collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to cook bear steaks?  (Read 29347 times)

Offline HuntNFish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
How to cook bear steaks?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »
I traded 4 of my Elk steaks for 4 bear steaks this evening with a friend.  He gave me some tips, but nothing sounded tasty.  Any suggestions or recommendations on how to cook bear steaks.  They were cut from a roast.  Thanks.

Brian

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
Re: How to cook bear steaks?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
I would trade them for elk steaks.  :chuckle: :chuckle: Sorry, never really cared for bear steaks but I'm sure it is how I prepared them.
Just one more day

Offline alwinearcher

• Unit 204
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »
HAHAHA!
I dont know if I would call him a friend after that business transaction. :chuckle:
I can see a bumper sticker coming out of this

"Friends dont let friends eat bear steaks"  :twocents:
Matt Alwine

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:11:51 AM »
 :yeah:
I would trade them for elk steaks.  :chuckle: :chuckle: Sorry, never really cared for bear steaks but I'm sure it is how I prepared them.

:yeah:
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline Jekemi

• JEKEMI2005
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Deer beside me
    • jekemi2005
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:48:58 AM »
Bear is a meat best left in the primal cut; top round, shoulder, shank, botton round, etc. It does not lend itself well to the grilling process. In general steaks should be aged a bit to reduce moisture content,  seasoned well, and grilled over a very hot fire to a medium-rare This caramelizes the sugars and concentrate the flavors. Since bear meat has little fat and its flavor tends to be stronger than other game meats grilling steaks is not the best method of cooking.

Braising meat: I would season the steaks and dust in flour. Brown them well, over high heat in oil and remove from the pan. Immediately add aromatic vegetables such as carrots, celery, and onions and brown them a little. Add red wide to deglaze the pan and return the steaks to the pan. Season with a bay leaf and add additional beef stock. Cover the pot and braise for up to 2 hours until the meat is falling-apart tender. Thicken the sauce with a medium roux, adjust the seasoning, and finish the sauce by whisking in a couple tablespoons of butter. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, crusty french bread, and a sturdy red wine or dark ale. This way you will enjoy the bear meat rather than curse it. For more great wild game recipes go to my site: www.wildgamefeast.blogspot.com
Warning! Do not elect politicians who don't support the 2nd Amendment as the Constitutional framers intended - There are no Collective Rights in the Bill of Rights. America is about Individual Freedoms, not collectivism!

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:28 AM »
We love bear steaks in this house.

Here is a simple way to enjoy your bear steak. Get everything else for dinner ready to serve. Trim your steaks of all fat or sinew. You may end up with a bunch of smaller medallions of meat rather than a large steak, this is normal.  Get your skillet hot, coat with enough quality olive oil that you can roll it around in the pan. Pan fry your bear steak in the oil with some black pepper until lightly browned at the edges. Watch the smaller pieces and pull these earlier than your larger pieces. Cut one open to view inside, remove from the heat just as the last pink is starting to fade....

Enjoy.

Elk is great, but bear is also great, don't let the guys who cant cook spoil it for you!   :EAT:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »
I traded 4 of my Elk steaks for 4 bear steaks this evening with a friend.  He gave me some tips, but nothing sounded tasty.  Any suggestions or recommendations on how to cook bear steaks.  They were cut from a roast.  Thanks.

Brian

I agree with Iceman.
But it also depends on how thick the steaks are. If they are thick then throw them in the slow cooker.
I eat a lot of bear meat and the slow cooker is my favorite way to cook it. Bear has great flavor, but it often too chewey if not cooked right.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:16:57 AM »
Thanks Willy, I forgot to add that we do cut our bear to about 5/8" thick.... Very tru that  larger pieces can be tougher... Occasionally I use the meat mallet to thin a steak or two if they seem to tall...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
pound the steak,season it the way you like it...dust in flour,then fry like chicken..Drain oil and add cream of mushroom soup to the pan,sprinkle with some paprika,cover and simmer till tender..Garlic mashed and green beans ummm umm good

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:49:58 AM »
the simplest way to cook bear, deer and elk is to take a gallon size ziplock bag and put your steaks in there and add enough pancake mix to give a good coating add johnys, montreal steak seasoning and fresh chopped garlic zip it closed and shake til its covered good set that aside, fry up a pound or so of bacon, drain off grease in to a bowl, put a good scoop of butter in the pan let it melt and add a couple table spoons off bacon grease start adding cuts of meat, let them cook on medium heat until the blood turns a light pink and then flip for about 2 to 3 minutes and then its done, in the meantime i always fry up some taters the same way i do my meat, you will want to eat the bear meat when it is piping hot, the best combo is a bite of bacon a bite of taters and a bite of meat at the same time, its unbelievable my family has cooked all wild meat this way for ever, if the meat is old and tougher pound it out and soak in milk for 24 hours and cook as recomended
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »
No matter what anyone tells you, COOK IT WELL DONE   ;)

Bear can carry trichenosis (spelling?) which a University of Montana study found 14% of the bear they checked were infected. I remember a guy in Ione, WA took some jerky that was not cooked well enough to work and about a dozen people were infected.

It's always nice to try something new, like any meat, bear can be good. I like a roast slow cooked with lots of seasoning (including garlic and onions) for about 6 hours.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 07:26:50 AM »
Chops.  Not steaks.   :chuckle:

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »
How do you guys feel about bear burger? Or ground in butchers terms?

My wife and 18 month old daughter love ground venison, in the form of meatballs, hamburger helper, and chili meat.  But they wont touch the chops. 

I'm confident i'm gonna get my first bear this year and was debating on how to have my meat done up. I'm leaning towards gettting the majority back in ground and only a few choice chops back since it seems to best fit my families needs. But i've never had ground bear ...  Thoughts???
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline junkyard

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
Ground bear is awesome. We use it in spaghetti, chili, etc.

Offline Jekemi

• JEKEMI2005
  • Longhunter
  • Deer beside me
    • jekemi2005
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
There have only been six recorded cases of Trichnosis in the last 27 years with the most recent being in 2007 when a hunter got thricnosis from eating raw cougar meat. People rarely get trichnosis from pig meat since it became illegal to feed pigs garbage. They can only be fed "pig food."
Warning! Do not elect politicians who don't support the 2nd Amendment as the Constitutional framers intended - There are no Collective Rights in the Bill of Rights. America is about Individual Freedoms, not collectivism!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]