collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WWOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO  (Read 21467 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: WWOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 01:24:56 PM »
I know 9 is awesome, so 8 shouldn't be too bad.  That will be a different hunt for you.  I think its more desert.  I am really hoping for some screaming bulls.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »
We had a 7-day season, and we were there for 6 of the days.  The bugling was entirely weather dependent.  Other than a few hours of quiet in the heat of the day, they'd pretty much bugle all day and night if it wasn't raining or windy.  Had a couple wake us up one night within 100 yards of our tents.  We had one windy day and one rainy day - didn't hear much either day.  To me, that's the scary part of a 5-day season.  If you get screwed by the weather a few of the days, and the elk shut up and bed down in heavy cover, you might only get a day or two of really good hunting.  But if it's nice out and the bulls are bugling, you shouldn't have a problem getting close to a 300" bull.  Obviously, getting into bow range and having/making a good shot is another story, but you should get your chances.  Pray for good weather!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
Thats exactly what I was worried about with a 5 day season.  Not much leeway if the weather isn't cooperating and in a 5 day stretch, it can be one thing or the other.  All I can do is hope.  I understand where I am going is pretty thick.  i figured it wouldbe pretty open and desert like, but I guess 16D is the most rugged part of NM.  Again, I am looking forward to alot of screaming.  I hope the area is big enough that 40 guys screaming and cow calling doesn't screw it up.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
Ahh, I'd still give anything for those five days.  Add in three days of scouting, and you're in for an incredible trip.  I'm really jealous.  And don't let the monsoon rains get you down right before your hunt.  Last year, it rained basically every day in August and the first two weeks of September.  Roads were washed out (or closed) all over the place.  But the monsoons should be gone by the time you're there, leaving the hillsides nice and quiet from the rain for the third hunt.  Hence why the late hunt is the hardest to draw.  Can't wait for you to get down there and give us the report!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 06:09:04 AM »
All the reports are that they are getting plenty of rain this spring as well.  That means lots of antler growth.  (Hopefully no fire issues as well.)

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2007, 09:41:57 PM »
Congrats on the tag, You drew my first choice! Oh well next year. The southwest hasn't been good to me yet. I'm a loser in UT, AZ and NM. One of these years.

I don't know if your a member of Huntinfool but if you are Garth will send you a list of other members that have drawn the same tag and info might be shared hunter to hunter. 

My buddy drew 16b last year first season, they had a crate shipped DHL with all their gear and then flew down, rented an suv and had a good hunt.

I talked to a ranch in 16d a few years back that would pick me up at the airport in Alburqueque, bunk me at their ranch, feed me and drive me out to hunt for the day on public ground. The ranch is like a dude ranch but they offered this too me 7 or 8 years ago. The hunting on the ranch was high dollar, but it seemed like they would do airport pickup, food, lodging and drive me out and drop me off for the day and pick me up in the evening for around $800.  Not bad when you factor in food, lodging and car rental for a week.

http://www.nbarranch.com/

I don't if they are still offering this.  Good luck on the hunt!
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2007, 02:49:56 AM »
Thank you for the link.  If nothing else, might be a good place to pick up some info.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
I found a good link to maps if interested in hunting out of state.  You can buy forest maps, BLM maps etc.
http://plicmapcenter.org/

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg