collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muskrat Love?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Muskrat Love?
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110302/LIFE05/103020309/Muskrat-love-?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CHome%7Cp

It's that time of year. The yellow muskrat flag has been flying outside Bill's Meat Center, 215 N. King St. in Wilmington. Three fresh muskrats can be had for $10.

In Delaware, the muskrat trapping season begins in December and ends later this month.

The flag wasn't flying Tuesday, but that's only because the shop sold all of its muskrat -- locally trapped near Odessa -- last Saturday.

That's right. Sold out.

"People just love it," says John Assini Jr., whose father John Sr. owns Bill's Meat Center. "It always sells out. If I could stock my store with it all year, I'd be a millionaire."

Assini has never tasted muskrat and doesn't plan to do so anytime soon. "I've heard it tastes like chicken. Personally, I'll take chicken."

I have eaten muskrat before -- not from Bill's -- and, well, let's just say it's an acquired taste. The flavor tends to linger long after you swallow. Muskrat's taste has been compared to everything from duck (not even close, in my opinion) to gamy-tasting roast beef (that's probably a little closer to how I would describe it, though with more chew.)

Assini says the flag should be flying again soon. He's expecting another muskrat delivery, maybe even today. Call the store at 658-7701. There's usually a waiting list.

The muskrat is skinned, gutted and filleted. And the squeamish should know that it comes with the head on. "That's so you can identify it," Assini says.

Or you could just get your photo snapped next to Bill's muskrat sign. That's what lots of people do.

"I've had people from New York jump out of their cars," Assini says. "They can't believe what they're seeing. They didn't even know that people ate muskrat. They think it's something exotic. A lot of people have their pictures taken next to the flag and the sign."

While muskrat has fed past generations, changing diets and eating habits have made it an heirloom meat or culinary curiosity, if you will, that now has about the same appeal for modern diners as terrapin, opossum or even shad roe.

As one muskrat eater once told me: "This is not a young kid's delight."

If you're looking for a taste but don't want to cook it, head to Smyrna.

The Wagon Wheel Restaurant (110 S. Du Pont Highway; 653-1457) cooks and serves the aquatic rodent every Thursday night beginning at 3 p.m. Seasonal muskrat dinners have been a Wagon Wheel tradition for nearly 40 years.

A $15.95 platter includes 1 1/2 parboiled and fried muskrats, along with a heaping of fried potatoes, stewed tomatoes and a thick hunk of cornbread.

Season's eatings, folks.

Bruce Vandervort

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Muskrat Love?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
Red neck delight!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
nix on that..no hair on the tail no eat

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:47:53 AM »
They always eat better when there is no hair on the tail!  ;)
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NWWABOWHNTR

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
They always eat better when there is no hair on the tail!  ;)

LOL Well I grew up for the most part in Northern Ohio, right on Lake Erie. My families land also had a huge marsh on it.. so we trapped muskrat and for those of you who have not tried it, my mom always slow cooked it with potatoes, carrots, onions etc just like a stew.  It really is good eating.  My older brothers favorite part was cracking the skull open and eating the brain.  Never got into that myself...  Of course I come from a family that ate pretty much everything we could kiill.. raccoon, woodchuck, muskrat, of course rabbit and deer.... My Mom used to call Muskrat, marsh rabbit... LOL  maybe a way to get the "rat" out of the name?
"Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]