collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Firearm restriction question  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Wazzu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Firearm restriction question
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:37:52 PM »
Last year I was heading out to Entiat/Chelan for the second weekend of modern firearm season. I was driving north on Hwy 203 and as I passed the Cherry Valley Unit of the Snoqualmie Wildlife area (just north of Duvall) I spotted a little blacktail spike standing out in the field. I stopped for a few seconds to confirm what I saw then pulled into the parking lot.

Since I was heading out to go hunting I had everything I needed in my car, except a shotgun. Given that this is a wildlife area primarily used for bird hunting my initial instinct was that I would need a shotgun and the appropriate shot to go after a deer in this area. A bird hunter was packing his things up so I mentioned what I had seen and he said I should go after the deer with my rifle. I also must have peaked his interest because I saw him take two or three laps up and down the road looking for the deer after I talked to him. I called a few friends and got their opinions as well,but since I was unsure about my situation I decided to pass on the deer and continue heading East.

• GMU 460 is any blacktail buck so this was a legal deer
  • The firearm restriction boundary is for areas South of Highway 2 & West of Highway 203, Cherry Valley is South of Highway 2 but East of Highway 203
  • The area is outside of Duvall city limits, so it shouldn't be subject to any city ordinances
  • Per the map scudmaster posted (thanks) it does not fall within any King County No Shooting Zones King County
    ( http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/Web/VMC/boundaries/NSArea_Map.pdf )
  • I looked at the WDFW webpage for the Cherry Valley Unit and didn't see anything specific about firearms usage or restrictions. The only thing that caught my attention is that they only list pheasant and waterfowl for "recreational hunting use", while pheasant, waterfowl, and deer are all listed under "viewing opportunities"
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/snoqualmie/unit.php?searchby=unit&search=Cherry%20Valley

To try and answer my own question, I am going to stop by next time I am in the area and read the posted signs to see if they provide any answers, or if I happen to see a Game Warden in the area I will run it by him.

In your opinion, would it have been legal to hunt this deer with my rifle in this area?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:53:07 PM by Wazzu »

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: Firearm restriction question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
No you could not have hunted it..What part of "viewing opportunities" did you not understand  :dunno:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:14:56 PM »
A. I'm not familiar with the property, but wouldn't city/county have jurisdiction on type of firearm that can be discharged there?

B. No need to make stupid comments about the "Viewing Opportunities," comment, as upland birds and waterfowl are also listed under "Viewing Opportunities" but can be hunted there.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
its in king county I believe..its been pheasant release since I was wee thing way back in the early 70's ;) cant say as I recall anyone hunting rifle in cherry valley release area it is surrounded by farm houses and a school up on the hill and rather populated, could see it being a firearms restriction area easily... :dunno:

Offline Seabeckian

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:49:14 PM »
I'm unsure of the area, but rather than making a smart arse comment as the first gentleman did, I would like to offer kudos for passing on an unsure situation. Too many morons out there shoot first and ask questions later. Good job on making the right call in an unsure scene.  :tup:

Offline scudmaster

• Scout
  • Aim Small, Miss Small!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »
Cherry Valley is not listed on the King County No Shooting Map ( http://your.kingcounty.gov/ftp/gis/Web/VMC/boundaries/NSArea_Map.pdf ).  And it is out of the Firearm Restricted Area for WADFW.  And here are the restrictions for King Co, outside the no Shooting areas

"12.68.030 Unincorporated King county where not designated as a "no shooting" area. In all areas of King County not designated by ordinance as "no shooting" areas, except when a person is on his own property or has written permission from the owner, and the discharge of such weapons and the trajectory of any projectile is restricted to said property, it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within five hundred feet of any building capable of being occupied by people or domestic animals or used for storage of flammable or combustible materials or trails used for hiking, biking, or horseback riding, and designated as such in the county comprehensive plan; provided, that the above-referenced distance shall not be less than two hundred fifty feet when the firearm being discharged is a shotgun. (Ord. 4691 § 1, 1980)."

If you watch your distance from the neighboring houses, my opinion, it would be legal. I would check the signage carefully, as well.
NRA Life Member
WA Wild Sheep Life Member
Snoqualmie Elk Mgmt Group
RMEF Member
BHA Member
Blue Lives Matter

Offline Wazzu

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
cant say as I recall anyone hunting rifle in cherry valley release area it is surrounded by farm houses and a school up on the hill and rather populated, could see it being a firearms restriction area easily... :dunno:

I definitely would not seek the area out to rifle hunt, it would have been a one time opportunity (assuming it was legal & safe). And I aboslutely agree with the consideration of the surroundings. One of the people I called is a good friend who lives right across the river/hwy from Cherry Valley.

I would like to offer kudos for passing on an unsure situation. Too many morons out there shoot first and ask questions later. Good job on making the right call in an unsure scene.  :tup:

Thanks!

Offline grizzlyadams

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
Firearms restrictions page 73 of the reg's under "Snohomish".  South of HWY 2 and West of 203 is a restricted firearms area to the king/Snohomish county line. Anything East of 203 is not firearms restricted. Don't know about further south than that. Check with the sheriff's dept. Don't know the property though so I don't know if it was legal to hunt there. Looks like it is not according to the other posts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:43:39 AM by grizzlyadams »
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
I'm unsure of the area, but rather than making a smart arse comment as the first gentleman did, I would like to offer kudos for passing on an unsure situation. Too many morons out there shoot first and ask questions later. Good job on making the right call in an unsure scene.  :tup:
:yeah: :yeah:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
I know some of the areas like northbend  arnt on the map but are posted no shooting unless during a open season
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline wreckerman5357

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 10:23:12 PM »
I will be the second one to thank you for showing restraint and common sense in the face of uncertainty about the legality of shooting this deer. This.kind of sound judgement is what we need to excercise to avoid looking stupid in the non-hunting public's eyes.

That said, I'm glad I don't have to deal with firearms restrictions nonsense over here in God's Country. I understand why they have these restrictions but I imagine it complicates hunting in those areas.

Offline Forrestrover

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560513732
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »
Hmmm... For some reason I thought that there is a shotgun only restriction for the Cherry Valley Wildlife area, but I can't seem to find that information anywhere.  :dunno:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
I know at Scatter Creek Wildlife Area I have not been able to find anything in the regulations or on the WDFW website that says shotgun only. But if you go to the parking lot and look at the signs they have posted, one of the rules says "shotgun only".

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
Hey wazzu, it's funny you bring up that spot and that buck. I saw him everyday for two straight weeks along the highway near the parking area and then he disappeared. He was completely fair game. I heard that a duck hunter whacked him with a shotgun.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 09:35:22 PM »
Did the duck hunter use a steel slug?  :dunno:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]