collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: need tips on becoming more accurate with my 300 win mag  (Read 10669 times)

Offline NW-GSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
need tips on becoming more accurate with my 300 win mag
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:22:04 PM »
I have shot 30,06 alot but my 300 win mag is hard for me to put a decent group down range.
Im not talking about bench rest, I went out shooting yesterday and I first shot a 50 yards and put two bullets in the same hole I then went out to 100 yards and with just sitting down and shooting the bullets were in like a 6 inch group. I know I am more accurate then that, Im going to get a limbsaver recoil pad due to thinking the recoil is making me flinch, I do not want to put a muzzle brake on the gun.

Any advice is welcome

second question I have is what is better shooting sticks or tripod set up on the gun and if so how long of legs for the tri pod :dunno:

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
Re: need tips on becoming more accurate with my 300 win mag
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
I would suggest shooting it off a bench and find out if it is you or maybe it doesnt like the ammo.  :dunno: If it makes you flinch quit shooting it before it begins to effect you shooting other guns.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »
Different stock design might help, limb saver will help too. Make sure its not the gun.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
So are you flinching, or not? When you squeeze the trigger are you tensioning up more and or blinking? If it hurts to were your flinching you definately need some recoil absorbsion. Does it hurt your shoulder? My 300 WSM lightweight kicks good too but I train my mind to be over matter.
If your not flinching then like Wood said, check it on a bench first.
What ammo are you shooting?

Offline mebco09

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
I had the same problem last year.  Out of curiosity, what brand of gun is your .300?  How about your 30-06?

I hunted with the same rifle for 15 years, a Ruger M77, in 30-06.  In 2009, I decided that I needed another gun, and bought a similar M77 in .338 win mag.  I took the .338 to the range and had myself so worked up that the recoil was going to be sooo bad, that I could not shoot the rifle well.  I shot multiple times over the course of a few weeks, and was ready to give up and sell the rifle or start spending money magna-porting the rifle or going to a heavy stock etc.

Finally, I decided to run a few rounds through the .30-06 and then run a few through the .338 to get a comparison.  What I was surprised to find, was that the felt recoil was WORSE with the .30-06.  The recoil felt more like a kick rather than a heavy push of the .338.  After a little practice, I was shooting the .338 well enough that I might not go back to 30-06.

I guess my suggestion is to try both rifles side-by-side and feel for yourself how close a .300 is to an 06 in terms of recoil to get the mental aspect out of the equation.

Definitely go with a benchrest to eliminate any operator error.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
I would suggest shooting it off a bench and find out if it is you or maybe it doesnt like the ammo.  :dunno: If it makes you flinch quit shooting it before it begins to effect you shooting other guns.  :twocents:

Spot on! shoot from a bench to check the loads/gun. Then shoot from other area's to check your shooting :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Have your buddy load your gun for you and don't watch him. Have him not load a round randomly. You'll know if you're flinching that way.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Have your buddy load your gun for you and don't watch him. Have him not load a round randomly. You'll know if you're flinching that way.

Another very good trick, you will learn a lot from this.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
Start simple too...make sure your base and ring screws are tight, etc. What kind of rifle?
Maybe you need to try some different ammo...maybe your rifle dislikes the ammo you're shooting.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CamoDup

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Aint here for a long time. Here for a good time
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
Start simple too...make sure your base and ring screws are tight, etc. What kind of rifle?

I was just typing the same as you posted it... I have had that happen to me.  Also, sometimes if you have a cheaper scope on a gun that kicks hard it could throw it off. Similar to dropping it on the ground...

My best advice is to just go get a .300 Weatherby Mag.  :chuckle:

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
I will try to get out this weekend and shoot it off a bench, I shot it a couple weeks ago while laying down and resting the gun on my back pack and the groups were good. I think you guys are on the right track with me flinching a little. I will be sure to tighten the scope ring mounts and mounts. I am just shooting 180 federals out of it and it is a remington 700 with a synthetic stock.

I have shot it and then my o6 and it does seem to kick less then the o6 sometimes depending on if I am standing sitting or laying down while shooting.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
My advise is to sell it, give it, or leave it in the gun safe.  Developing a flinch is a very bad habit to break, and you already have a 30-06 which is more than adequate for most everything you would use a 300 on.  Once you start flinching with your 300, you'll most likely start flinching other firearms.  Shooters that develop a bad flinch habit can even flinch with .22s.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:54 PM »
I think there are a couple problems wich when combined are causing the larger shooting group. I think that if I work on my technique on how I hold the gun and how it fits into my shoulder will help cause it seems like sometimes it does not kick very much at all and then other times it kicks really hard.

My thoughts are that I should be fine with the recoil. It isn't hurting except for the time the scope hit my eye brow haha but I'm thinking I'm going to get a limbsaver recoil reducer but pad and and debating on either getting shooting sticks or a tripod setup for the gun. I have mainly only shot shotguns so rifles are new to me.

Ps I sold the 06 cause it was so dang heavy and for other reasons. It was a Springfield 1917

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
My advise is to sell it, give it, or leave it in the gun safe.  Developing a flinch is a very bad habit to break, and you already have a 30-06 which is more than adequate for most everything you would use a 300 on.  Once you start flinching with your 300, you'll most likely start flinching other firearms.  Shooters that develop a bad flinch habit can even flinch with .22s.
I agree with Bob, its hard for guys to get over. I shoot a .300wm also but I was shooting a 7mm when I was 16, so I dont even notice recoil or think about it. Its a mental thing, your always going to think about that scope bouncing off your eye everytime just before you pull the trigger.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
I agree! I am recoil sensitive. I admit it! So, I shoot a .270win most of the time. I still get game. It sure could be some ammo that your gun dose not like. Try a different brand.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]