collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How many people use shooting sticks?  (Read 9865 times)

Offline BlackTail

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: How many people use shooting sticks?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
Yeah, as soon as the larger diameter ones came out I thought they would be the ticket!!  I just looked on Cabelas and can't find them.  Where'd you get yours?

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 12:41:08 PM »
I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:49:51 PM »
Make sure you are not loading up the sticks when you are shooting or you will affect your long range accuracy.  If you are putting weight on them, you are putting an upward force on your barrel or stock that was not there when sighting in off a bench.  This is going to change your barrels vibration and will alter at what point during the vibration the bullet is released.  Use them as a rest w/o putting on weight and you wil be good.  Same goes for bipods.   
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »
I use a bipod. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:11 PM »
I shoot sharp sticks, does that count?

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »
I have used 3 bamboo poles with nails driven in the bottom and with leather wrapped around them. They work fantastic if you're walking around not too far and casually shooting things. It may be a good idea to put a cloth where you rest your rifle if you are concerned about damaging the wood stock in any way. It's not something I use regularly. Most of the time I would rather rest off something else because I don't like carrying things around like that.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 05:39:34 PM »
serious answer now....what he said about carrying things around. 

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »
I use the predator snyper styx for coyote hunting.  They are for a sitting position.  Never used them for anything else.

Same here.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »
Stoney Points for me as well
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
the jury is out for me. i had been using a harris bipod until last year when i got the large diameter stony point sticks that are tall enough for me (6'4") to shoot off of standing up. i killed my buck last year at 295 yards off the sticks from a sitting position and they worked real well. i shot off of them at the range too.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
I have 3 sets of shooting sticks but never have killed anything using them. I was hunting with my cousin one time after having used my tag already, and I carried the shooting sticks for him. He ended up killing a real nice whitetail at about 150 yards that he most likely never would have gotten otherwise. The grass was too tall to allow for shooting prone or sitting so the only option would have been offhand. He may have made the shot without the sticks but then again he may not have. And it was right at dark in the evening. No time to be tracking a wounded buck. As it was he made a perfect shot and the buck went nowhere but down. The only bad thing about it was that it was a good mile out of there and we drug it the entire way. I HATE dragging deer but my cousin doesn't seem to mind...must have a better back than I do.  :bash:

Offline simpleshooter308

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
i had a pair of steady sticks. i used them one time ,  thay were thin and flimsy, and when thay were spread out thay were about 3 feet on each side of me. thay sucked. never did shoot off of them, i bet thay would have broke, lol. plus putting them togeather was noisy. im gona use the primos trigger stick this year, it has a head on it that is adjustable for tilt, and it swivles. its really thick as well. also it automaticly deploys with a pull of the little trigger on it.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »
I keep a taller Harris bipod on my rifle most all of the season. I have two store bought stix, they are a little flim flam is you ask me, too bouncy.....  I made three sets at home. My first one was from two alum. arrow shafts I found, I beefed them up at the pivot with an internal dowel, a bit of camo tape and some black fuel line at the top to reduce noise and scratching. Most all of the sticks seem to short for me. I am not that damn tall, I think I must have about three extra sets of ribs, cause I am all torso... The last set I made are better. (Bigger is better, go ask your wife!) Anyway, last set is made from two garden stake/poles. Plastic over thin steel tube, fiberglass point, did the dowel at pivot trick here too...camo tape....a bit ugly looking, but way taller, way stronger. For turkey I have a monoleg thingy....shotgun can swing in any direction, but did not deploy it on my turkey last year...too excited...forgot about it....
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
I've got a monopod that breaks down like a tent pole, so you can halve the height and use it like a bipod if needed.  Breaks down to fit into a pack.  Have only used it one rifle season, but with great success...had tall grass and no trees, so no way for anything but a standing shot.  The buck was at 200 yards, moving to the ridgeline and dense timber about 20 yards away.  If I didn't have the stick I wouldn't have taken the standing shot.  But it gave me the steadiness to drill him (pic below).  Will always carry it (or something similar) going forward for those situations. 

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
I never hunt without shooting sticks. I learned how well shooting sticks work while hunting in Africa. Sure beats looking for a log to lay the gun on or using a tree limb for a rest.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]