collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: *oregon rosey *  (Read 4325 times)

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
*oregon rosey *
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:04 PM »
i know that this is a wa fourm but i am looking to buy a archery tag for oregon state west side cuz i want a better chance at sticking a rosey but is it worth $140 for the license and $500 for the tag seems dam spending to me do any one on this site hunt oregon elk?

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: *oregon rosey *
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »
i spent a couple days by reedsport, and after what i seen it would be worth it to me. maybe i was just lucky, but damn did i see alot of elk.

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »
ya its just hard to justify when i could go to alot of other states but just not the same with roseys

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:06 PM »
I hunt eastern Oregon and its worth every penny to hunt big bulls.  Its a real elk hunting experience to get into so many elk and see so many bulls.  Their season is longer, but I only hunt the last 10 days.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:12:34 AM »
Hope this doesnt violate any forum rules, but there is a new hunting video out for hunting roseys in western oregon.  I just ordered it.  If you have seen Two weeks in Purgatory, Return to Purgatory, and whichever was the most recent release you will probably like this one as well.  Regular guys hunting public land.  Below is the link.  If i violated some rule, just delete this.

http://zmaproductions.com/

Offline akirkland

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:56 AM »
i spent a couple days by reedsport, and after what i seen it would be worth it to me. maybe i was just lucky, but damn did i see alot of elk.
                                                                                                                                                                      There is a elk refuge in Reedsport. Everytime we go to the dunes (Winchester), we see a good amount of elk out in that refuge. Lots of cows and a few nice bulls. Too small of an area to hunt in my opinion. Plus you can bet your last dollar those locals have thos elk spoken for. Seems to be more private land than public.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
I am going to hunt E Oregon with my Uncle at the family farm this year. I want to see how it goes before I sink the extra $500 into a non resident elk tag.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »
If you have places to hunt, OR has about twice as many elk as WA.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline kbyers

• Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1053271021
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 01:07:24 PM »
I hunt eastern Oregon and its worth every penny to hunt big bulls.  Its a real elk hunting experience to get into so many elk and see so many bulls.  Their season is longer, but I only hunt the last 10 days.

I love hunting eastern Oregon with my buddies.  There are few things better than spot and stalk hunting elk, running from thicket to thicket with them getting in range to let an arrow fly on a big bull
"I think I have a fish"
"probably bottom"
"bottom doesn't head shake!"

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »

I love hunting eastern Oregon with my buddies.  There are few things better than spot and stalk hunting elk, running from thicket to thicket with them getting in range to let an arrow fly on a big bull

I wish I lived in Richland.  Would cut my drive time to Desolation in half

Offline kbyers

• Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1053271021
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
I have heard good things about Desolation.  We are either in Ukiah or Starkey.  What was really nice was when the state of Oregon reimbursed soldiers in the Oregon National Guard for their hunting and fishing licenses, even if you were from out of state.  Gotta love budget cut backs
"I think I have a fish"
"probably bottom"
"bottom doesn't head shake!"

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:33:53 PM »
I hear those units are good as well.  Hard to pass up the time and knowledge of Desolation and start over somewhere else.  I do a 9 day hunt from Sept 17th to the end of their season which I think is the 26th.  Hunting the REAL rutt!

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
you guys are talking about chasing big bulls so is it any bull over there or what are the rules for archery

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »
Where I hunted last year was any elk.  This year it changed to any bull.  I think most eastside units are any bull now.

Offline mjtbackcountry

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:43 AM »
I hunted the Malhuer unit last year and will be back in 27 days! its well worth the money for the tag. Big bulls everywhere not to mention big bucks, turkeys, bears and cougars. I saw the biggest bull and buck I've ever seen in the same week. Not to mention pressure is low and u can actually see! Its a totally different view on elk hunting, bulls screaming from every ridge top. So if u can get there go for it!  :twocents:

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
Hope this doesnt violate any forum rules, but there is a new hunting video out for hunting roseys in western oregon.  I just ordered it.  If you have seen Two weeks in Purgatory, Return to Purgatory, and whichever was the most recent release you will probably like this one as well.  Regular guys hunting public land.  Below is the link.  If i violated some rule, just delete this.

http://zmaproductions.com/

A cool little video.  I hunted south of Bigs Junction several years back.  It was pretty cool.  A fairly large elk heard on private land.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline blacktailcrzy

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
ya it might be to late for this years hunt for me to just go blind but maybe next year i can scout and find spot that i can call my own. can any body point me in a good direction as far as a unit because looking at the whole state is kinda brod and over whelming but feel free to pm if you don't want everyone and there brother to know what your saying. thanks so far tho this has bin helpful

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
I only know a bit about the eastside so I am no use to you if you want to hunt strictly roseys.

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
    • Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:43 PM »
I've hunted Oregon from '95 mostly through to last year and I think I'm done for the most part unless they drop the prices.  I paid $450 in 2010 and yeah, $640! last year.  A near $200 hike in one year.  I killed my bull thank goodness.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
The price is about right with all other western states non res tags.. Idaho archery elk is close to $600

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:31 PM »
Hard to pass up being able to hunt til the 26th.  I just can't say no, maybe if it was around twice what it is I may think about it more, but for now I go as long as I get at least one hunting partner to go with.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal