collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+  (Read 619824 times)

Offline paytonma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+
« Reply #435 on: December 19, 2012, 08:29:37 PM »
On 11/29/12 I found a wolf eating a whitetail doe I shot the night before in the sinlahekin.
What part of the sinlahekin?

Offline paytonma

• Hunter
« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
over the summer me and my cousins decided to go up to heather meadows at the mt baker ski area (unit 418) and it was early june so there was a decent amount of snow left and we were tracking a cougar through the snow when my cousin asked about these coyote tracks and i looked and they were no coyote tracks they were about 4 1/2 inches long. yes this area does get a lot of hikers and dogs but it is also by the wilderness area and there were no boot tracks and didnt look like dog tracks (i have a 140 pound american bulldog so i know what big dog tracks look like) just thought id chip in

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #437 on: December 22, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »
I am really sorry for the poor quality pictures, I couldn't get a decent one to take.  If I tried to include anything with the snow in this pic, the "smart" camera ruined the outline of the track. 

on 12-12-12, a few miles north of the Kelly Hill Cemetary, I watched a lone black wolf lope across the highway in front of me and stop briefly in a cattle field.  He/she left quickly, circling behind a small group of cattle and disappearing.  I got a blurry picture just a second too late and all you can see are the cows.

Not a melanistic coyote, I know a 100+ lb canine when I see it.  This thing was big.

This picture was taken in the ditch where it crossed N Pierre Lake Rd.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline cougarchitect

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Puget Sound Anglers, RMEF, NRA, Capital City Bowmen
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
So my son lives outside Cheney on 13 acres near the edge of Turnbull.  There's alot of game in the area. He has has seen deer, elk, turkeys, geese, quail and other game on or near his property. On Saturday, 12/22/12, he left around 10am to go work out at the gym.  He came back 3 hours later to find these very large tracks. He sent me a note wondering if they might be cougar tracks. I sent him a note that they looked canine. He owns a young, very large yellow lab and he said these were twice the size (width & length) of his dogs track. I told him to get some pictures with a tape measure for scale. He took these less than an hour after the first, crisp tracks.  What do you guys think? Is it possible there's a lone wolf making a living in the area?  Can provide gps coordinates if you think it would help. I encouraged him to keep his eyes open for more tracks and scat. I'm also giving him a trail cam for Christmas. Maybe he"ll get a shot of the culprit?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #439 on: December 23, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
I have heard other reports of wolves in and around Turnbull. Did the tracks continue down the road or did they leave the road and cut cross country?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline cougarchitect

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Puget Sound Anglers, RMEF, NRA, Capital City Bowmen
« Reply #440 on: December 24, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »
The road is actually his driveway.  He lives at the end of a long drive with a half dozen other properties. He said the tracks left the road and went across the property on the far side of the garage/shop. He's only a couple of miles south of town off of Badger Lake Rd..  Do you think these could be wolf tracks or just a very big dog? Is it possible that wolves would be found this close to town and moving in the middle of the day?  Have there been any confirmed sightings in Turnbull? Let me know if you need any more info. I'll share if he finds anything more. He's going to be watching a little closer now.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
The road is actually his driveway.  He lives at the end of a long drive with a half dozen other properties. He said the tracks left the road and went across the property on the far side of the garage/shop. He's only a couple of miles south of town off of Badger Lake Rd..  Do you think these could be wolf tracks or just a very big dog? Is it possible that wolves would be found this close to town and moving in the middle of the day?  Have there been any confirmed sightings in Turnbull? Let me know if you need any more info. I'll share if he finds anything more. He's going to be watching a little closer now.

I have been told by hunters at Turnbull that they saw wolves and they said employees claim to have seen wolves too.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Montec

• Pilgrim
« Reply #442 on: December 24, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
Mr. Denney, everybody else....this is an awesome thread first of all, incredibly organized, credible, and factually based. I have read this forum quite a bit and after finding this thread not long ago with the heads up from another member, I joined to post mine and my father's audible encounters with wolves this September. No pictures, no tracks, no visuals, but they were wolf howls alright.

GMU 105
Mitchell Flat/Mt.
No visuals, just audibles....Believed to be two adults

First Encounter

I work in the area each September, for the entirety of the month and invited the old man out this year with his camper to stay the month and hunt. At about 3 p.m. on Aug. 29th, I had just finished hanging one stand for dad to hunt whitetails out of. On the way to the second plausible stand location by foot I was stopped dead when I heard a single drawn out deep howl no more than 300-500 yards away to my NW. Dad and I immediately froze and turned to each other silently grinning (as we finally heard our first wolf in the home state without a doubt and we both knew it). Maybe 7-10 seconds later another singular howl rang out seemingly closer to my SE just about 180* from the first. That was it, two howls, then nothing. We hung around for a few minutes then went about our business. In light of all that was happening wolf wise at the time just west of my location on the west side of the wedge, we didn't think too much of it, and that the possibility of wolves right there in our hunting area was anything but far-fetched. More than a few others it sounds like have seen/heard them on the Northport side as well.

Second encounter, Middle to late Sept? Dad doesn't know the exact date.

My dad was on the way back from his stand in near black to the rig where my mother sat with the windows down listening and reading a book. I was not present, already tagged and was working that evening but am reporting this one in lieu of my father and mother.
Very similar thing, possibly the same two animals. Both parents heard them. One started howling, the other chimed in and they went off a couple of times together then went silent. They both told me separately the howls came from about a third of the way up a high ridge above a large field they were near.

I'm very very curious about other possible encounters that may have been had this year in and/or around the Sheep Creek drainage and from the border south down through the Flat Creek area to approx. the Gilmore cutoff, so basically the whole eastern diagonal flank of the GMU that might not have already been discussed or really elaborated on. Also, Border Patrol agent said he believed he had seen a few animals around the area that summer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:38:38 PM by Montec »

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
« Reply #443 on: December 26, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
No sightings or pics but my hunting partner heard wolves howling early morning of Nov. 18th 2012 about 5 miles up Cedar creek GMU 111 north stevens County. He has no doubt what they were. This is the 2nd year in a row wolves have been heard by a member in my party (Late deer MF) up Cedar.

I figure it is a break off from the Smackout pack.
Just one more day

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #444 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:51 AM »
The Fish and Game Biologist in St John says 2 sets of wolf tracks were recorded by Revere south of Rock Lake and he measured them. Says they are wolf tracks! Might be the two people reported seeing around Turnbull!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #445 on: February 13, 2013, 05:23:12 PM »
A friend saw a wolf standing in the middle of the road while snowmobiling up Gold Creek up the Methow 4 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago, a credible source called in a lone wolf up Texas Creek while coyote hunting. 2 days ago I spotted a lone wolf up Texas Creek while snowshoeing. (All up the Methow... so must be the "lookout" pack whether they're in Mazama or Methow)
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #446 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
I have credible reports from local residents within the last few weeks of 11 wolves sighted from the air in one pack near deep lake, 5 wolves seen in one pack near LPO Lakes, 2 wolves seen together near LPO Lakes. All in GMU 111.

1 collared wolf is also living and emitting radio signals on two private ranches about 4 miles from Colville just inside GMU 108 next to GMU 111.

Probable wolf tracks were also seen on Colville Mountain a couple miles from Colville in GMU 108.

Another wolf sighting in GMU 117 near LPO Refuge Headquarters.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #447 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »
Three more wolf incidents to go with the other sightings I have reported near Narcisse Creek and LPO Headquarters in GMU 117.

Monday 7:30 am, Feb 25, 2013
Wolf sighting in GMU 117 on the south side the Narcisse Creek Grange. Homeowner watches kids walk to the bus stop and back and nobody goes outside at night.

Wednesday Evening, Dec 12, 2012
GMU 117 near Narcisse Grange, knowledgeable local resident saw wolf tracks while walking into tree stand to bow hunt deer, heard wolf howling at dark time. The numerous deer all left the area, no deer were seen after the wolf tracks and howling showed up.

GMU 117 near Narcisse Grange, local resident had Golden Retriever attacked by wolves.

Wolf sighting in GMU 117 on the south side the Narcisse Creek Grange. Homeowner watches kids walk to the bus stop and back and nobody goes outside at night.

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
Report Wolf Sightings Here - Hunting-Washington Wolf Count 158+
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
Dark gray wolf spotted on the morning  of 3/10 near Reed Mountain. It was in the Pogue (233) GMU. Also reported this on the WDFW website.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
Winter Methow wanderings consolidated:

Gold Creek: January - about 1 mile out of the snowmobile park my friend saw a lone wolf standing in the middle of the road. Other friend that lives up the North fork has heard them howling and seen tracks.

Texas creek wildlife area (across from Gold Creek): late January - a mutual friend was calling coyotes and called a lone wolf in. A week later while snowshoeing, I saw a lone wolf from roughly 300 yards cross the head of the same drainage.

Finley Canyon: February - Two sets of wolf tracks found crossing a saddle in remote setting. Scat and potential wolf kill found.

Golden Doe Wildlife Area: March - Two sets of wolf tracks on fairly inaccessible ridgeline. North facing timbered slope showed more tracks. Wolf kill found. Took photos of the tracks on the ridgeline.. sorry, it was sunny and they're phone photos.

I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal