collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last day on the Westside - Capitol Peak  (Read 6913 times)

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Last day on the Westside - Capitol Peak
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
Went for a drive this morning in the Capitol Forest and ran into Ghost Hunter (Dave) and crew. The morning started out chilly but quickly became warm. We did alot of bs'ing (hope I didn't slow you guys down too much) and comparing notes on the area as well as discussing calling sounds and the differences in Foxpro callers.

We took a short hike and found some fresh bear sign and followed the trail it made the night before. Then we made a quick stand and called for a short time over an older cut. We managed to get a doe excited enough to check us out and then we sat and watched a squirrel chew on a fir cone.

I didn't take as many pictures as I probably should have, but I did manage a few.

Peel

Doe

Squirrel

Dean with a BT shed that he found in a nasty hole.

Offline 280ackley

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Last day on the Westside - Capitol Peak
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »
Saw one in the Kapowsin today.
Life member: Washington Wild Sheep Foundation & NRA

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:41 AM »
I love those blacktail sheds. Very hard to find.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
I love those blacktail sheds. Very hard to find.

Then this must be a good area..My son and I both found one in the same area a couple years ago. :chuckle:  Oh yea, and I killed a three point in there. :IBCOOL:

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »
Thanks for stopping by BTKR.  We enjoyed it, and the time was well spent.  Who knows, we might be back :dunno:  Can't wait to see the CF results for the spring hunt :rolleyes:  Anybody that thinks it's a 'slamdunk' success rate, read these statistics.  We spent 18 long days this year, dawn to dark, most of 'em.  This was my 4th spring hunt, either mine or coaching the wife :chuckle:  She was happy to sit it out this year, can't understand that :dunno:  In the 4 years, we seen 3 bear.  At a minimum, we spent every other weekend.   Maybe we're just lousy hunters :dunno: :chuckle:  At any rate, will likely let some of these complainers that never get a chance give it a shot :chuckle: :chuckle: next spring.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:14:21 PM »
Or you could bust kidnap BTKR next time you draw CF Spring tag.  I think he's good luck!  :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
Or you could bust kidnap BTKR next time you draw CF Spring tag.  I think he's good luck!  :chuckle:

I did find a bear track after leaving Ghost Hunter! Not a very big one, but it was right near where they called in a coyote and bobcat.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »
BTKR-

Was up in the CF this last weekend for Fathers day riding quads with my father in law. Saw a little bear run accross the road where the A line meets the B line. Was hoping to run into some guys wearing camo up there but never saw anyone. . forgot how nice it is up there, used to live on Summit lake and miss the easy access to the forest.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
BTKR-

Was up in the CF this last weekend for Fathers day riding quads with my father in law. Saw a little bear run accross the road where the A line meets the B line. Was hoping to run into some guys wearing camo up there but never saw anyone. . forgot how nice it is up there, used to live on Summit lake and miss the easy access to the forest.

Shhh... that's the intersection where they always cross... :chuckle:

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
i think you just need to get to know the area, i heard of one guy that someone i know took out and they got theres pretty fast :dunno:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
i think you just need to get to know the area, i heard of one guy that someone i know took out and they got theres pretty fast :dunno:

Then why didn't you step up and offer to help?

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:25 AM »
Don't sweat it BTKR, he just likes to kick an o :dunno:ld man when he's down  :chuckle:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Dean44

• Hunter
  • -.-. --.-
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2008, 06:36:36 AM »
Here are a few more pics from hunting this spring. 

The snake was also in the CF. Ghost Hunter stopped on the trail to look at the snake and flushed some grouse chicks that the snake was about to strike at. The snake was almost a solid brown like a rubber snake but it was fast.

The first coyote we called in while calling bear with a fawn bawl. I shot it with my 375 Mag so it was quite a chore just arranging him on the stump for a bloodless picture. 260 Grains of a Nosler Accubond @ 2950 FPS took this dog out.

The last coyote was shot by my 10 year old son. It was his first coyote. Also called in with a fawn bawl, he made a great shot head-on at 125 yards using a 243 with an 85 grain Barns X @ 3300 FPS.

We had a lot of fun this season. We usually hunt around the Mt St Helens/Mt Adams area and the Klickitat area so the CF is a fun change.

It was great to meet BTKR. Meeting another hunter with so much knowledge and experience makes for great conversation and BTKR certainly has both.

-.-.  --.-   -..  .   -..  .  .-  -.   .-  -  --  -.--  -  .-  .-.  --.  .  -  ...  .-.-.-  -.-.  ---  --

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 10:47:52 AM »
It was great meeting you as well. Nice pictures. Good to see some folks thinning out the CF yotes.

Now for the bad part...I was up there today and saw a bear at 6 am.
If you left your camp, went right at the gate and follow it back to the C line and take a left where the cut starts. It came out of the cut broadside about 200 yards in front of me and walked down the road. I got to watch it for about 30 seconds before it crossed into some older reprod. It was solid black with no rubs and about 150 - 175lbs.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 04:11:33 PM »
 :(  Figgures!

Offline Braz475

• Pilgrim
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 11:50:33 PM »
Which entrances do you guys find to be the most productive area for bear in CF?  I have seen the most sign out Bordauex Rd....but still no luck... :dunno:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 05:12:19 AM »
Which entrances do you guys find to be the most productive area for bear in CF?  I have seen the most sign out Bordauex Rd....but still no luck... :dunno:

They can be far and few between. I once stopped a DNR employee and he told me in 15 years up there he only saw one bear...must not have been looking too hard.
pm sent.

Offline Dean44

• Hunter
  • -.-. --.-
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 05:26:30 AM »
I was up there today and saw a bear at 6 am.
If you left your camp, went right at the gate and follow it back to the C line and take a left where the cut starts. It came out of the cut broadside about 200 yards in front of me and walked down the road. I got to watch it for about 30 seconds before it crossed into some older reprod. It was solid black with no rubs and about 150 - 175lbs.

I know exactly where you mean. We drove that route several times to and from the area where all the peels were and camp. That is OK though, hopefully you will get a chance at him in the fall season.

We did a little scouting near our home in Kalama yesterday morning. I will start a different post with some pics.

-.-.  --.-   -..  .   -..  .  .-  -.   .-  -  --  -.--  -  .-  .-.  --.  .  -  ...  .-.-.-  -.-.  ---  --

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]