collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why are people posting where they kill their elk?!  (Read 22146 times)

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: Why are people posting where they kill their elk?!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »
I always hunt the cascades so I'm used to it!
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
There are like 3 threads running now where guys are advertising where they are killing their elk.  I am a rifle hunter and don't get to be out there until November, and there's all of these posts with pictures of elk killed in the area I hunt.  I just rubs me the wrong way.  Everyone's welcome to do their own thing but I wish people would not advertise to the damn little detail where they are seeing/killing all of these elk.  Unit plus pictures and/or descriptions of major landmarks, roads, mountains, etc.  Might as well post a map with GPS coordinates.  Do you not want to keep your area's less populated, and force other hunters to work at finding elk just like we all have had to over the years?

Ok, I'm done venting.  Hopefully I didn't offend anyone and I hope you get where I'm coming from.

:yeah:
I don't how many times I have saw guys give areas to hunt on here as well.
I will go ahead and say it since the secret is out, but I'm done with Washington after what I just witnessed in Peaches this year. I thought I was hunting rifle season. I blame most of it on the Game Department. The Unit is ruined!  :bash:
I have been 100% successful in either killing one or having and/or providing a shot for someone. Saw two cows and every honey hole I though I had was highly populated. Talked to a guy that was hunting the Wilderness. There was 16 rigs at Ravens Roost and he said that no one, including the guided guys were getting into elk.
The Muzzleloaders will pay for it because of all the traffic and road hunters with bows. The rifle October 1-10 will as well. There will be bulls in there, but will be very jumpy since 1,000 guys have been bugling and cow calling in there.
I will go back to the state I have hunted for 15 years and pay the extra money for three months of a quality hunt. Good Luck guys!

Offline dscubame

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
All the fish I catch are from the same river, all the deer from the same ridge, and the elk from the same hole...funny thing is I have never actually been on that river, on top of that ridge, or down in that hole. 

Post your story and area but there is no difference if you reference the Blues where every one knows all the elk are rather than Mica Peak where you actually were.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline ldjbuff

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »
Unsure why it bothers me just like the person who started the thread. The only hunters I see are road hunters so it really doesn't effect me, but just bothers me people posting the area. I will now only say I got it in the woods :IBCOOL:

I did however move out of the area and put a few members on my old honey hole, I wont use it again, I figure someone should.

Offline Swannytheswan

• Longhunter
  • Team Predator Sniper
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
Too funny.   No harm, no foul.   I doubt too many internet elk hunters are getting their animals by looking at pics.

P.S.   Please do not post pics of elk taken from where I hunt.

you should tell me where you hunt so I don't post pictures from there...
 :chuckle:
Swanny

Offline cagifford

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
It seems to me, and maybe im wrong, that it doesn't really matter that much if you know what road I hunt on. Im sure that someone has seen your truck parked at your spot and thought that maybe it was a good spot to hunt so maybe you need to make sure you take 3 or 4 trucks and park decoy trucks around your unit/road/camp so that nobody will know where you hunt. Ravens roost has been mentioned so i'll go down that road, you'll do a lot of hiking before you find great spots to hunt up in that area. I hunted up cowichie mill road for years with my bow on private property that recently went from feel free to hunt to no tresspassing and I garentee you would have your work cut out for you finding elk just by knowing that there are elk up cowichie mill road.. There are elk in gmu 346, 356, 360 etc now everyone knows the secret but I doubt that information will increase success rates for anyone on the forum. The trick in my opinion is finding the right draw/clearing/wallow etc and has nothing to do with the unit. Hell people kill elk up around spokane but mostly local guys who know where the relatively small herd resides.

Offline blacktail luv

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Shed Hunting Fool
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
I use the decoy truck thing all the time.  Around here everyone knows who the handful of consistently successful hunters are and they will hunt your rigs.  Where my truck is may or may not be where I'm actually hunting.  I only do this during elk season, good elk spots are to hard to come by. 

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
It seems to me, and maybe im wrong, that it doesn't really matter that much if you know what road I hunt on. Im sure that someone has seen your truck parked at your spot and thought that maybe it was a good spot to hunt so maybe you need to make sure you take 3 or 4 trucks and park decoy trucks around your unit/road/camp so that nobody will know where you hunt. Ravens roost has been mentioned so i'll go down that road, you'll do a lot of hiking before you find great spots to hunt up in that area. I hunted up cowichie mill road for years with my bow on private property that recently went from feel free to hunt to no tresspassing and I garentee you would have your work cut out for you finding elk just by knowing that there are elk up cowichie mill road.. There are elk in gmu 346, 356, 360 etc now everyone knows the secret but I doubt that information will increase success rates for anyone on the forum. The trick in my opinion is finding the right draw/clearing/wallow etc and has nothing to do with the unit. Hell people kill elk up around spokane but mostly local guys who know where the relatively small herd resides.

You make a good point.
But that honey hole doesn't last long if you saw what I saw. I have never ran into another hunter in Peaches in the woods prior to the flood gates opening. I went to my last honey hole before I left for home two days early. Called in a herd bull away from his cows. Problem was I didn't have a bull tag. At least I got to pretend. I thought I was the only person in my spot. Got back to the truck after my encounter and drove down the road and there was a rig a 1/4 mile from where I parked and a huge camp at the end of the road. I have never seen another hunter in there. Not even during Rifle season. There were guys coming out of the timber all up and down the main roads.
That spot and bull will remain secret with me, but it won't be long till someone finds it!  :beatdeadhorse:
Don't be surprised when the season gets over that there won't be a bunch of threads going on the craziness in that unit.  :yike:

Offline kglacken

• Co-Host at ZG Outdoors
  • Sourdough
    • ZG Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 10:31:26 PM »
I will say that 99% of the time, all I ever see in a successful elk hunting story, is the GMU the elk was taken. To me that isn't much of an issue. Anyone can look at harvest reports and see the units where the majority of the elk are killed.
:yeah:

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
trust me blacktail luv they will figure it out.   but those that know the area know how how to hunt the area. give them all the info they want , just don't give them the tools. :chuckle: :chuckle:. good luck see ya soon.

Offline saudog

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
It's guys posting the unit, plus the fact that they were right on the border to XXX unit, plus a picture of a giant recognizable volcano in the background, etc.  Then instead of just saying they got an elk, they say they were in the middle of 3 different herds with shooter bulls running every which way.

When it lands right on you increasingly overcrowded hunting spot, same spot you've been hunting for decades and with your dad, learning it like the back of your hand, it strikes a nerve.  Too much info in my opinion.

And do you really believe the harvest reports?  I don't think that anyone actually a.) tells the truth regarding whether they got an elk or b.) I.D.'s the actual unit they shot the elk in.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
And do you really believe the harvest reports?  I don't think that anyone actually a.) tells the truth regarding whether they got an elk or b.) I.D.'s the actual unit they shot the elk in.

I do, and always have.

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 01:04:08 AM »
Hahaha gotta love Elk hunting, its the farthest shooting gun, fastest vehicle, and the badest mutha f'er when you get there anymore!  That's why I do 100% of my hunting in walk in units for anything.  It's actually getting to a point that the st Helens tree farm is dangerous to hunt, somebody will end up hurt or worse.  Some years back I watched a truck on opening morning trying to get past another truck that wasn't having it and they collided, next thing I'm watching them duke it out in the road in front of me.  Anyways point is, every year new hunters, land isnt getting bigger, no matter your spot somebody else will be there too.  Just got to beat them at the game. Lol
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline sharpeshooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »
Hate to say it, but this site is ruining for good hunters who get out and actually beat the brush to find good spots! Especially when you see someone from California or Ohio post on here that they need a spot to hunt and that one guy says ill pm you and tell you. I don't need to brag about the animals I kill so I don't post them, even though some would make lots jealous. If you got a good spot keep it to yourself and let the weekend warriors figure it out for themselves.

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 03:41:44 AM »
I rarely believe anything I read.  :chuckle: Unless you were there..........the truth of location may never really be known.  :chuckle: :dunno:
Just one more day

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal