collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting game birds on the ground??  (Read 21241 times)

Offline Shoffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Shooting game birds on the ground??
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:19:35 PM »
Some hunters view ground shooting as an un-ethical method. While there is no greater feeling that shooting a bird on a flush in the air, I have been guilty of shooting a grouse or two on the ground. I feel there is no problem with that. When I go hunting, I go to bring home birds to eat. If it's all about the skill of the shot, then why don't those guys just stay at the trap range and shoot clay targets?? Any thoughts??

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Shooting game birds on the ground??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
Safer to shoot grouse on the ground when you use a .22 rifle or pistol.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
I used to have a friend who had the moto of go ugly early that way he knew he would get lucky.  To each their own but I don't do it.

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
i honestly could care less, unless your hunting released birds they most likely are gonna fly anyways before you see em standing around somewhere, the outcome is the same, if people wanna be so ethical well dont go kill anything, killing an animal isnt "ethical" in the first place is it? if its out there im shootin at it!

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:22:26 AM »
I have no problem with shooting a grouse on the ground or on a limb. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
No problem with grouse as there are usually not dogs involved.  But, shooting pheasant, quail and chuckar on the ground is a good way to get a dog killed.  Plus, a pheasant can take one heck of a peppering in the back and still get up and fly.  Give him a single pellet in flight and "game over".
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Swannytheswan

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »
i honestly could care less, unless your hunting released birds they most likely are gonna fly anyways before you see em standing around somewhere, the outcome is the same, if people wanna be so ethical well dont go kill anything, killing an animal isnt "ethical" in the first place is it? if its out there im shootin at it!

I don't think killing animals is unethical! Killing is part of nature and a fact of life.
Swanny

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
 Grouse are WAY too delicious to give them the opportunity to get away when they present a shot. How many times have you quickly lined up on a flushed grouse only to have him take a drastic turn right as you're pulling the trigger, resulting in a 4' miss?
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:46:10 AM »
I think that when you say shooting a grouse on the ground is unethical you are in the minority. Go for it or you will be eating Colonel Sanders.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:16 AM »
Each species is seen differently to the hunter ..like pheasant hunting ..its all about the flush and hearing a rooster cackle...alot of grouse are shot off the ground..out here  its easy to shot grouse from the roads ..back east its almost unheard of ...the birds back there do not come out on the roads like here so its alot more fun because you have to flush them and try hitting one as he bolts threw the hardwoods ..Alot more challenging back there...and blue grouse are so dumb its almost a shame to kill em  :chuckle: :chuckle: :rolleyes:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
I am not going to criticize any bird hunter for taking a LEGAL shot on any game bird. (Accept for skybusting on migratory waterfowl that I am workin... :chuckle: )
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 06:44:32 AM »
Just aim at the X and let her rip.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
Just aim at the X and let her rip.
   :chuckle: :chuckle: :drool:

Offline Rhinoron247

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
Grouse off the ground no problem, however,  any shot below the waist when dogs are involved in the hunt NOT COOL even I the dogs aren't around!  Bad habit to even consider.  To me it has nothing to do with ethics is all about safety and control. 

Offline Rgrady35

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Growing up in Texas, we called them skillet shots. One shot, fill the skillet for supper.  :drool:
"Beer is proof that God loves us."
Ben Franklin

Offline Shoffy

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:29:18 AM »
I've never ground shot a upland bird on the ground, other than a pheasant that was knocked down, got up to run and was getting away and was too far away. I don't own a dog, so all my bird hunting is jump shooting on foot. Grouse, I'll shoot anytime on the road

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 07:32:26 AM »
No problem for me.  Safety is definitely an issue if dogs are around though.

Back in the eighties I was camped for a month of elk hunting in the OR coast range.  I shot 76 quail for my dinners, only two had bb's in the breast as the rest were head shots with the full choke as they ran through the brush off the roads.  Shoot one in the air in that area and it's going to be a long steep search without a dog.

Offline Heartsblood

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »

I don't think killing animals is unethical! Killing is part of nature and a fact of life.

:yeah:  Part of the cycle. The belief that humans are somehow outside of this cycle, in my opinion, would be disconnection from reality. But that's just me...  :twocents:
"Ting-a-ling! Ting-a-ling!"

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:38:59 AM »
anyone who says they wont shoot a ruff grouse on the ground, or tree or hidin in a stump, they are nuts, or they dont care if they ever get one, i would rather shoot them out of the air but i shoot them on the ground as well, now when we are talkn ducks or geese, i can honestly say that i will not shoot them when they are sittn on the water if we have a kid with us we will let him or her pick one out and shoot in on the sit but after that not
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 08:04:53 AM »
I shoot grouse and turkeys on the ground.  No other game birds unless they are running wounded faster than me.

Offline rotty33

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 08:18:31 AM »
I ground sluice grouse all the time. But pheasants, chukars etc. I let fly. It's pretty rare for them to sit still long enough for a ground shot anyways.

Offline dawei

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 02:15:39 PM »
I grew up in the east hunting pheasant, grouse (we called them partridge), and waterfowl. It was considered very unsportsman like to ground shoot a bird. There were two exceptions, the only bird that was permissible to routinely shoot on the ground was a wild turkey. Secondly was to recover a wounded duck or pheasant trying to run or swim away. For those two situations ONLY, it was permissible to shoot a bird on the ground or water. Later in my military career, while stationed in Virginia, and Arizona; I was introduced to dove and quail hunting. Here too it was considered unsportsman like to "ground sluce" a game bird.  Where I grew up in upstate New York and North Eastern Pennsylvania grouse were very wary; they were only shot over bird dogs. Here in the Pacific Northwest grouse are not wary; their intelligence level is just slightly above a Democrat politician.

Back east they hunt grouse, here; we just shoot grouse.
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 02:25:28 PM »
to each there own if its legal and safe  :dunno: why should it matter to anyone how someone else hunts birds  :dunno: :dunno:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
I'll do it when runnin' the mountain roads for grouse.  I won't sluice anything else on the ground or water though, unless it's wounded and I am finishing it off. :twocents:
Those are my rules.  I don't judge anyone who plays differently.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 02:31:41 PM »
ONE TIME AS I WAS WALKING BACK TO MY CAR AT A PHEASANT RELEASE SITE,.. I CAME UP ON A PHEASANT WALKING DOWN THE PATH.  I GOT READY TO SHOOT,.. WAITING FOR IT TO FLY, BUT IT JUST WOULDN'T FLY,.. SO I WALKED UP CLOSER  ABOUT 5 YARDS WITHIN THE BIRD,.. AND IT STILL WOULDN'T FLY,.. I THREW A ROCK AT IT IN AN ATTEMP TO MAKE IT FLY,.. DIDN'T WORK,  SO I ENDED UP WALKING RIGHT UP TO IT AND GIVING IT A GOOD KICK,..  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  IT FLEW OFF ABOUT 15 YARDS AND GOT BLOWN OUT OG THE AIR.   :chuckle:  :chuckle: 
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 02:33:42 PM »
Here in the Pacific Northwest grouse are not wary; their intelligence level is just slightly above a Democrat politician.

Back east they hunt grouse, here; we just shoot grouse.

:chuckle:
Sometimes grouse will get educated and surprise you.  A democrat politician.......they don't seem to learn. ;)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((ş>` ><((((ş>. ><((((ş>.¸><((((ş>

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
Grouse can actually be quite a challenge to hunt, especially if you get out and walk while hunting them. Many, many times they have only given me a split second to shoot, and usually it's through brush and tree limbs. I will take the occasional grouse that will sit in a tree or on the ground for just long enough for me to get a shot off, but it doesn't happen often. The "dumb" grouse are usually the ones seen from a vehicle while driving gravel roads. Even they very often will not give a person enough time to get out of a vehicle, load their gun, and get a shot off before flying away. I really don't think grouse are given the credit they are due, as a game bird in this state. People, get out there and actually get out of your vehicle and try hunting them. See how many times you can come home with a four bird limit.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
to each there own if its legal and safe  :dunno: why should it matter to anyone how someone else hunts birds  :dunno: :dunno:

Because the author of this topic asked for any thoughts. ;)

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
It's too hard for me to shoot grouse out of the air with my bow...so I stick with the ground shots.

Offline Heartsblood

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Grouse can actually be quite a challenge to hunt, especially if you get out and walk while hunting them. Many, many times they have only given me a split second to shoot, and usually it's through brush and tree limbs. I will take the occasional grouse that will sit in a tree or on the ground for just long enough for me to get a shot off, but it doesn't happen often. The "dumb" grouse are usually the ones seen from a vehicle while driving gravel roads. Even they very often will not give a person enough time to get out of a vehicle, load their gun, and get a shot off before flying away. I really don't think grouse are given the credit they are due, as a game bird in this state. People, get out there and actually get out of your vehicle and try hunting them. See how many times you can come home with a four bird limit.

:yeah:  Agreed. I've still never limited. I've still not hunted grouse over dogs either. I'm willing. Just haven't yet. On bothe accounts.  :chuckle:
"Ting-a-ling! Ting-a-ling!"

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »

:yeah:  I have no problem shooting birds, especially grouse, on the ground.  I've shot more with something other than a shotgun than I have with a shotgun, anyway.

Offline huntinguy

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2011, 07:20:27 PM »
It's too hard for me to shoot grouse out of the air with my bow...so I stick with the ground shots.

why do you let them fly away with your bow?  :bdid:

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »

why do you let them fly away with your bow?  :bdid:
It was a big grouse and it caught me off guard.  Before I knew it, he had my bow and was flying off with it.

Reminds me of a funny grouse story.  Elk hunting up in the wilderness and come upon 4 grouse.  I'm only 10 yards away.  Take an arrow and shoot...misses neck by a half an inch.  Grouse I shot at did not move but 2 of the others scatter.  The 4th was in the bush...will get back to that one.  I take a second shot (wasting my broadheads :P) and this time decapitate the grouse.  Now I go to retrieve the bird...and my arrows.  I pick up my first arrow and come around the bush and there is one just standing there, out of my reach...oh but wait, I have a 29 inch stick pointed stick (a.k.a arrow).  I skewer the bird (not sure if this is a legal means to take a grouse).  I then go to get my other arrow, and pinned right underneath the arrow is the third grouse.  Lets just say I ate well that night.

Offline netcoyote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
Whew! I thought it was just my little secret. I much prefer a bird take a good flush and try to take him with a graceful, well-placed shot. That said, I've been known to take a few that just refuse to fly and seem to be on a death wish. Especially after a long day stomping through the woods without even seeing a bird and then have one standing in the middle of the trail on your way back to the truck. BANG! ...dinner.
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

Offline Ellensburg

• Official Cynergy Club Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 12:59:05 AM »
Hell ya I shoot em on the ground every chance i get with grouse. I even shot a pheasant on the ground last year because it wouldnt fly. I could care less and if you are too stuck up to do it, thanks. More for me.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 06:02:27 AM »
Release pheasants I try to give them a little chance and shoot em on the flush and even that is too easy and doesn't seem fair. Wild birds on the other hand is a differant story. Shooting the head off a sitting rooster is always a nice break after the ten before him eluded you  :tup:
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »
I had to flip a release bird into the air out of a snowbank using my gun barrel once so Weathergirl could shoot it.   :chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:03 AM »
Run like a rabbit, die like a rabbit.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 11:50:56 AM »
Grouse on the ground.....boom.....grouse for dinner. Found two standing stock still on a log. It was like a gift. One facing me, one facing away above it. But the bead on the lower birds head and popped them both. One lost its head the other took the shot in the back and wings, not a pellet found in the breast. We still talk about that one.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 04:09:04 PM »
To each his own, but in my opinion I think it depends on what you're expecting or wanting to get from the experience.  If all you have is a rifle or bow, then of course, have at it.  But with a shotgun, are you out to see your dog work, to soak up the outdoors, and for the challenge?  If so, why would you shoot one on the ground?  There is zero challenge in that.  Do you really need a bird that bad?  I'm not going to go so far to say it's unethical, because it is legal, but I think the birds deserve better personally.  They are a precious resource.  After all, if all you want is something for dinner, why not just go to safeway and get a chicken? 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 04:13:35 PM »
Deserve better?

A moving shot is better for the bird than a quick shot on the ground? Not sure I get where you are coming from.

Hunting is what it is....hunting. We do not do this just for the food, but the fun, and part of the fun is scoring an animal that we can take home and enjoy, unlike your safeway chicken.  If I passed on a bird on the ground, only to kick it up and miss....am I having more fun?

Maybe the most ethical shot is the one where the bird is setting still and not moving?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
I don't have a problem with shooting one on the ground, as far as dog safety I wouldn't shoot if I didn't know where the dog was.  If the dog worked hard for the bird and not shooting it on the ground would result in it running in blackberries, tus losing it, I'd definately shoot.  There has been times I waited also just because I wanted to shoot a flushed bird, altho, it has resulted in a miss before.  Most of the time we just want to have pheasant for supper and when you only get two and pay $90.00 for a tag for release birds you shoot 'em however they come.  It is an expensive dinner either way with alot of good excersise in the process.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:04 PM »
the couple I have hosed were usually near camp when I was not toting my deer rifle.  No dog to worry about, no game to scare away. Just whacking a forrest chicken.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »
I do quite a bit of guiding for NFL players and very wealthy well to do clients with my dogs.  The ground rules are set very clear before we go into the field, no ground shooting of birds period,  for the safety of the dogs and other people in the group.  Twice I have had that rule broken and twice the outcome was the same.  The hunt is over and no refund for their stupidity end of conversation.   I saw a dog take a load of 4's at Cooke canyon and last year at Scatter creek no bird is worth that.  Yes, I might sound like an A$$ but when my dogs are on the ground I'm the boss.  And when spelling it backwards I am the double SSOB.
As it was stated earlier if you need a bird that bad go get a chicken.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »
ONE TIME AS I WAS WALKING BACK TO MY CAR AT A PHEASANT RELEASE SITE,.. I CAME UP ON A PHEASANT WALKING DOWN THE PATH.  I GOT READY TO SHOOT,.. WAITING FOR IT TO FLY, BUT IT JUST WOULDN'T FLY,.. SO I WALKED UP CLOSER  ABOUT 5 YARDS WITHIN THE BIRD,.. AND IT STILL WOULDN'T FLY,.. I THREW A ROCK AT IT IN AN ATTEMP TO MAKE IT FLY,.. DIDN'T WORK,  SO I ENDED UP WALKING RIGHT UP TO IT AND GIVING IT A GOOD KICK,..  :chuckle:  :chuckle:  IT FLEW OFF ABOUT 15 YARDS AND GOT BLOWN OUT OG THE AIR.   :chuckle:  :chuckle:
   :chuckle: :chuckle: my dog usually catches most release site birds... I never take a gun  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Deserve better?

A moving shot is better for the bird than a quick shot on the ground? Not sure I get where you are coming from.

Hunting is what it is....hunting. We do not do this just for the food, but the fun, and part of the fun is scoring an animal that we can take home and enjoy, unlike your safeway chicken.  If I passed on a bird on the ground, only to kick it up and miss....am I having more fun?

Maybe the most ethical shot is the one where the bird is setting still and not moving?

What I mean is that if I wait until it flies and I miss, then fine, the bird wins a chance at life.  Are you having more fun?  Depends on what you mean by fun.  If fun only involves a successful kill and bringing meat home, then I guess not.  If fun means having had a chance to be successful, but I wasn't that particular time, but I still got to experience the thrill of that encounter, then yes, I've had a ball.  You win some, you lose some.   As I said, I think it depends on what we expect or want to get out of the experience.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
For hunting pheasants, chukars, quail, huns, especially with a dog, I never shoot birds on the ground. But to me, grouse are different. Even if I have a dog with me I will shoot one out of a tree. With grouse you don't get much of a chance. If you wait for the dog to point a bird before you ever take a shot, you might not ever get to shoot at a bird. If I shoot one out of a tree the dog at least gets the chance to retrieve a bird.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal