collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: sage rats  (Read 19783 times)

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: sage rats
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
What is a sage rat? Pic?
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »
Wise democrat. Which is an oxymoron. Or is it just moron? :chuckle:
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
Why is it so hard to get permission here in Wa but so much easier in Or?

Because Oregon is such a liberal state.......... :chuckle: We have sage rats all over in the woods here. Just drive around and look for slash piles.  :mgun:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BackwoodsSniper

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 09:53:05 AM »
Washington suffers from a long history of people screwing things up for future generations.   :bash:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
Washington suffers from a long history of people screwing things up for future generations.   :bash:
[/quo

Politicians, greenies, Forest Circus are having a friggin' hayday, plus everybody else who likes to screw up the future up.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline raevan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »
For those who don't know what a sage rat is, it is a ground squirrel.e are variious species in Washington State. The only species of ground squirrel legal to shoot in Washington is the "California ground squirrel", commonly known as the "Graydigger" in Oregon. The "California Ground Squirrel is an invasive Species in Washington. You must be able to Identify it, all other species of ground squirrels in Washington state are protected.

California ground squirrels are found in Washington around The Yakima area and south towards Oregon.

The ground squirrels found in the northern part of the state, for example, near kettle fals and the canadian border are Washington ground squirrels and are a protected species.

Again I say, be sure to positively Identify the squirrel You are hunting, shooting a protected species or one on the endangered species list can cost you a large fine.

There are only 3 types of Squirrels you can hunt in Washington. Eastern Gray, Eastern Fox, and California Ground. 

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
What are the "Belding's Ground Squirrels"?  I thought that was the species we can shoot? 

Don't know as I'm still waiting to go.  Putting together another 10/22 right now!
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline Clumber

• Comedy Clumber Spaniels HUNT!
  • Hunter
  • Comedy Clumber Spaniels HUNT!
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
I hadn't heard of a sage rat previously either, but found this :  http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_squirrel/

Compares different squirrels here in Washington plus shows their ranges.
Tracy & Jeni Saulino
Rochester, Washington
Comedy Clumber Spaniels
* Beauty * Bird Dogs * Best Friends
with dual-ring Clumbers Jubilee ; Briggs ; Stella ; Ramona; and new puppy P!nk!  As well as our dual-ring oddball English Cocker, Gambel!

Offline raevan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
The Belding ground squirrel is found in North eastern Oregon, South western Idaho, parts of Utah, and in california. It is the one that was given the name of Sage Rat.

The California Ground Squirrel, Graydigger is the one that is in Washington from Ellensburg south on the East side.

There may be Beldings in Washington but none of the maps I have found don't show the Belding to have crossed over from Oregon.

Offline CastleRocker

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
I don't know exactly what kind of rats we are going after, but I'm going to find out.  We are going to be Southeast of Klamath Falls, and then will be "hunting" our way back up through Christmas Valley on the way home. 

I looked at the WDFW squirrel map, and it doesn't show anything but red squirrels up around the Spokane area, but there are a LOT of ground squirrels there.  In fact there was a big "to-do" about the killing of them at Riverside Park in dowtown Spokane a few years ago.  I think the park employees were using a "Rodenator" and the squirrel huggers didn't like it.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
For those who don't know what a sage rat is, it is a ground squirrel.e are variious species in Washington State. The only species of ground squirrel legal to shoot in Washington is the "California ground squirrel", commonly known as the "Graydigger" in Oregon. The "California Ground Squirrel is an invasive Species in Washington. You must be able to Identify it, all other species of ground squirrels in Washington state are protected.

California ground squirrels are found in Washington around The Yakima area and south towards Oregon.

The ground squirrels found in the northern part of the state, for example, near kettle fals and the canadian border are Washington ground squirrels and are a protected species.

Again I say, be sure to positively Identify the squirrel You are hunting, shooting a protected species or one on the endangered species list can cost you a large fine.

There are only 3 types of Squirrels you can hunt in Washington. Eastern Gray, Eastern Fox, and California Ground.
Sure about this? The washington ground squirrels are mostly in the shrubbstep areas/columbia plateau (ie: like the seep lakes area) and yes protected, but you  forgot the columbian ground squirrel which is more north/north east, (ie: the ones that spokane was blowing up in the parks)..dont see them on the protected list..
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 03:51:22 PM »
The Columbian ground squirrel can be found in Canada in eastern British Columbia and Western Alberta. In the United States, it can be found in eastern Oregon and Washington, northern Idaho and western Montana.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline CastleRocker

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2011, 04:19:31 PM »
Thanks Buckmark.  That Columbian ground squirrel looks exactly like the ones that we used to "see" out around the Spokane/Couer D'Alene area when I was young. 

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
The Columbian ground squirrel can be found in Canada in eastern British Columbia and Western Alberta. In the United States, it can be found in eastern Oregon and Washington, northern Idaho and western Montana.

These are the ones that are all over my grandparent's property. They are fun too shoot with a .22lr and .22mag.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
Why is it so hard to get permission here in Wa but so much easier in Or?
Biggest population in Oregon is the I-5 coridor.  Lots of people that don't hunt.  No big cities on the east side.  You have Bend and the surrounding areas, so lot more area to hunt.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]