collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hounds and Beagles. Pictures.  (Read 55773 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Hounds and Beagles. Pictures.
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
I'm proud to say that I'm first to post in here  :chuckle:

So lets see some Pictures of your hounds and beagles. In the pen or with their nose up a tree doesnt matter to me.  :tup:
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Hounds and Beagles. Pictures.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
Here's a picture of some of my past dogs treed on a lion they struck while rigging for bear during bear season in the early 90's, it was a mild strike and a short popup race. Before we headed in to the tree I had figured it might be a lion, this was prior to the hound ban in 96. At the top is a young male lion that we left in the tree unharmed, next down is Rufus, he was the first great hound that I owned, he caught bear, coon, lion, and bobcat and is 11 years old in this photo and he was still going strong, and the lower dog is Jigs, he was another outstanding dog on all types of game.

I miss both of these dogs.  :(
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 12:06:12 PM »
awesome pic bearpaw a walker and a bluetick i believe with a nice cat all up in one tree, damn i dont know if i am gonna like this section, makes me miss mound huntn alot more now and its been along time since ive got to here hounds run  :'(  :'(
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
Heres my pup that just iching to go hunting either in Idaho or Oregon since the bunny hugger won't let us play >:(
Local 3482

Offline time2hunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
Slo Mo and Boulder ready to go again :chuckle:
Local 3482

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:40 PM »
Here's a picture of some of my past dogs treed on a lion they struck while rigging for bear during bear season in the early 90's, it was a mild strike and a short popup race. Before we headed in to the tree I had figured it might be a lion, this was prior to the hound ban in 96. At the top is a young male lion that we left in the tree unharmed, next down is Rufus, he was the first great hound that I owned, he caught bear, coon, lion, and bobcat and is 11 years old in this photo and he was still going strong, and the lower dog is Jigs, he was another outstanding dog on all types of game.

[/quote thats awesome ... very good looking dogs BearPaw !!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
Slo Mo and Boulder ready to go again :chuckle:
seems hounds always chew up sheet when they are Pi$$ed at something in the tree...

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »
VERY COOL THREAD!  :tup:
going after cougar, bear or even bobcats with hounds has been on the top of my bucket list since I was a kid. I even worked all spring and summer for my folks just to get their permission to get a good hound... and then later that year washington state  made it illegal to use hounds for bears and cougars. I was totally devastated to say the least! 

"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:36:06 PM »
This was 1991 if I remember correctly, this was my wife's first cougar tag that she drew. I might have posted this picture before but don't think I told the story. After I got all our hunters filled out for the season we started hunting for my wife's cat. We found tracks pretty much every day but waited for a good one. Finally in one of my favorite areas a nice tom crossed, we turned the dogs out on his tracks at daylight, the dogs followed the cat's cold tracks all over the area, the cat had made tracks during the night circling deer in the area and attempting to ambush the confused deer. Finally in the afternoon the dogs caught up to the cat near the top of a nearby mountain and they treed him after a short quick sprint from where the cat had been bedded throughout the day. One of my friends and I made it to the tree first, just before my wife and another friend got to the tree the cat jumped and ran halfway down the mountain, she saw the cat run right past her with the dogs in hot pursuit right behind the cat, then they treed him again lower on the mountain. This time he stayed in the tree and the best part was the second tree was a lot closer to the truck. Her tom weighed about 155 pounds, skinned out to almost 9 feet, and scored 14 8/16. He wasn't huge, but he was just big enough to qualify for the 3 year B&C awards book. For a few of you who have been in our house, this is the snarling cat on the big rock.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:50:29 PM »
This was 1991 if I remember correctly, this was my wife's first cougar tag that she drew. I might have posted this picture before but don't think I told the story. After I got all our hunters filled out for the season we started hunting for my wife's cat. We found tracks pretty much every day but waited for a good one. Finally in one of my favorite areas a nice tom crossed, we turned the dogs out on his tracks at daylight, the dogs followed the cat's cold tracks all over the area, the cat had made tracks during the night circling deer in the area and attempting to ambush the confused deer. Finally in the afternoon the dogs caught up to the cat near the top of a nearby mountain and they treed him after a short quick sprint from where the cat had been bedded throughout the day. One of my friends and I made it to the tree first, just before my wife and another friend got to the tree the cat jumped and ran halfway down the mountain, she saw the cat run right past her with the dogs in hot pursuit right behind the cat, then they treed him again lower on the mountain. This time he stayed in the tree and the best part was the second tree was a lot closer to the truck. Her tom weighed about 155 pounds, skinned out to almost 9 feet, and scored 14 8/16. He wasn't huge, but he was just big enough to qualify for the 3 year B&C awards book. For a few of you who have been in our house, this is the snarling cat on the big rock.
  Sweeeet... I love just lookin at a nice cat ......I need to get mine mounted so I can look at it !!

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »

I love how uppedy the dogs are in the chase and tree pictures.

I would kill to go hound hunting.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline beagledog

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Man i got to get a camara out in the field this season

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »
That looks awesome beagleman....  :tup:

Offline beagledog

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
Hey Bearpaw
If the dogs treed the cat what the hell treed them dogs :yike:

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:15:30 PM »
I have had a few dogs through the years that thought they were half cat....  :chuckle:

One dog got worse the older she got, found her 25 to 30 feet up trees in Utah before, always figured a fall would kill her, but Beauty finally died of old age (15) here at my place in Washington.

Right now all my dogs are land based dogs....  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]