collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: O/U in the duck and goose blind  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Choclab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Stubby
O/U in the duck and goose blind
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »
How many of you guys and gals shoot an O/U in the duck and goose blind? I am getting mine camo dipped in Max-4 and going to use it this year instead of my pump. I was going to get an Extrema2, but the wife said I could get a boat instead....so...see ya later Beretta...lol. Back to the point, I am having better springs and titanium pins put in my O/U and I have been shooting my pump while it's been in the shop. I haven't been able to hit crap with my pump. I have been shooting my O/U sooo much lately, my pump now feels too light and uncomfortable. My follow through is crap and my follow up is equally as bad. I couldn't miss with my O/U. I would rather have 2 properly choked shots than 3 of the same. I figured I will stay with what is comfortable and use what I am shooting good with. It shoots 3" shells and I can order a million choke tubes for it. I can have the ultimate choke selection at turn of a wrench....lol. I hope to increase my kill to shot ratio this year. I used my O/U on a few hunts last year and I did prety good with it.
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: O/U in the duck and goose blind
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:13:08 AM »
if i had one that i felt comfortable shooting ducks with i would in a heartbeat...i have an old SKB 20 gauge in real good shape with fixed chokes that i really don't want to take and expose it to much salt...handed down from my gramp so the only action it sees is upland. it's real light so my wife likes dusting clays with it too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:05 PM »
hat little problem will be taken care of when it gets back from the camo dippin' dude........I will save a few bucks on shells anyways.....too many guys waste the third shot anyways...Might as well have two that count

Offline Trashmonkey

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 01:05:32 AM »
hat little problem will be taken care of when it gets back from the camo dippin' dude........I will save a few bucks on shells anyways.....too many guys waste the third shot anyways...Might as well have two that count
CHOCLAB,
I've thought about having my O/U dipped also.  I was wondering if you used the guys at NW hyroprint?  Could you let us know how it turned out?  I'm interested in hearing.  Thanks
TM
Moooon Riiiiver. Using your whole fist doc??

sisu

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:31:13 AM »
I've got several questions about this camo dipping:
1. Can this be done to regular blued steel or does have to be stainless?

2. If it can be done to blued is there any chance of corrosion starting between the camo and the steel?

Never considered doing this to my shotguns as they go way back in my youth but would consider buying a newly built one set up this way.

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:02:08 AM »
1......yes

2......no

It's a sweet process. You never have to worry about the outside of the gun again!

Offline Stape

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »
  I saw a similar process offered by Trebark...I think that was their name anyway, I called them some time back and they said they pretty much prep the gun, rough it up a bit, like sandblast it, but not so harsh, then clean and prep some more, and dip it in some kind of oil immerssion pattern, then when it cures, your good.  They recommend cleaning your gun with a damp cloth and as long as you don't gouge your gun or anything, the finish lasts.    I hunt almost always with doubles.  I really can't remember ever getting a bird with that 3rd shot of my autos or pumps, so figured if I can't get it in two, then I could save the 3rd shot.  For me, O/U's swing and point nicer, and fit better, like night and day, plus, as mentioned, you can swap chokes and loads for a greater range of conditions.   I use trulock tubes, a skeet 2 in the top with a 4 shot for decoying birds and close shots and a 2 shot through an improved modified for the bottom barrel.  If the birds don't decoy, simply fick the switch for the bottom barrel.  My percentage greatly increased when I went to doubles and a box of shells lasts a heck of allot longer too.    Hey choclab, you the same guy as the choclab over in duckhunting chat?

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »
I've waterfowl hunted with a Browning Citori Satin Hunter 12ga. 3 1/2" and a Weatherby O/U for years; including 20+ years of salt marsh hunting. Common Sense Gun Care like never leaving a wet gun to rust in the case and use of CorrosionX (www.corrosionx.com) eliminated any rust problem.

Call me Old Fashioned, but dipping a O/U or SXS with a walnut stock gives me the "shutters" (personal view). Ruger offers their Red Label in matte stainless with a syntheic stock or a factory dipped Browning Citori or Cynergy  are alternatives. 
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »
Yes I am the same Choclab over at DHC......That CX looks like good stuff. I might have to use some.

I am using a company out of Va. for the dipping.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal