collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: savage axis in 25-06  (Read 22817 times)

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
savage axis in 25-06
« on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
i'm buying a new rifle,  and i've been tooking at the savage axis in 25-06,   what do you guys think about these rifles,  i know savage makes great rifles, (i owned several)  but never had experience with the axis,    the reason i want this gun in paticular is because its cheap,  $250  and i don't want to spend too much money,

oh,  and what do you guys think of this caliber?  i want to use the gun for everything from yotes to elk/bear.  or should i go up to .270?  i want something that shoots a little flatter than a 30-06. 
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Re: savage axis in 25-06
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »
.25 will kill anything but i would call it a little light. .270 is a little better. Staying out of the big mags I don't think there is a better "all around" rifle out there than a 30/06. :twocents:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 10:09:40 AM by JIMKD8 »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:05:48 AM »
I know nothing of the savage axis, other than the gun rags have given it good reviews.  I do however own a 25-06 and loaded with proper bullets, I'd shoot a bear or elk with it.  Would I specifically buy it as a gun to take bear and elk hunting, no I would not.  But then again I would not buy a 270win as my caliber to specifically go bear and elk hunting with either.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16:16 AM »
My only complaint against the Axis is it's non-adjustable trigger that is a bit on the stiff side, besides that they are great and I really don't think you can do better for the $$$.
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:19:48 AM »
I've been looking into the same thing, I tried to order the Mossberg 4x4 in 25-06. It has also gotten great reviews. It comes with a 24in stainless fluted barrel with the marincoat finish. And a muzzle brake, and adjustable trigger. The catalog at wal-mart showed $379, $408 with tax. But I guess their distributer cannot get one right now. So now i'm looking into the Savage's. Also the weatherby vanguard in .257. Let me know if you order one.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »
Also the weatherby vanguard in .257. Let me know if you order one.

Be aware of the cost of ammo if you go the .257 Roy route if that is an issue for you...70-80 bux a box of 20.  :yike:

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »

Be aware of the cost of ammo if you go the .257 Roy route if that is an issue for you...70-80 bux a box of 20.  :yike:

wow!!!! :yike:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline BlackRidge

• Mmm tag soup..
  • Sourdough
  • WildGame Deterrent
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
I was looking at the same rifle this weekend, the price was definitely right

Savage makes some d*mn good rifles, especially considering the quality you get for the price. If you're looking at the .270 as another option, I'd definitely go with that. Ammo is cheaper than the 25-06 (from what I've seen), you'l have more options for ammo as its a fairly popular cal, and you get a little more weight/power behind that round.

I'd definitely feel more confortable using a .270 on deer/bear than a 25-06
Theres plenty of room for all of gods animals.... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »

I had no idea!! I have a .270, and a .338, so a 25-06 is also what i'm after. I want a nice flat deer gun, that my wife and son can use.

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:53 AM »
.257 WBY is also a pretty decent kicker, especially for the size.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
so...  please someone educate me on trajectory/velocity/ and impact of a 25-06 vs a .270 win.   :)

wich one is flatter and more impact at further range?

factory ammo.   :o

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 11:41:44 AM »
so...  please someone educate me on trajectory/velocity/ and impact of a 25-06 vs a .270 win.   :)

They are within an inch or so of drop at 275 yards using a 200 yard zero, velocity favors the 25-06. What one will do so will the other, 25-06 will be a little easier to hit with due to higher velocity, ammunition prices favor the 270.
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
.257 WBY is also a pretty decent kicker, especially for the size.

Those Weatherby magnums have a different kind of kick to them. I had a .257 weatherby, I have a .300 win mag and a .338 win mag. The weatherby's have a snappy kind of kick where the Win mags kind of push you. I love the caliber and would love to have one again...shoulda never traded it off. That is an impressive caliber for sure but at the cost of ammo, not something you're gonna want to spend time plinking with. Being a reloader may help with the cost I guess.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »

Not enough difference to worry about. How far are you planning on shooting?

Offline BIGINNER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
not much past 300 yards

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal