collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ellensburg Coyote Hunting? (winter)  (Read 8250 times)

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
Ellensburg Coyote Hunting? (winter)
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
I hunt the Manastash usually for coyote/elk, but this year ill be going to school at Central (ellensburg)  So I am thinking ahead to where I could hunt some yotes come winter.  I know that the Manastash will be closed for elk during the winter.  Anyone have a recommendation of where I could chase some dogs?  Quilomene?  Or does that close during the winter as well?

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Tracker
Re: Ellensburg Coyote Hunting? (winter)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
Check out the Colockum, Cooke, and Coleman canyons.  They are 3 canyons all next to each other to the northeast (I think) of Ellensburg.  I have bowhunted for elk up there, and you can hear coyotes all over the place during the night.  However, this is a well known hunting area, and I suspect many of the coyotes have been shot at.  Go off the road and hike around a little bit, and I bet you will get into coyotes.
Keep us posted on how it goes,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Offline Recurve-Elk

• Jr. Slaymaster
  • Longhunter
  • Hunting is my passion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Check out the Colockum, Cooke, and Coleman canyons.  They are 3 canyons all next to each other to the northeast (I think) of Ellensburg.  I have bowhunted for elk up there, and you can hear coyotes all over the place during the night.  However, this is a well known hunting area, and I suspect many of the coyotes have been shot at.  Go off the road and hike around a little bit, and I bet you will get into coyotes.
Chris

Are these areas covered in snow during the winter though? I know the Colockum is.

Offline Loki_762

• Accuracy Freak
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Yeah, they are, but there should be areas down in the lower parts where the snow is not too deep that you could drive in or easily walk through.  I would recommend scouting while it's still thawed and get a few ideas, just in case your first choice or two is snowed in.
Good luck,
Chris
Never argue with an idiot - first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Offline rynokron

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »
Whiskey Dick and Quillomene don't get as much snow. Lots of coyotes and bobcats. The green dot roads close to motorized vehicles in Feb for winter elk range. Can still walk in and hunt. I'm new to the forum and looking for hunting partners. Let me know if you want to try make a few stands.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:15:04 AM »
Wenas is Full of them.   Lots of pressure but tons of dawgs.   I can't count how many I have shot off my front porch, how many I hear etc.   If you are good at knocking on doors, you might be in the money.  They really concentrate around farms etc as thats where the food is.  The LT is about half sterile in places.    I hate that sort of thing(knocking on doors).  I kill them becasue of their threats to my critters and I think they are vermin.  If you have any talent at all with calling, you could wack em and stack em.  GOOD "hatch" this year too. 

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »
Wenas is Full of them.   Lots of pressure but tons of dawgs.   I can't count how many I have shot off my front porch, how many I hear etc.   If you are good at knocking on doors, you might be in the money.  They really concentrate around farms etc as thats where the food is.  The LT is about half sterile in places.    I hate that sort of thing(knocking on doors).  I kill them becasue of their threats to my critters and I think they are vermin.  If you have any talent at all with calling, you could wack em and stack em.  GOOD "hatch" this year too.

:yeah: They're everywhere there. We usually just about trip over them a few times while muzzy hunting. September 23rd thru 30th we saw(within 50 yards) about 10 of them while hiking around deer hunting. Every year I swear I'm gonna blast them with the smoke pole but then always hesitate because I don't want to screw up the deer hunt.

Offline deleted BGS

• Scout
  • Shoot to KILL
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Chris

I hunted those areas last year and didnt see a dog... Every one i seen was low in farmers fields. Dont waste your time up there

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »
I hunt the Manastash usually for coyote/elk, but this year ill be going to school at Central (ellensburg)  So I am thinking ahead to where I could hunt some yotes come winter.  I know that the Manastash will be closed for elk during the winter.  Anyone have a recommendation of where I could chase some dogs?  Quilomene?  Or does that close during the winter as well?

Sorry for the post on an old thread. but is this post implying you cannot hunt coyote in the manastash during the winter?? I can look up in regs but figured this is something some of you Vets know off the top of your hea 😏
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 12:24:16 PM »
Some of the area is eventually closed down for the elk, much of it is still open.   Broad statement.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »
Some of the area is eventually closed down for the elk, much of it is still open.   Broad statement.
Thanks bone.
So is it kind of like fishing where there are updates on their site letting you know which sections will close or how could I go about getting info on which sections close? Thanks

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:37:32 PM »
It’s not really like that.   Big portion of the LT Murray is closed to motorized use, but can hike.   Joe watt is closed, Robinson is Closed.  A portion of the Wenas is closed.  It is signed at popular entrance areas.  Avoid the feeding areas, and don’t go through or around locked gates is a pretty good rule of thumb

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
So if I see this, that implies that this portion of LT Murray is still open until feb.1, correct? Some of the other units mention they’re closed til March/may so I assume since it doesn’t say that in this but there’s this notice it is indeed open until then?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
Correct, the motorized vehicle closure starts Feb 1st.   It seems to me there is a closed area over there for all access.  and I’m not sure about access around the windfarm.  Sorry, that’s someone else’s backyard.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 01:36:00 PM »
Correct, the motorized vehicle closure starts Feb 1st.   It seems to me there is a closed area over there for all access.  and I’m not sure about access around the windfarm.  Sorry, that’s someone else’s backyard.
Great thanks again I appreciate it.
So it seems the whiskey dick portion of Lt Murray would be a safe bet. Hopefully I’ll grt a chance to get over there!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand