collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: First timer!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline A4effort

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
First timer!
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
I have never hunted turkey before, but have some free time and ok from the Mrs next weekend. I have a place where I deer/elk hunt, and ALWAYS see more turkey than 4 legged animals. I am mainly doing an early scouting trip, but figured I would drag a gun with me incase a gobbler crosses paths with me. I have always wanted to get in to Turkey hunting, but have never followed thru with it. Was wondering if anyone was willing to supply some knowledge. I have a general idea where they roost in the fall (I have no idea if it is anywhere close this time of year). So i guess I'm asking what my game plan should be for the weekend. What time to get up and shake the hangover (guessing 4:30-5ish)? What calls/equipment i should have on hand (dont plan on calling much with no experiance)? Is turkey hunting an am and pm thing or all day long? And any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Offline klickriverchromer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: First timer!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
They should be talking from the roost at day break.. If you can run a slate call w/ a striker I'd bring one of those and do some soft puring and clucking w/ that.. What part of the state are you heading too?
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
Try a crow call to locate them. Depending on the size of property your on you can call with your slate call every 100 yards or so while your scouting and who knows you might find a tom all fired up. :twocents:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:13:56 PM by oldleclericrd »
Aim small, miss small.

Offline A4effort

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
Thanks Klickriver! I am heading your way to the Klick area, near Glendwood. I am willing to give anything a try, just excited to get in the woods for a few days!

Offline klickriverchromer

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
If your out in the woods just before light you can use a hooter call (owl). That usually will get them to shock gobble from the roost.. Lots of different noises can get a shock gobble out of them. I've heard them light off at coyotes, crows, peacocks, yarder whistles, etc. You should be able to get them talking with a slate if your in an area w/ birds though.. There hot birds out there right now, you just have to get on them in the morning before they hen up.  You never no where a lonely Tom will pop up.. There are some good areas where your headed. They have been pressured pretty hard, but I've gotten birds that were shot at in the early morning to gobble and come in later in the day.. Good luck and go gettem.. PM me if you need anymore help..
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

Offline A4effort

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Sweet thanks guys! I have not done much calling, but have a little time to  get a little practice in! Dont expect to tag one on a first time trip out, but want to be as prepaired as I can in a short time! Will be doing extra homework this  week!

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
Goodluck to you!
Aim small, miss small.

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 09:11:16 PM »
Dont know if you've left yet but I can tell you that I see turkey's at all times of the day and I've gotten them to talk just about anytime.  I live in Glenwood. :)  If you have time, stop by the big white house and I will let you know where I see them.  I Dont hunt turkey.
Matthew 6:33

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
 :yeah:

Any  time of the day ... after they feed with the hens and breed them, the hens will wander off to the nest ... good time to catch a lonely gobbler.  And most guys will be back in town for breakfast or a snooze  :bdid:
and you have his undivided attention.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 02:46:09 PM by turkeydancer »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]