collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Klickitat?  (Read 12571 times)

Offline wackmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Klickitat?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »
I hunted by the klick last year and shot a nice bird.Klickriverchome called one in for me it was my year to shoot first.There will be a lot of people on the public land but the further you walk in the less people.If you don't have good luck the first week or two don't give up.A lot of people only hunt the first weekend and give up.The last 2 weeks the tom start running out of hot hens and the go into a frantic search for love and a susceptible to calls it is not like on TV you have to work for them.Good luck
Get outdoors and enjoy life

Offline dawei

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »
where to even start with the turkey's.  there are lots of places and there are some good places.  i know of several due to lots of time in the area. pm me for specifics
PM sent
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline Buckshot Bill

• Scout
  • Just a YARnaby
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:58:23 AM »
Just know that some of the land down there is not posted or not well posted so be aware of where you are.  Good people around that area.  Most will have no problem with you coming and asking.  They may not let you hunt but they are kind about it.  Unlike a lot of westsiders I've gone and asked.  One of the doors you might be knocking on might be Buzz Ramsey's house.  My parents lived just above his place.  Good man to talk to.  He and his family are great people.  Good luck and enjoy yourself down there.

Offline dawei

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 09:03:43 AM »
KRC I got your PM & replied; thanks for all your help! (Hope to see you down there!)
David

1. Jesus Christ

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline klickriverchromer

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
Just know that some of the land down there is not posted or not well posted so be aware of where you are.  Good people around that area.  Most will have no problem with you coming and asking.  They may not let you hunt but they are kind about it.  Unlike a lot of westsiders I've gone and asked.  One of the doors you might be knocking on might be Buzz Ramsey's house.  My parents lived just above his place.  Good man to talk to.  He and his family are great people.  Good luck and enjoy yourself down there.

I'll second that about Buzz!!!!
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

Offline dawei

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
Time for an update: I hunted all over the Klickitat Wildlife Management Area Tue-Fri, 04/15-04/18. (I had zero success getting permission to hunt on any private land; despite being a disabled veteran & having a WDFW Disabled Hunter Placard in my vehicle.) I hunted off Soda Springs Road, Klickitat River Breaks Road, & the old Klickitat River Road behind Leidl Park. I tried all of my locator calls, & every turkey call in my arsenal; to no avail. I heard not a single yelp or gobble in four days of hard hunting. Every hunter I encountered (11) experience was similar to mine; nada. I talked extensively to the KWMA Biologist & the WDFW Enforcement Officer. Their take was:

• The winter was extemely hard on area wildlife. (I found numerous winter kill deer)
• Turkeys migrated to far lower elevations in the Klickitat River Valley.
• Both felt turkeys would migrate back up the valley with warmer weather & greenup.

For now I'll pursue Easterns in the Skookumchuck Valley. I'll try Klickitat again the second or third week in May; maybe then I can tag a Merriams Gobbler. I'll keep you posted.
David

1. Jesus Christ

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline coastalghost

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
Thanks for the update.....great information for me as I usually hunt the Klickitat for turks. 
Vegetarians?..Vegetarians are cool.  All I eat are vegetarians....except for the occasional mtn. lion steak.

Offline taylorpz

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 09:36:06 PM »
I've had same experience in Klickitat.  Been working Soda Springs and Breaks in the WDFW area.  Got one single gobble on 4/16, almost all the way down by the river, then nothing else.  Last week, saw a couple toms trotting down the road but couldn't get them interested.  Heard a couple gobbles just before dusk but couldn't get anything going next morning.  Went out today and didn't see or hear a darn thing.  Think I'm just going to wait a couple more weeks so that I quit spending my gas money. 

Be curious to see if anyone has actually had any success in Kilickitat to date?

Offline dawei

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 01:26:53 PM »
I've had same experience in Klickitat.  Been working Soda Springs and Breaks in the WDFW area.  Got one single gobble on 4/16, almost all the way down by the river, then nothing else.  Last week, saw a couple toms trotting down the road but couldn't get them interested.  Heard a couple gobbles just before dusk but couldn't get anything going next morning.  Went out today and didn't see or hear a darn thing.  Think I'm just going to wait a couple more weeks so that I quit spending my gas money. 

Be curious to see if anyone has actually had any success in Kilickitat to date?
Me too!
David

1. Jesus Christ

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline Jerbear

• Sourdough
  • Y.A.R. MEMBER
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
For those of you that hunt down Soda Springs Road, stop by.  My house is the second place on the right.  Have a red barn.  If you need water and we are not home. help youself.  There is a frost free by the barn.  Anyway stop by.  It is raining off and on today.  I am going to start hunting next week.  Have killed turks on the opening days several times.  Not the last two years.  We had 11 deer walk across our lawn this morning.  One was a very nice 3 point.  Yep.  Still had his rack.  Go figure.

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
Jerbear i have never turkey hunted but the buck i have in my gallery was shot not to far from your place.

Most of the turkeys i have seen while out deer hunting have been over out of willard.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal