collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: German Short Hairs  (Read 8810 times)

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
German Short Hairs
« on: June 06, 2008, 09:43:41 PM »
Anybody know much about these dogs.  I saw some purebread puppies on craigs list for 200 bucks. Are they fairly mile manered, i know there good bird dogs. the owners said the dad is a good hunter and the moms sister is good to. Ive been looking at getting a dog for hunting pheasants and my kids have been bugging me to get a dog.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: German Short Hairs
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
$200 doesn't seem right. Mine was $550 with his papers, and he was on the cheap end, and I had to drive to Corvallis to pick him up. They also have A LOT of energy. When my pup was about 9 months old, I took him to the park and let him run for 3 hours and when we got home, he was still bouncing around. With that said, he does live inside, and he doesn't tear our house apart. He is one of the best dogs I have ever had, but they need a lot of exercise. A good shorthair is a tired shorthair.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 09:50:36 PM »
Thanks for the info. ill go check them out and see what they look like and ask some questions.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:54:01 PM »
heres the add for them if you want to look at a couple of the pups.  let me know what you think of them.

http://yakima.craigslist.org/spo/707411041.html

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:01 PM »
3 years old seems to be a magical age with GSP's.  I have trained a couple and they were extremely high strung, but great dogs. They o calm down and are very loving and good with kids.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:05:24 PM »
Unfortunately I don't know enough about them to look at them and see any issues. I just have never seen any purebred GSP's WITH papers go for only $200. I would love to have another pup from the same line as the one I have now, but we already have two dogs in the house. Although mine is very energetic, he tries very hard to be good (sitting down when you can tell he just wants to jump up and say hi). I wouldn't trade him for anything, and I know he will eventually settle down.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:25:44 PM »
maybe they are cheaper because they arent papered??? :dunno:

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:58 AM »
That would be my guess Mossback.  Sometimes you just have folks that breed because they love to, not to make money.  My golden was $200 with papers, great lineage, and just beautiful parents.  I had a ton of offers for stud service when I spent a couple of summers on the West side working, but that was before they realized his nuts were gone.  The wife of a doctor bred them for a hobby and just looked to cover her costs.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline mossback91

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
That would be my guess Mossback.  Sometimes you just have folks that breed because they love to, not to make money.  My golden was $200 with papers, great lineage, and just beautiful parents.  I had a ton of offers for stud service when I spent a couple of summers on the West side working, but that was before they realized his nuts were gone.  The wife of a doctor bred them for a hobby and just looked to cover her costs.
Yeah thats what we did with our britts

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
i just called and she said there not papered, shes coming up this way so shes going to bring them and the mom so ill go look at them.

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
well i caved in and bought one, put my 25 dollar deposit down and pick him up next weekend.  Kids will be excited with a new puppy around. keep it a secret till i pick him up.

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
Thats funny, I knew as soon as I read that you were going to go look at them that you would buy one! They are way too cute when they are pups. We love our shorthair. If you ever need a good trainer I highly reccomend John Greer in Ellensburg. He did a fantastic job on my dog. He specializes in breeding pointing Labs but he does a great job of training any dog.

Offline Wayne1

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »
I already paid for a new pointing lab pup from John...   waiting for this winters litter
Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. --David Letterman

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »
There awesome dogs to say the least, smart, full of energy, good with kids and love to please. I have had Gunner now for 7 1/2 years now and have had a blast with him the whole time. Like alot of people mentioned already they are FULL of energy, I can never tire him  out unless we hunt for several days in a row. $200 does not sound like alot for a GSP, but again they are not papered. I have a buddy that hunts a non papered GSP and she is one hell of a dog, so I if you not into having papers I don't see why not.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »
I have never bothered with registering any of my hunting dogs. They were purebred dogs and I always got the paperwork when I purchased the dog that would allow me to register them with the AKC, but I never saw the need to do so. The only reason I would have needed to do that is if I planned on breeding them and selling puppies.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:41 AM »
Good dogs.  Tough, pretty even tempered and good noses.  Some are even decent retrievers.  They tend to be a bit tougher to train than say a lab or a golden.  May be a little harder to have in the house but I've still seen a fair number that are good in the house. They like to run so be prepared for that.... it's just in their breeding.  They may seem a bit aloof... again compared to breeds like labs, goldens, springers but some folks really like that in dependant streak. 

Offline chukar-ridge-quest

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »
Groundhog is nuts on. John does a wonderful job.  He'll even "break" your pups to buzztails.   Priceless if you hunt early, Sept. for grouse, or opening for upland.
GOD GAVE US TWO EARS AND ONE MOUTH, SO WE CAN LISTEN TWICE AS MUCH AS WE TALK!!!

Offline GermanShorthair

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »
They are great dogs and wonderful around kids. a lot of energy but once you focuse that enerfy the dogs are great. mine is three and he still is going strong on energy, but he is the greatest bird dog i have ever shot over!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal