collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting frustrated with Elk hunting in WA  (Read 38587 times)

Offline piledup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Getting frustrated with Elk hunting in WA
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
:dunno: :dunno: I don't get it. Hunt the west side for general bull on public land and have no problem finding solitude. Oh yeah sure, there's the occasional hunter who pops up but not very often. Put the boots down. Also you might be surprised how far you don't need to go.  ;)

:yeah: It's not that hard....  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

So ALL the elk ARE where ALL the hunters are at.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 11:02:17 AM »
I'm assuming he doesn't have a bow, arrows, sight, rests, quiver, release, quiet clothing, pack-able rain gear, rangefinder, his other accessories. Just the bow with peripherals will be greater than $1K for a fairly good bow, not even top of the line.

I got my buddy into it 4 years ago. I admit he had to buy all of his camping stuff, too, and boots and the works. He spent $4K. I would say at least 1800-2K to be properly equipped.

No way.  I got a great martin jaguar fully equipped with arrows, rest, quiver, release, everything for under 500.  Thing shoots faster than diamond black ice's with the same arrows.  Just as accurate, lighter and smaller too.  Rangefinders are not really needed either.  No one in our camp of 8 people use them.  He's already a hunter so I am sure he's got most of the duds like clothing and camping equipment.  Ill bet he could make the switch to archery hunting for under 650.  Who needs top of the line stuff?  Answer is nobody...  It's nice, but not a necessity.   He could have a perfectly lethal setup for pretty darn cheap.  This isn't even considering used equipment.  Used stuff he could get and be hunting for way less.  A lot of anti hunters have given us a stigma that hunting is only a rich mans endeavor to use as an argument when some hunters say they hunt for the inexpensive opportunity to feed their families. 

Here is a fully setup bow for example.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/2010_Martin_Saber_Hunting_Bow_Sale/martin_saber_compound_bow_cheap.htm

This isn't recommending that he switch to archery, there is plenty of options to better the quality of his hunt using modern firearm.  However if he does make the switch he isn't exactly going to have to spend $2000.  That is, unless he wants to, than more the power to him!  :tup:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:29:08 AM by Recurve-Elk »

Offline blaCKTAIL HUNt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
If you try hunting western washington there will probally be alot of pressure in most public areas but a majority of the crowds stay close to the roads and just drive around. If you are willing to do some hiking you can find some great habitat with far less pressure. Also 5 elk combined isn't bad at all atleast you were out in the woods having fun instead of working.
I zigged when i should have zagged.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:58 PM »
The closer you are to Seattle , the worse it is. I quit hunting elk over thataway 22 years ago. Too many idiots.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
The closer you are to Seattle , the worse it is. I quit hunting elk over thataway 22 years ago. Too many idiots.
  boy I am sure I am north of Seattle or I may be an idiot too !!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :rolleyes:

Offline piledup

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
  boy I am sure I am north of Seattle or I may be an idiot too !!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :rolleyes:

:lol4: :lol4:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
I bet I was considered an idiot by others when I lived near Seattle too...........  :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline wsucouga

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 01:21:28 PM »
Good advice thanks.  Thinking about archery -  I'm experienced with a bow - I'm just not sure I have the patience -I used to archery for deer in high school and college - but  I HATE sitting!  I'd rather walk around -    I have no problem getting away from the roads - My favorite place to hunt is the deep dark holes, far away from the roads, in the Bumping Unit.  I've seen a lot of Bulls in there.  But if I ever get a tag for one I'll need a helicopter to get it out.

My typical Washington hunting experience:  One year I was hunting in the Manashtash unit - I was working hard - well off the roads, at least as far away as one can get in the Manashtash.    I finally jumped a spike - I chased it for two hours - probably covering 4 miles or so.  It was just moving too fast for me to get a clean shot.  Finally, I chased it out across a road..........and then two good old boys in a grey Ford Pick-up. smoking cigars and drinking beers shot it from their truck.  They backed up their truck - thru the spike in the back - and were back at camp having lunch before I was done wiping the sweat off my face.  I'm sure they cracked another beer and told all their buddies the story of their amazing hunt.  I wasn't even that mad - It actually made me laugh.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:01 PM »
The harder you have to work to pack one out, the less people you will see no matter the season you choose...

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
The unmentioned problem is the length of seasons.  When you cram everybody into the same two weekends...Well, there are going to be a-lot more people in the woods at once.  Isn't there some way to put together a petition or something about season lengths???  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »
A and B tags with different seasons could alleviate some crowding

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech