collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 22wmr legal for coyote hunting?  (Read 14160 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: 22wmr legal for coyote hunting?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
You can hunt elk with a 25 ACP; I don't see why you can't hunt coyotes with an air gun.

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 10:42:34 PM »
You can hunt elk with a 25 ACP; I don't see why you can't hunt coyotes with an air gun.

Now that's a thought.  How many rounds do you think it would take to bring down a bull elk?  I think 1 could do the job  :bdid:

Offline duckaholic

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 11:03:38 PM »
yes the 22wmr is a good round for shooting coyotes and with some of the ammo you can get today i would say that you would be fine out to 125-150yds..........

i have one for sale in the classifieds if your interested in getting one
gun control means use two hands

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »

About the only thing a 25 ACP is good for is cleaning out your ears, in my opinion.  :chuckle:
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline CamoKevin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
in WA you can shoot them with an air rifle if you want. and with air rifles these days im sure you could kill one. my pops has killed probibly a dozen with an old marlin 22lr.

I would, there's "over the counter" air rifles that pack over 230 ft/lbs compared to 130 ft/lbs of a 22LR, not that's the only thing to compare. I know Gamo had an ad running for the .177 spring piston rifle showing them hunting a little piggy. Popped it between the eyes and dropped it right there.

I only use my air rifle for taking out stuff on the parents 10 acres.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »
So this evolved from useing a 22 mag for yotes to useing an air rifle?  :bdid:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
There's only so much that can be said about using a 22 mag for coyotes. What? It's legal and yes it will kill them out to 100 yards or so? So this thread had no choice but to evolve or die.   :)

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
I know, but for god's sake. An air rifle?

I'm with you though I do love the states handgun laws. .25 acp + 4" barrel = Bear Down.  :chuckle:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »
Air rifles work well for deer so they definitely would work for coyotes. Just a quick Google search and I came up with this:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »
Here is part of the story that went along with the picture:

After a successful trip to the range, Eric and I took to the field. About 4:30pm a decent buck came into view.  I was able to make a good shot on the deer at 91 (range finder) yards.  It went about 20 steps and went down.  I used a 200gr. muzzle-loading (pure lead) bullet that was found in the opposite shoulder, just under the hide.  I'm very happy with the gun and the bullet penetration.  I used a Quackenbush long action Outlaw.  A 500fpe .458 caliber hunting rifle.  It's got beautiful a beautiful Missouri Black Walnut stock and the workmanship is outstanding.  Made right here in Missouri by Dennis Quackenbush, Urbana, MO.  I'm going to order one with a left-handed action & stock. 

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:19:30 PM »
Thats no daisy red rider.  :chuckle:

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
Since no one seems to believe it, here is the letter that was sent to WDFW enforcement officers in July 2010.  Hunt with them if you wish....

To All,

Over the past few months, I have been asked by several different Hunter Education Instructors about whether or not it is legal  to use “Pellet Guns” for hunting?    The reason that I am sending this to the field, is that again, I have had several of these instructors say that they have had a “mixed bag” of responses from our officers (Yes, No & Maybe) during the classes when this question has come up.  So, I want  to make sure that everyone has the right answer and gives a standard uniform response when they are at a Hunter Education class (or are asked in the field). 

The answer is;  “No” pellet guns are not legal to hunt with and this comes from two sources;

WAC 232-12-047   
Unlawful methods for hunting.
(1) It is unlawful to hunt any big game with:
     (a) A fully automatic firearm.
     (b) A centerfire cartridge less than 22 caliber for cougar.
     (c) A centerfire cartridge less than 24 caliber for any other big game.
     (d) A shotgun, provided that a 20 gauge, or larger shotgun, using shells loaded with slugs or buckshot size #1 or larger, may be used to hunt deer, bear, and cougar.
     (e) A shotgun for any other big game, except that a 12 gauge or 10 gauge shotgun using slugs may be used.
     (f) A handgun during a modern firearm season that does not meet the following criteria: Have a minimum barrel length of four inches, per manufacturer's specification, and fire a centerfire cartridge.
     (g) Any rimfire cartridge.
     (2) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells.

(3) It is unlawful to hunt game birds or game animals, except bullfrogs, in a manner other than with a firearm, a bow and arrow, or by falconry, except in those designated areas where crossbows are allowed.

(4) Rules pertaining to crossbows:
     (a) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a crossbow with a draw weight less than 125 pounds, a limb width less than 24 inches, a draw length less than 14 inches, and a trigger safety that does not work properly.
     (b) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow or bolt measuring less than 16 inches in length and weighing less than 350 grains.
     (c) It is unlawful to hunt game animals or game birds with a crossbow that weighs more than 15 pounds.
     (d) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow or bolt that does not have a sharp broadhead and the broadhead blade or blades are less than seven-eighths inch wide.
     (e) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a broadhead blade unless the broadhead is unbarbed and completely closed at the back end of the blade or blades by a smooth, unbroken surface starting at maximum blade width and forming a smooth line toward the feather end of the shaft, and such line does not angle toward the point.
     (f) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a retractable broadhead.
     (5) Hunters with disabilities may use a crossbow with a special use permit as conditioned in WAC 232-12-054.
     (6) It is unlawful to hunt game animals or game birds with a shotgun larger than 10 gauge.
     (7) It is unlawful to hunt game birds with a rifle or handgun, with the exception of blue grouse, spruce grouse and ruffed grouse.
     (8) A violation of this section is punishable under RCW 77.15.400, 77.15.410, or 77.15.430, depending on the species hunted.
And;

RCW 9.41.10      defines a firearm:

(7) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.
A pellet gun does not utilize an “explosive” to fire the projectile, it is fired by compressed air so it is not a firearm. 

Thanks & Be Safe,

Sgt. Eric Anderson
WDFW  Enforcement
Olympia, WA
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
I have no problem believing that the WDFW has a dumb law like that on the books. Why can't they revise it so that air rifles ARE legal? Like I said before, they changed the law so that basically any centerfire handgun cartridge is legal for big game. Why shouldn't air rifles be legal at least for grouse, rabbits, coyotes, etc?

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Since no one seems to believe it, here is the letter that was sent to WDFW enforcement officers in July 2010.  Hunt with them if you wish....

It is not that no one believes it, and I have not seen anyone say that it is legal.  I still think there is a problem with the wording of "big game" "game bird" "game animal".  You pointed out the WAC that considers all animals, that require a license, "game" animals.  I pointed out two sources that say specifically that coyotes are not game animals.  The blanket statement that they are illegal to hunt with has some problems depending on the animal and situation.  If some animals are causing property damage or depredation, no license is required, and if they are not on the list of "game" animals I still dont see where anything says you can not use a pellet gun.  Very limited use and maybe its an unintended loophole but I think its there.  Im not trying to start any disagreements I was just pointing out some flaws in the different rules just for the sake of discussion.

We should talk about petitioning the dept. to make pellet rifles, that meet certain requirements, legal for some small game and unclassified wildlife. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
I have no problem believing that the WDFW has a dumb law like that on the books. Why can't they revise it so that air rifles ARE legal? Like I said before, they changed the law so that basically any centerfire handgun cartridge is legal for big game. Why shouldn't air rifles be legal at least for grouse, rabbits, coyotes, etc?
I completely agree with you.  All I'm saying is that enforcement officers have been told it's illegal....
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal