collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Klickitat  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Greg Mullins

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
West Klickitat
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:07:20 PM »
Looking for info.on the W.Klickitat unit. I drew a 3pt min tag and also a doe tag in the Entiat unit. I hunt for the meat but horns are nice . Any info would be great just kinda iffy on how good Klickitat unit really is. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.       

Offline fair-chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: West Klickitat
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
That was quick.  :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
That was quick and a first post too. I am trying to be more understanding lately though so I won't say anything negative. Wish I could help but I don't know anything about the area. Good luck!
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Greg Mullins

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:12:27 PM »
Thanks

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
holy crap I guess that was quick :sry:
go ahead on er.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
We all started posting for some reason, I suspect as the results comeout there will be lots of new members looking for info :chuckle:. Help the ones you can, laugh at the others, but mostly remember this is a site for hunters of our state and I think most of us have benefited from someone sharing on here  :twocents:.

Offline Greg Mullins

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:28 PM »
W ell thanks for your imput but last year when I got devorced my X  changed my password and crashed my computer.I was once known as Monster 10. But now Im me  :tup:

Offline logger

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
We all started posting for some reason, I suspect as the results comeout there will be lots of new members looking for info :chuckle:. Help the ones you can, laugh at the others, but mostly remember this is a site for hunters of our state and I think most of us have benefited from someone sharing on here  :twocents:.
    Ya your right, sorry. But I got the the west klick. tag for muzzy too!
go ahead on er.

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
(((YOUDREWMYTAG))) :yike:
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
Someone lock this thread.  I can't wait to muzzy hunt again it's been a few years.  :chuckle:

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »
Having grown up hunting West Klickitat, seen it as general late hunt, late muzzy hunt, and late rifle tag hunt. I've helped a few guys hunt it for the late rifle draw tag in the last few years. I'm a bit baffled folks burn points on it.

Had a good friend who put in for it and he had never seen the unit. Just always heard it was good. I hunt there with him now and he dont put in for draw tags there.

Now thats not to say there isnt great bucks there, there is for sure. I see them and find thier sheds every year. But in my opinion the Late hunt doesnt give you enough advantage that you could go in cold turkey and expect to do any good. To me that late tag would only be an advantage for a fellow who is intimate with the unit, has some good bucks located, and can take advantage of the rut to catch them making a mistake. I think if your planning to go at it by scouting a bit in the summer/early fall looking for good areas, then hope the rut hooks you up, you'll likely be dissapointed.

Maybe the 3 point or better deal is improving things. It seems like it, but hard to put a finger on it. At the same time they cut the unit down and moved the eastern border west removing some good area.

Its definately not the type of unit where you expect the late draw tag to be a "pick your buck out of the many you see every day" type hunt.

Another consideration is they have realy got hot and heavy on the logging in the last year or two. Its changed alot of areas.

I think if I had your tag I'd start looking up neer the Kings mountain Drapper springs area. Snow and rut could combine to hook you up, up there. Its logging and NF without all the usual private mixing. Never hurts to have access to the Kreps land, but I dont kow how to go about that.  The lower areas are good, but far more prone to the "honey hole" effect where you realy need to know the ground.

Guess I've typed alot and managed to say almost nothing. LOL

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:12:35 PM »
I think you nailed it Chesapeake. Great summary of the unit. Oh, and the access to Krepps land has been a dream of mine since I started hunting the unit 10 years ago. I keep telling myself they'll cave in to my requests next year.  :chuckle:

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
Don't even think you will get permission from the krep's to hunt.  I have known the family my whole life, am good friends with the youngest generation, and I wouldn't waste my breathe asking.  Not the best deer hunting in the unit anyway.  :twocents:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:17:43 PM »
Harder hunt, some deer deepening on the weather. More then likely you will be hunting public ground because most private owners over there do not let many people hunt. Pretty close nit groups.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline logger

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:37:27 PM »
I love this hunt, have done very well in the past, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the brush :chuckle:
go ahead on er.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal