collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2007 toutle/marg. tags grrrr!  (Read 12607 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: 2007 toutle/marg. tags grrrr!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:57:10 PM »
Unless you have little points and your partners have lots, the better odds of being drawn go to the single apps. Especially if there is a small amount of permits and alot of people applying.

Yep. My bro and I put down the same 3 choices, but we applied separately. Our first choice only has 26 tags...if you were to apply for that hunt with a group of 12, you'd really be hurting your chance of drawing. Just think, during the drawing process, once the first 15 tags for that hunt are gone, and there are only 11 tags left, your party has zero chance of drawing. If your group's number came up, and there are only 11 tags, you will get passed over for that hunt, and they will then look at your next choice. For a group that large your best bet would be to apply for hunts that have the most permits. I'd look at ones that have over 100. Or, consider splitting your group of 12 into 4 groups of 3. That will help your odds a lot, and if only 3 guys draw, you could all still go along on the hunt just as helpers. I have just as much fun when I am "hunting" without a tag.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 06:13:22 AM »
Unless you have little points and your partners have lots, the better odds of being drawn go to the single apps. Especially if there is a small amount of permits and alot of people applying.

Yep. My bro and I put down the same 3 choices, but we applied separately. Our first choice only has 26 tags...if you were to apply for that hunt with a group of 12, you'd really be hurting your chance of drawing. Just think, during the drawing process, once the first 15 tags for that hunt are gone, and there are only 11 tags left, your party has zero chance of drawing. If your group's number came up, and there are only 11 tags, you will get passed over for that hunt, and they will then look at your next choice. For a group that large your best bet would be to apply for hunts that have the most permits. I'd look at ones that have over 100. Or, consider splitting your group of 12 into 4 groups of 3. That will help your odds a lot, and if only 3 guys draw, you could all still go along on the hunt just as helpers. I have just as much fun when I am "hunting" without a tag.

That is exactly what I WANTED to post, but just didn't have time. If I remember correctly you and I also judge our odds the same. Didn't I see a bunch of penciled in numbers in the permit section of your regs one time? LOL

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »
I have 9 points, brother in law has 9 points and we put in seperatly...
I hope we do not get drawn in the same year...
Back to back years him then me or vice versa would be excellent...
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 08:59:16 PM »
Funkster, I think you may have read something wrong. When you put in for a group they average the points for all the group then square them.  So if you had 4 and a buddy had 2 then the average would be 3.  Square that and the group would have 9 chances.  Individually you would have had 16 and your buddy 4.  Otherwise it would not be fair to individuals that apply.

I called the wdfw and spoke with them for about 45 min and that is what she told me. From what I have heard the system isn't very fair. She said that the weighted points account for 75% of the permits that are drawn and the other 25% is just luck of the draw.  Maybe I'am not seeing what you all are trying to tell me but from what they said,thats how they do it. If you could shed so more light all info is welcome!!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 10:10:51 PM »
The system is as fair as can be expected. The number of points you have is squared and that is how many chances you have in the drawing. I don't know where they came up with that 75% and 25%. That almost sounds like Oregon. You can find information on their website that explains how it works. I wouldn't necessarily rely on a clerk who happened to answer the phone when you called. Try looking here:

www.wdfw.wa.gov

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 06:36:49 AM »
The system is as fair as can be expected. The number of points you have is squared and that is how many chances you have in the drawing. I don't know where they came up with that 75% and 25%. That almost sounds like Oregon. You can find information on their website that explains how it works. I wouldn't necessarily rely on a clerk who happened to answer the phone when you called. Try looking here:

www.wdfw.wa.gov

Bob, I wonder if the clerk ment that only 75% are squared (weighted)? I seem to remember that not all of the permit points are multiplied.

I agree about not relying on a clerk. They are typically Office Assistants in an entry level job, many times looking for an "in" with the state and not really knowledgeable about hunting.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 07:24:59 AM »
Hey guys,
All of the permit points are squared and it is true if you put in as a group they add up all points then average them out then square them.Say one guy has 1 point other has 9 =10 divided buy 2 = 5 squared =25 times in the barrel
jim
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »
Rackattack was right! I found this question and answer on WDFW website.

Q: What if I apply in a group and we have a different number of points built up? Whose points are used?
A: On group applications, the points of all of the applicants are averaged and the average is used in the drawing for that application. If the first group member has two points and the second one has six, then four points are used for the drawing. If the first member has one point, the second member has two, and a third member has four, then two points are used in the drawing for that application. The averaged points are rounded to the nearest whole number.

Q: What happens if a group application comes up and there are fewer permits left than there are members in the group?
A: If there are fewer permits left for a hunt than there are members in a group whose application is drawn, none of the applicants on that application are awarded a permit. The drawing continues until either an Individual Application or a Group Application with fewer members is drawn for that hunt. This is the way it was done when the drawing was actually done using barrels and cards. It is not possible to award more permits for a hunt than what is allowed by the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

It's great to know that there are informed hunters on this site. Thanks guys!

If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10