collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619625 times)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated WA Wolf Count 156+
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »
This was sent to me by a friend that lives in Idaho.  Some good reading and new information to me. 

http://www.skinnymoose.com/bbb/2011/05/10/overview-of-challis-idaho-meeting-about-hydatid-disease/

Sounds to me as though this state better get on the bandwagon and c0-0perate with this program in its infancy to this region....

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »
If you're going to worry about Hydatid disease, you might want to worry about the most common source, dogs, or another canine scourge, the coyote.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Tapeworms_and_hydatid_disease

But of course, this isn't about reality, this is about spreading panic about wolves.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2012, 09:03:05 AM »
If you're going to worry about Hydatid disease, you might want to worry about the most common source, dogs, or another canine scourge, the coyote.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Tapeworms_and_hydatid_disease

But of course, this isn't about reality, this is about spreading panic about wolves.

I agree with your first sentence. The second one has no value added info. though, sounds like your just trying to stir the pot.............again.  :twocents:
Just one more day

Offline Fowlweather25

• Sourdough
« Reply #288 on: February 12, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Hey Sitka! Quit with the bs! If you're gonna be a wolf lover do it somewhere else!
What would life be without the thrill of the hunt?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #289 on: February 12, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

This about spreading the truth about wolves, not the Disney edited version.  :twocents:

Before canadian wolves were introduced in Idaho, the frequence of E Granulosus was minimal, but according to WSU, 62% of idaho wolves are carrying the worm, because wolves are such wide ranging animals they are depositing wolf worms in their stools all over the countryside for other canids and species to get infected from.

If Oregon-7 is infected, (2/3 chance of it) there are wolf worms deposited all the way through Oregon and into California.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
Re: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Estimated WA Wolf Count 158+
« Reply #290 on: February 12, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
Last night I attended the SCI Banquet in Spokane with one of my good friends who also guides for me. He had one of the cow elk tags on Turnbull Refuge near Cheney last fall.

On November 5, 2011 they saw 1 black and 1 gray wolf on the refuge while elk hunting. He said there was no question about it, they were clearly 2 wolves. He said he reported it and was told there were other sightings of wolves on the refuge.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #291 on: February 12, 2012, 05:31:32 PM »
Well, I guess nobody has any input on my info. So, I guess I'll bow out of all the BS about wolf problems and WFW. Thanks, but no thanks. Too many people on here that don't know sh!t. I live here and most of the critics live on the westside. Typical !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #292 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
The westsiders always have an opinion and don't have all the facts. Some do and some don't. I'm so sick and tired of the onesided comments, and debates on here, it's disgusting. You live in a world that is full of more lies and deceit. We do to, but, at least we have reps that are fighting all the liberal BS that is crammed down your/our throats. I'm really fed up with the way this website has gone form a hunting family website to a soapbox of anti hunting, anti everything, it's my way type of site. Crawl out of your cave and unite. All we do is bitch and tear down everything we disagree on. I will not cow down to say I'm sorry for my post, because to me, that's a sign of weakness. I beleive in what I beleive and that's it. There are are few that need to grow up, as I might too, but, I don't care.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #293 on: February 12, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »
It is likely that they are wolf tracks Campmeat...  SB do you know of any studies that state how many coyotes and dogs are infected with this parasite? I would guess that there are a few differences between Coyotes and wolves. Coyotes main food in many places is small game with some deer fawns thrown in. Yes there are areas with deep crusty snow that coyotes pack up and kill deer but for the most part they are fawn killers. The main part of the diet with wolves is deer and elk... They don't eat to much small game. Wolves travel huge distances coyotes not so much. 

Now i would bet if a study checked the number of coyotes from an area like the Basin verses an area like ID that has both wolves AND coyotes the coyotes there would have HD to the same degree that wolves do. The devil is in the details, there are few exceptions.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #294 on: February 12, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
Campmeat I'm not sure they are big enough for wolf tracks. I don't know exactly where you live and whether or not you have neighbors with dogs running loose in your area. Did the tracks just follow the road or did they take off cross country? Could it have been neighbor dogs out chasing deer and on their way back home on the road? As you know, we've got wolves documented in your area so they are very possibly wolf tracks.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #295 on: February 12, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
We've seen wolves here for more than 3 years and the game dept has said, "Oh well, it's not on PRIVATE Land, so we'll not do anything about hanging a game cam ". Specila T, I don't care about parasites, why ? We have a bigger problem with wolves. Don't forget Special T, the WDFW is owned by the commies liberals.

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #296 on: February 12, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
Camp, if you want an opinion I will give you mine. Those track appear to be slightly small for wolf. From what I have seen and read the middle toes on wolves are much longer, and make a very distinct track. So I think mom and pup coyotes, especially because there are coyote tracks mixed in. However if you have the time follow the tracks, if you find a dead coyote then young wolves may be present. Wolves will not stop until the coyote is dead, if he was found in their territory. Now it is extremely hard to tell with only a boot for reference. If there was something a little more universal in the pic it may be easier to determine. Pictures never do any animal or track justice as far as size. Did you happen to get a measurement of the stride?

Brandon
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 08:13:14 PM by luvtohnt »

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #297 on: February 12, 2012, 08:07:51 PM »
Campmeat I'm not sure they are big enough for wolf tracks. I don't know exactly where you live and whether or not you have neighbors with dogs running loose in your area. Did the tracks just follow the road or did they take off cross country? Could it have been neighbor dogs out chasing deer and on their way back home on the road? As you know, we've got wolves documented in your area so they are very possibly wolf tracks.

Dale,
We don't have roaming dogs, I'd shoot them. The tracks were 4x3 inches. The tracks came up off of Tonasket Creek Rd and came up to my house, They wondered around my driveway and left. They went up the road and I lost them, muddy. The one picture I posted has coyote tracks in them with the "other" tracks 2 feet from them. They were about 5x's bigger than the coyote tracks. I have Rotts and their tracks are maybe 1/3 the size of the 'other' tracks. Very strange. Nobody has a dog around here that could leave such a large imprint.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #298 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
Camp, if you want an opinion I will give you mine. Those track appear to be slightly small for wolf. From what I have seen and read the middle tows on wolves are much longer, and make a very distinct track. So I think mom and pup coyotes, especially because there are coyote tracks mixed in. However if you have the time follow the tracks, if you find a dead coyote then young wolves may be present. Wolves will not stop until the coyote is dead, if he was found in their territory. Now it is extremely hard to tell with only a boot for reference. If there was something a little more universal in the pic it may be easier to determine. Pictures never do any animal or track justice as far as size. Did you happen to get a measurement of the stride?

Brandon

Brandon.
Look at my reply to Dale.
Thanks.

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #299 on: February 12, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
Well it could be a small young wolf. Also the part about coming up towards your house makes me hesitate to say wolf, because they tend to shy away from anything human. But then again as stated before if it is a young wolf it could be curious. I think if you believe it was a wolf then it is. We are not there to see the tracks. What is the deal with the WDFW saying they are not on private property so they won't hang a camera? Do you have a game cam you can put out?

Brandon

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand