the cool thing to do  :bash:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 08:47:30 AM »
the expensive thing to do.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
the expensive thing to do.

It's no more expensive than just applying for the tags without ever getting drawn.  Points are at least a way to "feel" like you are getting something for your dollar where at least you aren't getting any farther behind other applicants as long as you keep applying.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »
I should clarify something.  Don't get me wrong, I understand the inherent evils of bonus points, but at the same time, I don't want to lose my gains thus far in WA.  I look at it this way: if there were no points with moose and I'm applying for a unit with 12,000 applicants, I would have way less of a chance of getting drawn than I have now.  At least now I'm getting something.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:22 AM »
]Let me explain to you why its more expensive.   Pick Nevada for instance.  I have no desire to go hunt there this fall particularly, but in order to stay in the race and be able to do it 5 years from now, I have to buy a $150 license, plus tags for each animal….$10 each I think in order to get a point.   Arizona, same thing.  I have to apply for about 15 years before there is a remote chance in hell to be drawn.  That’s $200 for the license plus tag fees and all the convienence fees etc that go along with it.    This year I drew Montana elk.  I have no desire to hunt in NM as I did it last year, and I want to put my efforts into Montana.  Because it’s a no point system, I do not have to apply this year.  I do not have to buy a license (non –refundable one) and I do not have to put in for the elk tag.  I can eait until next year or the year after.  Does that make sense.   For Colorado, I have to front $3000 but am not even eligible to draw for 3 years.  You get most of that back fortunately, but you do have someone else holding onto your money for several months.  Wyoming, I want to hunt moose and sheep.  I have to stay in the points race to even have a shot at being drawn.  Its $100 for the sheep point and $75 for the moose point.  Every year it goes up and you can’t just say heck with it as you have invested plenty……..

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:29 AM »
Bone did you not put in for Utah?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:11 AM »
Well, if you don't like the point system in WA, you can just put in for the raffles.  It's essentially the same chances of getting drawn minus the effects of points.   :P

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
I dont think point systems are sustainable into the future........If someone is born today and wants to hunt the strip in AZ or a top Colorado unit for mule deer or elk it is mathematically impossible  with point creep for them to get a tag in the next 70 years...............things will have to change.

Point systems were designed for hunters in there 40-50's to have a chance at a great tag before they can no longer hunt and that has crated a situation where people who did not start applying until recently have an almost impossible disadvantage because of the back log of points at the top of the list.

Id love for a single nationalized draw system with no points but it will never happen.........just think of all the apps every year that are out there because someone does not want to fall behind the point curve.......especially when one point could mean a 10 year difference in drawing a tag.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
Yea but do you honestly think that those people who have built up points would realistically be willing to give up their points(and in some cases where you had to buy points or a non resident hunting lisc) to start from scratch with everyone else?
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2008, 10:18:12 AM »
Yea but do you honestly think that those people who have built up points would realistically be willing to give up their points(and in some cases where you had to buy points or a non resident hunting lisc) to start from scratch with everyone else?

Nope, it's an endless, vicious cycle!  The best they could do is stop issuing points, and then wait until everyone has used their points up.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2008, 10:21:16 AM »
exactly!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
I applied for Utah....jsut another example of a non-refundable license and that cute little point.   !0 more years I might have a shot to hunt once, then I can try for elk and when I am 60 can possibly hunt again. :)

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:26 AM »
It really is a matter of fund management.  Right now I can only afford to apply for Washington, so that's all I do.  This year I will apply for all five species (6 if you count bear) and buy one raffle ticket per species.  Once I am out of college and have begun a full time career I hope to apply for deer and elk in CO, sheep, moose, and goat in MT, and all the species in UT.  I will also continue to establish productive hunting spots in Washington.  That way I am only buying one non-refundable license and I am really applying for a smorgasboard of species.  Hopefully it will eventually pay off in the future. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal